[net.rec.boat] Spinnakers on small cats

edo@mtung.UUCP (Eric O'Brien) (08/28/85)

Does anyone have any information on running a spinnaker (or more reasonably a

blooper) on an 18' or 19' cat (Prindle or Hobie)?  I saw some pictures

of them in the Whirl (sp?) 1000, and would love to try it.

Eric O'Brien
ihnp4!mtung!edo

sas@duke.UUCP (Steve A. Shumway) (09/03/85)

In article <600@mtung.UUCP> edo@mtung.UUCP (Eric O'Brien) writes:
>Does anyone have any information on running a spinnaker (or more reasonably a
>
>blooper) on an 18' or 19' cat (Prindle or Hobie)?  I saw some pictures
>
>of them in the Whirl (sp?) 1000, and would love to try it.
>
>Eric O'Brien
>ihnp4!mtung!edo

In the Sept./Oct. edition of Hobie Hotline (available at any Hobie
dealer) there is an article about the modified Hobie-18 used in this
year's Worrel 1000. It describes the modifications used to add a spinnaker
pole (among other things) for the race, although If I had an 18 (I have a
16) and were considering the mods I'd want a little more detail before
I started on the job.

Steve Shumway
duke!sas
sas%duke@csnet-relay