[net.sport.football] Bears off-season report

dday@umcp-cs.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (03/13/86)

In article <2064@bmcg.UUCP> marc@bmcg.UUCP (Marc Lee) writes:
>How about the other Super Bowl team?  Any word on Richard Dent's status?
>Is there realistically any chance of signing Todd Bell or Al Harris?

Richard Dent was recently offerred a 3 year, $1.8 million contract.  He's
asking for $2.28 million for 3 years (don't ask me why 2.28).  Bears GM
Jerry Vainisi said Dent could take it or leave it.  After Bell and Harris,
I would say that this is not just a bluff.  Dent should take it.  I believe
it would make him the 3rd or 4th highest paid Bear, after McMahon, Payton,
and (maybe) Dan Hampton. (Actually, if you include outside endorsement
income, Wiliam Perry is probably making more than anybody right now {cf.
current issue of SI}.  Hampton said that they were going to make a movie of
Perry's life story called "The Endorser").
   I believe that there is a good chance that Harris will be traded and that
Bell will be signed, but this is just a guess.  Harris has already said he
wants to be traded because he has too many hard feelings toward the Bears.
Maybe he'll go to the Eagles.  Buddy Ryan always said Harris was worth his
asking price, so let him pay it!  The Bears could get some help in the
secondary in return.  That's one reason the Bears really would like to sign
Bell.  The secondary is thin now that Leslie Frazier will be out for the '86
season. (Dennis McKinnon is not going to play in '86 either, knee problems.)
   I saw a notice the other day that really sorta stunned me.  There was
Mike Ditka saying that he would be "interested" in the Dallas Cowboys head
coaching position when Landry retires.  For the past 3 years he has
repeatedly said that the Bears head coaching position was the job he most
wanted in pro football!  What gives, Mike?!

--

UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!dday                      Dennis Doubleday
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland