[net.sport.football] Rams/Steelers Boring?

jjc@houxa.UUCP (J.CARBONARO) (01/21/86)

< P.S.  I hope the Pats do surprise me and make it an exciting game.
< I'm sure no one wants a boring Superbowl like the Steelers VS the
< Rams of about 5 years ago.
<
< 	  'Just carrying coals to Newcastle.
<
< ...ihnp4!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

You have to be kidding?  That was one of the few good SBs.  Weren't the
underdog Rams ahead 19-17 in the 4th quarter and then Bradshaw put
it out of reach with a long bomb to Stallworth.  Please don't think I
need Sports Illustrated to tell me what IS and ISN'T exciting, but I
even remember their cover the following week.  It said "THIS ONE WAS
REALLY SUPER" and it showed a picture of Rod Perry (I think) leaping
and missing (by an inch) from deflecting that late bomb to Stallworth.
I remember thinking, "they're right, we finally got a good SB".

tml@druhi.UUCP (Tim Larison) (01/22/86)

< P.S.  I hope the Pats do surprise me and make it an exciting game.
< I'm sure no one wants a boring Superbowl like the Steelers VS the
< Rams of about 5 years ago.
<
< ...ihnp4!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

I remember the Rams/Steelers Super Bowl as one of the best ever.  Most
expected a Steeler rout, but the Rams played them tough the whole
game (leading going into the 4th quarter).

I know most people point to the Dallas/Steeler 35-31 Super Bowl as the
best game ever, but I think the Rams/Steelers game was better.  In
the Dallas/Steeler Superbowl, Pittsburgh had a big lead in the fourth
quarter (35-17) before the Cowboys scored two late touchdowns to
make the score sound respectable.  The Rams/Steelers game, in contrast,
was close all the way until the Steelers scored a late touchdown to put
the game away (31-19).

I'm curious as to what others think was the best Super Bowl game ever.

                                     Tim Larison  ihnp4!druhi!tml

ggr@lanl.ARPA (01/23/86)

> I'm curious as to what others think was the best Super Bowl game ever.
>
>                                      Tim Larison  ihnp4!druhi!tml

For us old Eagle fans, it was 1960, only it wasn't called "superbowl"
back then:

     Philadelphia Eagles 17   Green Bay Packers 14

At Franklin Field (University of Pennsylvania), with "Concrete" Chuck Bednarik
playing both offensive center and middle linebacker for the Eagles.

Thanks for the memory!

jsl@princeton.UUCP (Jong Lee) (01/24/86)

> I'm curious as to what others think was the best Super Bowl game ever.
>
>                                      Tim Larison  ihnp4!druhi!tml

Raiders vs Redskins ... 'cause I made a bundle on that one!

jsl@princeton

tonti@ptsfc.UUCP (Guy Tonti) (01/24/86)

In article <163@druhi.UUCP>, tml@druhi.UUCP (Tim Larison) writes:

> < P.S.  I hope the Pats do surprise me and make it an exciting game.
> < I'm sure no one wants a boring Superbowl like the Steelers VS the
> < Rams of about 5 years ago.
>
> I remember the Rams/Steelers Super Bowl as one of the best ever.  Most
> expected a Steeler rout, but the Rams played them tough the whole
> game (leading going into the 4th quarter).
>
> I know most people point to the Dallas/Steeler 35-31 Super Bowl as the
> best game ever, but I think the Rams/Steelers game was better. ...
> I'm curious as to what others think was the best Super Bowl game ever.

My vote goes for Super Bowl V.  Though it was definitely not one of the
best played games, any game ending on a field goal surely breeds some
excitement. (As a where are they now, does anybody remember Jim O'Brien?)

Also, if my memory is correct, wasn't this the game in which Mel Renfro
of the Cowboys did/didn't tip the ball and John Mackey continue on for
a TD?  This controversy bred some excitement and caused a rule
change later.

Guy Tonti

  * When asked why he went for a touchdown instead of a field goal
    in the 1957 overtime championship game, with a perfectly straight
    face, Johnny U. said, "I had the Colts, and gave 4 points."

bert@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/25/86)

> < P.S.  I hope the Pats do surprise me and make it an exciting game.
> < I'm sure no one wants a boring Superbowl like the Steelers VS the
> < Rams of about 5 years ago.
> <
> < ...ihnp4!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones
>

> I remember the Rams/Steelers Super Bowl as one of the best ever.  Most
> expected a Steeler rout, but the Rams played them tough the whole
> game (leading going into the 4th quarter).
>
> I know most people point to the Dallas/Steeler 35-31 Super Bowl as the
> best game ever, but I think the Rams/Steelers game was better.  In
> the Dallas/Steeler Superbowl, Pittsburgh had a big lead in the fourth
> quarter (35-17) before the Cowboys scored two late touchdowns to
> make the score sound respectable.  The Rams/Steelers game, in contrast,
> was close all the way until the Steelers scored a late touchdown to put
> the game away (31-19).
>
> I'm curious as to what others think was the best Super Bowl game ever.
>
>                                      Tim Larison  ihnp4!druhi!tml

the cowboy/steeler game was more exciting than you described it.  yes,
the cowboys did score two late touchdowns but they almost scored a third
and won the game.  tight end jackie smith dropped a 3 yard pass while
wide open in the end zone to lose the game for the 'boys. no game can
be more exciting than that.

nielsen@hplabsc.UUCP (Walter Nielsen) (01/25/86)

> I remember the Rams/Steelers Super Bowl as one of the best ever.  Most
> expected a Steeler rout, but the Rams played them tough the whole
> game (leading going into the 4th quarter).

> I'm curious as to what others think was the best Super Bowl game ever.
>
>                                      Tim Larison  ihnp4!druhi!tml

How about the 81 Cincinatti/49ers SuperBowl ?  The 49ers goal line stand
had to be one of the most exciting series of defensive plays.

Personally I think that the playoffs (excluding this years) are more exciting
than most Super Bowls.  Two immediately come to mind.. Miami vs San Diego in
1982 (?).  If I recall San Diego took a 17-0 lead in the first 5 to 10 minutes
of the game.  The first half ended with a Miami lateral from one of their WR
for a TD.  I believe that game had two OT were there were 3 missed winning field
goals.  And of course the 1981 49ers/Dallas divisional playoff with THE CATCH !!

Walter Nielsen  (EX-Raider fan unless Marc Wilson is GONE !!!)
ARPAnet: nielsen%hplabs@csnet-relay.ARPA
USEnet:  {ihnp4,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!hplabs!hplabsc!nielsen