[net.politics] Back to Grenada

grunwald@uiuccsb.UUCP (11/22/83)

#N:uiuccsb:11000076:000:2428
uiuccsb!grunwald    Nov 21 19:41:00 1983

Reprinted from In These Times, vol 8, no 3. (alas, without permission)

If all it took was the agreement of the consitutional law scholars, U.S. Rep
Ted Weiss' (D-N.Y.) conention that President Reagan broke the law by invading
Grenada would have a lot of support. Consitutional experts from former
Supreme Court Justice Arthur Goldberg to the faculty of of the University of
North Carolina law school to the lawyers of the National Emergency Civil
Liberties Committee have condemned the invasion as a violation of Congress'
power to declare war, as well as the charters of the United Nations and
the Orginizations of American States. So why does Weiss' resolution to impeach
Reagan for that constitutional breach look  and yet a vast majority of people support it.'
My understanding of the Constitution is that its provisions apply whether
a majority of people support it at a given time or not."

-- End of excerpt --

So, lets stir a little debate. Anyone out there an expert in constitutional
law?
   We must note that this is not refering to the War Powers Act, and thus,
the question of the legality of that Act, from the view of the Legislative
Veto being axed a while ago, is moot.

   What defines the legal limits the president can go to in using troops?
Anyone from North Carolina here?

Dirk Grunwald
University of Illinois
USENET	: ihnp4 ! uiucdcs ! grunwald
CSNET	: grunwald.uiuc@Rand-Relay
992
From: rossen@uiuccsb.UUCP
Newsgroups: net.records
Subject: Remember a song about Stevie Nicks? - (nf)
Date: Mon, 21-Nov-83 22:31:56 EST

#N:uiuccsb:11800005:000:500
uiuccsb!rossen    Nov 21 09:59:00 1983

Sometime in 1978 or 1979 I remember hearing a relatively pornographic
song on a bizzarro Sunday morning syndicated FM-AOR-station-type program
. . . most of it had to be bleeped . . . it was called "Sit on My Face,
Stevie Nicks."  I recall reading about her being not at all amused by
the song.  Does anybody have a copy of it or know the name of the (novelty)
band that recorded it?

                                       Ken at UIUC
                                          (...!uiucdcs!rossen)
2011