[net.lsi] HELP! What are these chips?

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (11/06/84)

Some time ago, I purchased a "grab bag" of TTL chips from a Radio Shack store
in Cambridge, England.  Most of them were easily identified, but a few have
me stumped.  I've checked both the "official" books and the D.A.T.A. books
in the digital, interface and memory catagories.  I would just chuck them,
but I've got at least a dozen of each type, so they might be useful.  Anybody
know anything about these gems?

	74117, 74118			{ 14 pins

	239 2106   TB 759933   7202 P	{ all of these are TI trademarked,
	239 2107   TB 759933   7222 P	{ have 14 pins, and are marked:
	239 2111   TB 760432   7239 P	{ "UK MADE".  Probably ROMs?
	239 2115   TB 760532   7144 P	{

	MC14495P			{ Motorola TM, 16 pins

	74119				{ 24 pins

Thanks in advance...

--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

padpowell@wateng.UUCP (PAD Powell) (11/07/84)

[chips? never knew you had to be a cook to build a computer]

>Some time ago, I purchased a "grab bag" of TTL chips from a Radio Shack store
>in Cambridge, England.  Most of them were easily identified, but a few have
>me stumped.  I've checked both the "official" books and the D.A.T.A. books
>in the digital, interface and memory catagories.  I would just chuck them,
>but I've got at least a dozen of each type, so they might be useful.  Anybody
>know anything about these gems?
>	74117, 74118			{ 14 pins
>	239 2106   TB 759933   7202 P	{ all of these are TI trademarked,
>	239 2107   TB 759933   7222 P	{ have 14 pins, and are marked:
>	239 2111   TB 760432   7239 P	{ "UK MADE".  Probably ROMs?
>	239 2115   TB 760532   7144 P	{
>	MC14495P			{ Motorola TM, 16 pins
>	74119				{ 24 pins
>--
>:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
>:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

I propose a little contest, for all you hardware freaks out there.  Suppose we
just sit down, and try and recall/imagine what the beasties are.  Post your
answers, and then go look them up.  I will tally the best guesses/answers,
and reward the winner with a suitable Negotiable Prize.  No "skill testing"
for this one.

My contributions?  Lessee-  74117, 74118- some sort of drivers, I think for
high speed lines. The 2106/2107 are OOOOLLLLLD MOS rams, and should be classed
as "antiques".  Save these, and crack them open, and put them on display
next to a current 64K ram...  2111 and 2115 I think are rams also.

MC14495 is a CMOS gate, uuhhh, I think it just might be a phase locked loop.
Is the 74119 an 8x8 RAM?

Patrick ("I got a crate full here, anybody want more?") Powell

heiss@spp2.UUCP (11/12/84)

> >Some time ago, I purchased a "grab bag" of TTL chips from a Radio Shack store
> >in Cambridge, England.  Most of them were easily identified, but a few have
> >me stumped.  I've checked both the "official" books and the D.A.T.A. books
> >in the digital, interface and memory catagories.  I would just chuck them,
> >but I've got at least a dozen of each type, so they might be useful.  Anybody
> >know anything about these gems?
> >	74117, 74118			{ 14 pins
> >	239 2106   TB 759933   7202 P	{ all of these are TI trademarked,
> >	239 2107   TB 759933   7222 P	{ have 14 pins, and are marked:
> >	239 2111   TB 760432   7239 P	{ "UK MADE".  Probably ROMs?
> >	239 2115   TB 760532   7144 P	{
> >	MC14495P			{ Motorola TM, 16 pins
> >	74119				{ 24 pins
> >--
> >:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
> >:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::
>
> I propose a little contest, for all you hardware freaks out there.  Suppose we
> just sit down, and try and recall/imagine what the beasties are.  Post your
> answers, and then go look them up.  I will tally the best guesses/answers,
> and reward the winner with a suitable Negotiable Prize.  No "skill testing"
> for this one.
>
> My contributions?  Lessee-  74117, 74118- some sort of drivers, I think for
> high speed lines. The 2106/2107 are OOOOLLLLLD MOS rams, and should be classed
> as "antiques".  Save these, and crack them open, and put them on display
> next to a current 64K ram...  2111 and 2115 I think are rams also.
>
> MC14495 is a CMOS gate, uuhhh, I think it just might be a phase locked loop.
> Is the 74119 an 8x8 RAM?
>
> Patrick ("I got a crate full here, anybody want more?") Powell

My contributions - let's see, no peeking in the data books now -

74117, 74118 - JK flip-flops

2107, 2111, 2115 - If the manufacturer were Intel these numbers would
		   indicate MOS RAMs, but those RAMs all need >14 pins
		   (remember 22 pin DIPs?) With all those digits I think
		   you have "house numbered", i.e. non-standard designations.
		   First guess: core memory drivers (maybe 72XX)
		   Second guess: DTL logic

MC14495 - Motorola's fabulous CMOS latch-seven-segment-decoder-driver

Is the 74119 a 16 bit shift register?

On cracking open chips: the ceramic-sandwich packages are easily split
with old diagonal cutters, but what about the plastic packages?  What tool
or chemical will expose the silicon for viewing?

	-Robert  ...!{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!spp2

ken@rochester.UUCP (Ken Yap) (11/13/84)

In article <251@spp2.UUCP> heiss@spp2.UUCP writes:
>On cracking open chips: the ceramic-sandwich packages are easily split
>with old diagonal cutters, but what about the plastic packages?  What tool
>or chemical will expose the silicon for viewing?

You probably need a chemical that will dissolve the plastic (if such
a chemical exists). These things are totally encapsulated (i.e. no cavity
inside).

	Regards,
--
	Ken Yap

	UUCP:	(..!{allegra, decvax, seismo}!rochester!ken)
	ARPA:	ken@rochester.arpa
	USnail:	Ken Yap, Dept. of Comp. Sci., U. of Rochester, NY 14627.

jack@vu44.UUCP (Jack Jansen) (11/15/84)

Well, about the use of chips found in Radio Shack collections :
The best use for them is usually either an Inclusive-Allways
or an Exclusive-Never gate.
Below is a print layout for use with 14 pin chips. I leave it to
your own imagination how to make a print for chips with another
number of pins.

Gnd  o---+-+-+-+-+-+-+---o (a)
	 | | | | | | |
	 O O O O O O O
		     (b) o----o Output
	 O O O O O O O
	 | | | | | | |
Vcc  o---+-+-+-+-+-+-+---o (c)
By inserting a jumper from (a) to (b), the circuit functions as
an Exclusive Never gate, and by inserting one from (b) to (c)
it is an Inclusive Allways gate.
Another use is to put a jumper from (a) to (c), in which case
the circuit becomes a Protected power supply protection tester.

By the way: It doesn't really matter where you put pin 1 of the
chip, since the design automatically adapts to IC's that are
put in backwards.
--
	Jack Jansen, {seismo|philabs|decvax}!mcvax!vu44!jack
	or				       ...!vu44!htsa!jack

proximo@vectron.UUCP (proximo) (11/16/84)

Try heat. There are machines sold out there to companies that want to disscect
packaged chips (don't ask me about them, I only know that they exist) that
remove chips from the plastic by burning it away. Someone I knew did this
on his own and it worked perfectly. You might want to try it a couple times
on junk chips to make sure that you have the right temperature.

/Dave Edick/
....!ucbvax!dual!vectron!proximo

chip@t4test.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (11/16/84)

> From: ken@rochester.UUCP (Ken Yap)
> Date: 13 Nov 84 17:23:34 GMT
>
> In article <251@spp2.UUCP> heiss@spp2.UUCP writes:
> >On cracking open chips: the ceramic-sandwich packages are easily split
> >with old diagonal cutters, but what about the plastic packages?  What tool
> >or chemical will expose the silicon for viewing?
> >
> You probably need a chemical that will dissolve the plastic (if such
> a chemical exists). These things are totally encapsulated (i.e. no cavity
> inside).

If anybody really wants to know what the chemical is, send me mail.  I
could check with the quality engineering lab.  Those folks are always
opening parts for inspection.

While I don't know the name of the chemical offhand, I do know it is
a difficult process to etch back the plastic without damaging the die
or lead frame.  But I suppose if you are opening cer-dips with diagonal
cutters, you aren't real concerned with cracking open a chip without
damaging it.

--

Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{cbosgd,idi,intelca,icalqa,kremvax,qubix,ucscc} ! {t4test,t12tst} ! {chip,news}

cdshaw@watmath.UUCP (Chris Shaw) (11/18/84)

Taking apart plastic packages can be done with almost any respectable
epoxy removing chemical (I don't do this sort of thing personally, so I
don't know names of chemicals offhand)
     						CD Shaw