[net.sport.football] coach of the year

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (01/09/86)

 Well, I'm finally glad to see that at least the NFC (and probably
the AFC) will NOT be won by one of the "dynasty teams" what with
the raidnerds out of the playoffs (I bet Oakland is glad to be rid of them)
but thats another story.  What I'd like to know is just what the hell
did Landry (puke gag!) do to deserve *ANY* votes for coach of the year?
I mean the Pats come out of nowhere and almost win a conference title,
the giants have groomed their offense around Morris so its looking good,
Tampa bay gained alot of yards (now wait... that's something they haven't
done in years) both in the sky and on the ground. (Did I say years?? I meant
Ever!) the Vikings made a pretty decent comeback with Grant comming out
of retirement, The Rams went 7-0 before they lost a game.  I'm not a
professional sports writer but any of those would make me vote for the
man who coached the team.  What did Dallas do?  Well, let's see, they
lost to the Bears 44-0, ummmm..... uhh.... oh I know, they ... no that
wasn't them....oh yeah! they beat the.. no that wasn't them either.
I know!  Maybe the coach is VERY popular.  (go ahead, FLAME my day!)

					Addison
					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf

My brother? I always thought of him as mom and dad's science project.

jmccollum@latour.DEC (01/14/86)

> but thats another story.  What I'd like to know is just what the hell
> did Landry (puke gag!) do to deserve *ANY* votes for coach of the year?
> I mean the Pats come out of nowhere and almost win a conference title,
> the giants have groomed their offense around Morris so its looking good,
> Tampa bay gained alot of yards (now wait... that's something they haven't
> done in years) both in the sky and on the ground. (Did I say years?? I meant
> Ever!) the Vikings made a pretty decent comeback with Grant comming out
> of retirement, The Rams went 7-0 before they lost a game.  I'm not a
> professional sports writer but any of those would make me vote for the
> man who coached the team.  What did Dallas do?  Well, let's see, they

> 					Addison
> 					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf

And where did you think Dallas  would finish this year? Most predictions  I
read didn't have the Cowboys in the  playoffs, let alone on top of the  NFC
East. In fact, the  typical prediction in  the major sporting  publications
had Dallas  fourth  ahead of  only  the  Eagles. Are  you  suggesting  Bill
Parcells is more  deserving? Landry's  team beat  him twice.   Once with  a
THIRD STRING quaterback who had never taken  a snap in a regular NFL  game.
Landry made  a  winner  out of  a  team  with  a lot  of  weaknesses  in  a
competetive division.  You sound like someone whose team has seen a lot  of
disappointment at the  hands of  Tom Landry.  Despite this  year's ups  and
downs for Dallas, Landry is one of the greatest coaches of all time.

		Jim McCollum
		decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-latour!jmccollum
E-Net:		latour::jmccollum
Internet:	mccollum at TOPS20.DEC.COM

eagle@ihlpg.UUCP (John Blumenstein) (01/17/86)

> > but thats another story.  What I'd like to know is just what the hell
> > did Landry (puke gag!) do to deserve *ANY* votes for coach of the year?
> > I mean the Pats come out of nowhere and almost win a conference title,
> > the giants have groomed their offense around Morris so its looking good,
> > Tampa bay gained alot of yards (now wait... that's something they haven't
				.
				.
				.
> > man who coached the team.  What did Dallas do?  Well, let's see, they
>
> > 					Addison
> > 					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf
>
> Landry made  a  winner  out of  a  team  with  a lot  of  weaknesses  in  a
> competetive division.  You sound like someone whose team has seen a lot  of
> disappointment at the  hands of  Tom Landry.  Despite this  year's ups  and
> downs for Dallas, Landry is one of the greatest coaches of all time.
>
> 		Jim McCollum
> 		decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-latour!jmccollum
> E-Net:		latour::jmccollum
> Internet:	mccollum at TOPS20.DEC.COM

*** REPLACE THIS LINE SUPERBOWL SHUFFLE - GO BEARS!!!! ***

I am not sure about Landry getting votes for Coach of the year but
how about Coaching Mentor of Year.  Both Ditka and Berry (NFL and AFL
coaches of the year) were assistant coaches under him.  Has this ever
happen before?  How about the same year?   I think that is impressive.

Will McMahon run for 100 yards?
Will he wear the LATE NIGHT head band? Will it be on his tongue?

Will Wm. Perry rent his back to Goodyear because they can not get the
blimp in the dome?

To find out the  answers tune into the SUPERBEAR (oops) SUPERBOWL game.
--
				John T. Blumenstein
				ihlpg!eagle

Sulu: "They say she has transwarp drive."
Scotty: "Aye, and if my mother had wheels she would be a wagon."

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (01/18/86)

> competetive division.  You sound like someone whose team has seen a lot  of
> disappointment at the  hands of  Tom Landry.  Despite this  year's ups  and
> downs for Dallas, Landry is one of the greatest coaches of all time.
>
> 		Jim McCollum

No, we havn't played them that much recently, and that is the key word
Landry WAS a good coach.  Quite possibly one of the greateset of all time,
so far anyway, but not from what he did this season.  I'd still say that
the 5 votes were from loyal writers who remember the glory years for Dallas.
The sports announcers are no better.  They still can't seem to find what
is good or GREAT about the Pats or Bears or Vik's or anybody else who
hasn't won at least 2 SB's.  They talk about the great gamee so and so had
against the  (insert favorite underdog here) in 1926.  I think those 5
votes were deserved elsewhere in the league.  Even Tampa Bay did a good
(not great) job moving the ball between the 20's.  Landry di nothing
spectacular, nothing that he hasn't done before (except lose) and didn't
deserve the votes.  I also don't think that Ditka should have gotten
coach of the year.  He also didn't do anything spectacular or surprising.
All he did was fine tune and hone a team which he ltierally turned around
3 years ago.  Thats when he should have gotten C of the Y, but he didn't
so its only fair that he got it now.  Actually, based on THIS years
performance, Berry should have won.  After all, the Bears beat them up
at soldier field in sept., and any one will tell you that it won't be
nearly as easy sunday in New Orleans.  Any one who could turn a team around
in less than a season deserves something!  If they win sunday, MORE POWER
TO 'EM!  Its time the dynasty teams were knocked off thier TOO TOO lofty
pedastals!

In article <1044@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:
>After all, the Bears beat them up
>at soldier field in sept., and any one will tell you that it won't be
>nearly as easy sunday in New Orleans. [...]  If they win sunday, MORE POWER
>TO 'EM!  Its time the dynasty teams were knocked off thier TOO TOO lofty
>pedastals!

Can't you let them win the thing at least once before you call them a
dynasty and want to knock them of their pedastal?  Sheesh!

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (01/23/86)

> In article <1044@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:
> >nearly as easy sunday in New Orleans. [...]  If they win sunday, MORE POWER
> >TO 'EM!  Its time the dynasty teams were knocked off thier TOO TOO lofty
> >pedastals!
>
> Can't you let them win the thing at least once before you call them a
> dynasty and want to knock them of their pedastal?  Sheesh!
>
> Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

Rest assured folks, I was speaking about the PATS winning and not calling
either team a dynasty.  Re-read the entire article if your in doubt!