[net.lsi] SPICE III?

hu@smu (10/09/86)

SPICE III:

Does anyone knows how to get a copy of SPICE III which seems to be written
in C from Berkeley?

Thanks in advance.

Yu Hen Hu
hu@smu

faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) (10/11/86)

In article <29100008@smu>, hu@smu writes:
> Does anyone knows how to get a copy of SPICE III which seems to be written
> in C from Berkeley?

Spice 3 is written in C and runs on lots of machines, including IBM
PC's, VAX UNIX, VAX VMS, etc, and has lots of new features like
graphics and new device models.  Send mail to the following address for
ordering information:

	Cindy Manly
	EECS/ERL Industrial Support Office
	University of California
	Berkeley, Ca.   94720
	(415) 643-6687

I think it's something like $100 processing and shipping fee, but write
to be sure.

	Wayne

In article <1075@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU>, faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
>In article <29100008@smu>, hu@smu writes:
>> Does anyone knows how to get a copy of SPICE III which seems to be written
>> in C from Berkeley?
>Spice 3 is written in C and runs on lots of machines, including IBM
                                                                 ^^^
>PC's, VAX UNIX, VAX VMS, etc, and has lots of new features like
 ^^^^ ?????
>graphics and new device models.  Send mail to the following address for
>ordering information:
>	Cindy Manly
>	EECS/ERL Industrial Support Office
>	University of California
>	Berkeley, Ca.   94720
>	(415) 643-6687
>I think it's something like $100 processing and shipping fee, but write
>to be sure.
>	Wayne

DISCLAIMER:  THIS IS FROM MEMORY

Last time I looked, it was $150, may have gone up (or down?) by now.  The
info sent to a friend who ordered SPICE in C indicated that it did not yet
run successfully on PCs (IBM or otherwise) because of the poor job that
the C compilers available for the PC did on the SPICE code (Lattice was
said to be the closest to working right, I think).  If anyone HAS succeeded
in getting SPICE (in C [or even the older Fortran version]) to run successfully
on a PC, speak up please.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
	   go for it!  			allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy

faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) (10/13/86)

In article <1235@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
> The
> info sent to a friend who ordered SPICE in C indicated that it did not yet
> run successfully on PCs (IBM or otherwise) because of the poor job that
> the C compilers available for the PC did on the SPICE code (Lattice was
> said to be the closest to working right, I think).  If anyone HAS succeeded
> in getting SPICE (in C [or even the older Fortran version]) to run
> successfully on a PC, speak up please.

It runs on PC AT's and compatible machines, compiled with the Lattice C
compiler.  We distribute source only, so you will need to buy the compiler
also.  Of course, because of memory constraints you can't run large circuits
or compile in all the device models simultaneously, and you have to run the
post-processor (nutmeg) seperately as opposed to running the interactive
version of spice with the plotting, etc routines built in.

	Wayne

stern@princeton.UUCP (10/14/86)

Spice 3.0 is available from Berkeley.  To get it,  you need to send
a check for $150.00 (US dollars) to:

	Cindy Manly
	ILP/ISO Office
	497 Cory Hall
	University of California at Berkeley
	Berkeley, CA 94720
	(415) 643-6687

Specify the version you desire (VMS, UNIX, etc).  It takes 4-6 weeks
for the tape to arrive.  You *must* send a check with the order.

We got this about a week ago; haven't installed it yet but from
a quick scan of the manuals it looks real good.

--Hal Stern
  Princeton University
  {ihnp4, allegra, seismo}!princeton!stern

james@reality1.UUCP (james) (10/16/86)

In article <1235@ttrdc.UUCP>, levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
> The info sent to a friend who ordered SPICE in C indicated that it did not yet
> run successfully on PCs (IBM or otherwise) because of the poor job that
> the C compilers available for the PC did on the SPICE code (Lattice was
> said to be the closest to working right, I think).

Microsoft has an excellent compiler that should do just fine.  It is as clever
at optimizations as most C compilers, and is a complete implementation of the
language.  Microsoft version 4.0 is the current version of the compiler,
although version 3.0 should also be capable of compiling anything.

--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!ut-ngp!utastro!osi3b2!james    "Live Free or Die"

faustus@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) (10/16/86)

In article <33@reality1.UUCP>, james@reality1.UUCP (james) writes:
> Microsoft has an excellent compiler that should do just fine.  It is as clever
> at optimizations as most C compilers, and is a complete implementation of the
> language.  Microsoft version 4.0 is the current version of the compiler,
> although version 3.0 should also be capable of compiling anything.

The problem we have run into with most PC compilers is that they simply
haven't been tested well enough with large floating-point programs like
spice3.  I think we had some problems with earlier versions of the Microsoft
compiler in this area.  If you are able to compile spice3 with any compilers
you have besides lattice, we'd like to hear about it...

	Wayne