[net.sport.football] Team Sports, an observation

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (09/11/86)

In article <1127@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa Silvestre) writes:

> There was one point in one of the NFL games, in which the receiver stopped
> running after he stepped out of bounds, even though the referree had not
> whistled the ball dead yet. The commentators said they figured the runner
> just assumed the ref saw it, and they said something to the effect that
> he should just keep on running because you never know what the refs might
> miss.
>
> If there's one morality pro sports teaches, it seems to be that "it's
> only wrong if you get caught."

  While the commentators may say that, there is another, more important
reason to keep running. If the defenders don't hear the whistle, they are
likely to take a good shot at you. If you aren't prepared for it, you could
be injured. Many injuries occur this way.
  As far as the morality goes, I think what it really is is, "the referee is
always right, even when he's wrong". That means stepping on the white line
doesn't make you out of bounds, the referee *declaring* that you stepped
on the white line (and blowing the whistle) makes you out of bounds. Throwing
the pitch over the plate does not constitute a strike until the umpire
raises his right hand. Etc.

--Greg

fox@bnrmtv.UUCP (Richard Fox) (09/16/86)

> In article <1127@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU>, melissa@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Melissa Silvestre) writes:
> >
> > There was one point in one of the NFL games, in which the receiver stopped
> > running after he stepped out of bounds, even though the referree had not
> > whistled the ball dead yet. The commentators said they figured the runner
> > just assumed the ref saw it, and they said something to the effect that
> > he should just keep on running because you never know what the refs might
> > miss.
> >
> > If there's one morality pro sports teaches, it seems to be that "it's
> > only wrong if you get caught."
>
>   While the commentators may say that, there is another, more important
> reason to keep running. If the defenders don't hear the whistle, they are
> likely to take a good shot at you. If you aren't prepared for it, you could
> be injured. Many injuries occur this way.
>   As far as the morality goes, I think what it really is is, "the referee is
> always right, even when he's wrong". That means stepping on the white line
> doesn't make you out of bounds, the referee *declaring* that you stepped
> on the white line (and blowing the whistle) makes you out of bounds. Throwing
> the pitch over the plate does not constitute a strike until the umpire
> raises his right hand. Etc.
>
> --Greg

Like they say, driving is just like football. You can step on the pedal
until the officer blows the whistle. Anyways, how 'bout them Rams!

brian@vaxwaller.UUCP (zippy the pinhead) (09/16/86)

> Like they say, driving is just like football. You can step on the pedal
> until the officer blows the whistle. Anyways, how 'bout them Rams!

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR SOUR GRAPES ***

Yeah!  How about a team that can only score 16 points each game and
still get lucky enough to win?

Whatever those guys are doing (Holding group prayer meetings at halftime,
performing human sacrifices during warm-ups, or sleeping with sheep) seems
to be working.  They managed to get the clock to run out before St. Louis
could move that last yard, and then this week the voodoo curse worked on
Joe Montana's back.

They shouldn't need any luck for their next three games (although having a
quarterback would be useful).  The three following should be fairly routine
unless the Falcons are for real.  But you can FORGET about week 9. After
they become lamb chops for the Bears the rest of their schedule will become
considerably difficult, and they should end up at 10 and 6 for the season.

These guys will peeter out during the second half of the season, just like
last year.

Condolences to the L.A. area,

Zippy

P.S. While we're on the subject of L.A. --- how 'bout them Raiders!