[net.sport.football] Playoff experience and Bears in '86

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (01/16/86)

>In article <468@tekchips.UUCP> stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl) writes:
>>This will be only the fourth Super Bowl in history in which neither team
>>has been to a Super Bowl before.  The others were Packers-Chiefs
>>(obviously) in '67, Jets-Colts in '69 and 49ers-Bengals in '82.  Can
>>anyone shed some light on what players and coaches from either team
>>have Super Bowl experience?

For the Bears, Mike Ditka has been to the Super Bowl as both player and
assistant coach the Dallas Cowboys.  I can't think of any Bear players
who have been.  Remember, they're the youngest team in the NFL!  I think
that is astounding!!  Remarkably, although the Bears were 3-6 in 1982, the
strike season, over half the current Bears have never played on a losing
Bears team.  Ditka's record in 4 years as coach: 3-6, 8-8, 11-7, 17-1 (so
far this year).  Next year??  19-0 ??  Don't laugh, it could happen!
Because of the quirky nature of the NFL's "parity" scheduling, the Bears
of 1986 play only three teams that made the playoffs in 1985: Cleveland,
Dallas, and Los Angeles.  Based on their 1985 meetings, the Bears should
have no trouble beating Dallas and L.A. again, and the Bears stuff running
teams like the Browns.  The Bears play 8 against their own mediocre division,
4 against the less than mediocre AFC Central, L.A. and Atlanta (1st and
4th in NFC West), and Dallas and Philadelphia (1st and 4th in NFC East).
Should be a another good year for us Bear fans!

But, sorry, I'm getting ahead of things.  Let's watch the Bears stuff the
Patriots and hopefully pitch their third shutout in a row on Jan. 26!!

(However, I never predict scores when my team is in a crucial game.  I
 believe in jinxes.  That's because I'm a Cub fan.  In June, when the Cubs
 were 34-19 and leading the NL East, I foolishly said to a friend, "I don't
 see how they can lose with that pitching staff."  THE NEXT DAY, they
 started a 13-game losing streak.  All their starting pitchers got injured.
 I will NEVER do that again.)
--

UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!dday                      Dennis Doubleday
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland

richr@iddic.UUCP (Rich Rodgers) (01/17/86)

In article <472@gymble.UUCP> dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) writes:

>Bears team.  Ditka's record in 4 years as coach: 3-6, 8-8, 11-7, 17-1 (so
>far this year).  Next year??  19-0 ??  Don't laugh, it could happen!
>Fan of: Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bears, OU Sooners	 (301) 454-6154

This is the same reasoning given by the San Francisco 49ers fans at the end
of last season, and look what happened.  The one constant in the NFL is that
each year will see upsets.  Don't count your chickens...

On another note,
   It seems to me that the last team that could not possibly lose the Super
Bowl probably did.  The famous Baltimore-New York Jets Joe Namath fiasco
comes to mind.  The Jets weren't given a chance, yet won.

   I personally think that Chicago is the better team on any given day,
but all the people who say that New England does not have a chance are either
not looking at history, or are talking with blinders on.

I hope the overconfident Bears are prepared to eat their hats,
Then again, maybe not...

Go Niners,
Go SeaHawks,
--