[net.rec.boat] Outboard water pressure

lagasse@biomed.UUCP (Robert C. Lagasse) (05/17/85)

Outboard engines use a rubber impeller as a cooling water pump and from what
I have been told by several outboard mechanics is that this part will burn
up and turn into little rubber bands in seconds if the engine is not
immersed in water while running.  Once this part fails, the engine will
overheat and (probably several minutes later) set off the high temperature
"hot" horn (which only the larger engines are equipped with) indicating that
the pistons have or are about to seize.  You are supposed to keep an eye on
the little "water indicator" hole that pisses into the water while the
engine is running assuring you that the rubber impeller is still turning O.K.
  OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) sells a water pressure gage which mounts on the
dashboard and comes "with tubing" so I suppose you have to run a hose from
the engine to the gage.  Still, you have to keep an eye on the gage.
  I have installed a fluid pressure switch at the engine by cutting the hose
that runs to the "water indicator" and inserting a tee connector to feed the
switch.  A pair of wires run up to the dashboard where a piezo buzzer is
mounted.  The buzzer sounds for a few seconds on start-up until the water
pressure rises which clicks the switch contacts open.  The power is tapped
from the "ignition on" + lead so all is quiet when the key is off.  This
also lets me know when I have left the key on without the engine running.
Any comments ??????
Bob Lagasse Biomed Eng. MGH

rls@ihu1g.UUCP (r.l. schieve) (05/17/85)

> Outboard engines use a rubber impeller as a cooling water pump and from what
> I have been told by several outboard mechanics is that this part will burn
> up and turn into little rubber bands in seconds if the engine is not
> immersed in water while running.  Once this part fails, the engine will
> overheat and (probably several minutes later) set off the high temperature
> "hot" horn (which only the larger engines are equipped with) indicating that
> the pistons have or are about to seize.  You are supposed to keep an eye on
> the little "water indicator" hole that pisses into the water while the
> engine is running assuring you that the rubber impeller is still turning O.K.
>   OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) sells a water pressure gage which mounts on the
> dashboard and comes "with tubing" so I suppose you have to run a hose from
> the engine to the gage.  Still, you have to keep an eye on the gage.
>   I have installed a fluid pressure switch at the engine by cutting the hose
> that runs to the "water indicator" and inserting a tee connector to feed the
> switch.  A pair of wires run up to the dashboard where a piezo buzzer is
> mounted.  The buzzer sounds for a few seconds on start-up until the water
> pressure rises which clicks the switch contacts open.  The power is tapped
> from the "ignition on" + lead so all is quiet when the key is off.  This
> also lets me know when I have left the key on without the engine running.
> Any comments ??????
> Bob Lagasse Biomed Eng. MGH

Sounds like a good idea but you may be a bit paranoid.  I know how
expensive outboards can be but I also know that they are more durable
than most dealers would have you believe.

I do have a question about the water pressure gauge OMC provides.
Is it a go/no go indication or is it calibrated in PSI.  I haven't
had to change the water pump on my 140 hp yet but I have on smaller
OMC engines and what often happens is several of the impeller fins
or blades (whatever they are called) break off.  The pump still
functions but at reduced capacity.  Having seen this happen it seems
wise to periodically replace the impeller but I do admit I had a lot
more confidence tearing into a 20 year old 18 hp than a relatively
new 140 hp with a replacement value somewhere around $6000.

				Rick Schieve

mike@amdcad.UUCP (Mike Parker) (05/17/85)

In article <53@biomed.UUCP>, lagasse@biomed.UUCP (Robert C. Lagasse) writes:
> Outboard engines use a rubber impeller as a cooling water pump and from what
> I have been told by several outboard mechanics is that this part will burn
> up and turn into little rubber bands in seconds if the engine is not
> immersed in water while running.  Once this part fails, the engine will

If you have an outboard ( or fro that matter inboard ) engine that has
been in storage for a period of years. In my case a brand new Volvo
marine engine that had set for 2 years. The impeller may have died
of "dry rot". For what they cost it help to have a spare around the
first time you start such an engine.

>   I have installed a fluid pressure switch at the engine by cutting the hose
> that runs to the "water indicator" and inserting a tee connector to feed the
> switch.  A pair of wires run up to the dashboard where a piezo buzzer is
> mounted.  The buzzer sounds for a few seconds on start-up until the water
> pressure rises which clicks the switch contacts open.  The power is tapped
> from the "ignition on" + lead so all is quiet when the key is off.  This
> also lets me know when I have left the key on without the engine running.
> Any comments ??????
> Bob Lagasse Biomed Eng. MGH

Nice idea, wish it was mine. The volvo has an analog temperature
guage but you don't see the problem until you're miles from home
and hot.

Mike

lagasse@biomed.UUCP (Robert C. Lagasse) (05/20/85)

  Reply to Rick Shieve @ AT&T Labs:  The OMC water pressure gage is
uncalibrated.  I have seen one since I wrote the original article.  The
installation instructions tell you to note the normal position of the needle
for your engine when running and any future deviation of this reding could
indicate a problem.  Apparantly, the gage is for use with all sizes of
engines.    Bob Lagasse Mass. Gen. Hosp.

tj@utcs.UUCP (tj) (05/29/85)

This sounds like a very good Idea. I have never seen the "horn" on a motor
but Mercury motors (don't know if all models) have a thermal switch that is
mounted on the block that cuts off the ignition when it overheats. (A
horn CAN be ignored...)

I personally fried a 75 horse motor due to lack of water cooling. A water
deflector plate was missing on the lower unit. I started the motor and
checked that water was flowing, it was... great I says... I roared off into
the never never only to discover that at high speed the deflector is needed
to properly fdeflect water into the cooling system. When I slowed, water then
returned to the system and turned to steam as it hit the cylinders...
They didn't crack, but they was fried... A guage would have helped.

I can also say that the owner before us told us that he personally had
fried a pump impeller by running it dry. Rubber is just rubber...

t.jones