[net.sport.football] Bears by 8 1/2????? HA

4342bob@homxb.UUCP (R.DEMARCO) (01/02/86)

I just noticed in the paper that the Bears are
favored by 8 1/2 points over the Giants in
Sundays game.  No Way!  Someones gonna lose a lot
of money this weekend on that one.

Predictions for the weekends games:

Miami     38
Cleveland 21

Rams	  28
Cowboys   27

Giants    27
Bears     21

Raiders   20
Patriots  17

				Bob D.

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (01/04/86)

In article <1083@homxb.UUCP> 4342bob@homxb.UUCP (R.DEMARCO) writes:
>I just noticed in the paper that the Bears are
>favored by 8 1/2 points over the Giants in
>Sundays game.  No Way!  Someones gonna lose a lot
>of money this weekend on that one.

If the giants are as good as the bears on defense (not so in my opinion,
but for argument's sake...) the difference will come down to the field
goal kickers, and the Bears have one of the best (this year, all year),
and the giants have one of the worst (isn't he a 5th stringer???
humor...) and he didn't do to well against the 49ers.  Maybe the
Bears will win 9-0.

I personally don't think the giants will do very well in Chicago on
Sunday, but only time will tell.  I know that "on any given Sunday..."
BUT the Bears wiped the field with Dallas (in Dallas), partially
because of emotion (Ditka coached there 9 years), and DALLAS BEAT
the GIANTS TWICE this year, didn't they?

I doubt that Mike Ditka's team will not be ready for any playoff game
this year (even though they might lose).  It just isn't Ditka's style.

BTW, in today's San Francisco Chronicle (or was it the San Jose Mercury
News), a story on the Bears harped on the fact that the Bears are not only
the best team in football (certainly the team to beat, at least), but they
are the youngest (avg. age 25.2 years).  The Bears have had 9 first round
picks in the last 9 years, and 8 of them are starters.

No team in the NFC should be able to beat the Bears, but I am afraid that
the oakLAnd Raiders might be an AFC team that can beat the Bears at their
own game - brutality.  I would be extremely surprised if Miami could
beat the Bears at a neutral site, especially in a game that the Bears
really want to win (want to win as much as the Dolphins do).  If the
Dolphins had already sewn up their playoff position, like the Bears
did, at the time they played, I think the Bears would have won big.  I think
the Bears wanted to stay undefeated, but Miami wanted to make the playoffs
A WHOLE LOT MORE.

Go Bears!!!!

(The opinions in this article are just that - my opinions).

/mykes

jimb@ISM780B.UUCP (01/06/86)

>I just noticed in the paper that the Bears are
>favored by 8 1/2 points over the Giants in
>Sundays game.  No Way!  Someones gonna lose a lot
>of money this weekend on that one.

 Were you one of them?

      -- from the bewildered musings of Jim Brunet,
					Agitator at Large

		  {ihnp4, decvax}!ima!jimb  (most reliable)

		  ucbvax!ucla-cs!ism780!jimb

		  ihnp4!vortex!ism780!jimb

		  or   jimb at ima/*cca-unix.arpa
				   ^
				   this asterisk is necessary!

dday@umcp-cs.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (01/11/86)

In article <30400014@ISM780B.UUCP> jimb@ISM780B.UUCP writes:
>>I just noticed in the paper that the Bears are
>>favored by 8 1/2 points over the Giants in
>>Sundays game.  No Way!  Someones gonna lose a lot
>>of money this weekend on that one.
>
> Were you one of them?

After the game Lawrence Taylor was quoted as saying, "Three or four
plays were the difference in the game."  Yeah, right, LT -- they're
called touchdowns.

Several Giants players were quoted as saying that the Bears' D wasn't
dominating.  WHAT!!??  Check these guys for concussions.  Maybe they
saw a different game than I did.  The Giants:

  had 32 yards rushing.
  were 0-14 in third and fourth down conversion attempts
  had 67 yards total offense in the first 48 minutes of the game (they
         only started moving a little bit after the game was out of reach)
  were held to -11 (that's right) yards total offense in the pivotal
         third quarter.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that this might have been the most
dominating D ever in a playoff game.  Any other suggestions?

--

UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!dday                      Dennis Doubleday
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland

mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) (01/15/86)

I (a Bears fan, resident of Chicago for 22+ years), was rooting for Miami
to win, so that the Bears could really prove that the rest of the NFL should
maybe join the USFL (or some other minor league).  I have never seen a
defense even close to the Bears' this year, including the Bad old Steelers
of yesteryear.  The Bears have had 9 different players on DEFENSE score
touchdowns, not including the Fridge (gotta keep a lot of cold coke in the
Fridge) at running back.  The teams most likely to beat the bears this
year are those whose OFFENSIVE PLAYERS tackle the best!  You can shut
down the Bears offense, but the defense will score anyway... you just
have to score a lot of points against the stingiest defense ever, to
beat em.

I firmly believe that the Bears can lose the Superbowl, as I have said
before.  But it won't be New England beating the Bears, it would be the
Bears beating themselves.  On many occaisions, I have seen teams just
out and out lose, which is radically different than getting beat.  To
me, the Cubs of '84 simply lost the playoffs (they had such a big lead
in almost every game, plus they led the series 3-0).

Although I am a Bears fan, I will not feel bad if they lose the Superbowl,
because in everyone's heart and mind, the Bears have to be the best team
in football - this year, if not of all time.

Pretty funny how easy it is to eat crow in public...

mike schwartz @ 3Com Corp.

richr@iddic.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) (01/16/86)

In article <341@3comvax.UUCP> mykes@3comvax.UUCP (Mike Schwartz) writes:

>I (a Bears fan, resident of Chicago for 22+ years), was rooting for Miami

This has to be taken into consideration before making rash statements like
the following.

>defense even close to the Bears' this year, including the Bad old Steelers

This part is true.

>because in everyone's heart and mind, the Bears have to be the best team
>in football - this year, if not of all time.

In my opinion, in order to be the best TEAM in football, any time, you
must have a balanced DEFENSE and OFFENSE.  The bears have not shown this
ability to me.  The Miami Dolphins (7th best team this year in my mind)
clearly showed that the bears DEFENSE AGAINST THE PASS is less than flawless.
The Bears OFFENSE is lacking in many catagories.  If you were to rephrase
your statement to read.

The Bears have the best DEFENSE AGAINST THE RUN in football - this year,
if not of all time.

To compare the Bears TEAM against early Miami, Dallas, Pittsburgh, and even
the 49ers of last year is ludicrous at best. All of these teams had superb
RUNNING, PASSING OFFENSIVE ATTACKS.  AND a devastating defense.

>Pretty funny how easy it is to eat crow in public...
>mike schwartz @ 3Com Corp.

When postulating whether the BEARS will beat the BEARS.  I say this is a
good possibility.  They seem altogether too cocky and self-assurred.  New
England has shown a unique ability to take advantage of just such
opportunities.

Prediction: Bears by 6.
--
				Rich Rodgers