[net.politics] TDA and the Soviets

berman@ihuxm.UUCP (Andy Berman) (11/22/83)

Concerning ABC's film on Nuclear War "The Day After," Michael R. Zboray writes:

>But now who is going to show this film to the 10 - 20 million
>communist party members of the USSR?
>Who is going to make it frightfully clear to them that this is
>ridiculous?
    [Whatever one's view of the USSR is, can it be disputed
     that the Soviet government and people are painfully
      aware of the effects of war? We are talking of a nation
      that was literally ravaged by WWII with a loss of 20 million
      people...touching literally every family in the USSR.
      In the USSR one never hears or reads
      the kind of insane and chauvenistic
      "nuke the bastards" crap that one hears in
         so often in the USA]

>There is no need to show TDA to the entire population of the USSR.
>They have very little contorl over thier lives anyway.
>I'm afraid that ABC has  put the fear into only half of the people that
>need to be afraid.

         [Reading Soviet propaganda or speaking to any
         visitor almost invariably indicates that there is a
         painful awareness and concern over the danger
         of nuclear war in all levels of Soviet society.

        As far as control over our lives, I fear that the
        lack of control over our destiny is a common
        feeling these days, among Americans and Europeans
        as well.  So much of the discussion I have heard
        since the film is of the theme "well, its hopeless
        anyway, ordinary people can't do anything"]

>We are dealing with people who have a very different perspective on the
>world.

     [My understanding is that Soviet people look very much
      like us, and share the same concerns about family, job
      health, love, as we do.]

>What other country has murdered millions of its own citizens as the USSR
>has under the leadership of Uncle Joe?

       [Stalin has not been in power for 30 years. He
        is looked upon with a very mixed view by the
        current authorities. He has been openly
        criticized for victimizing innocent people
        since his death.]

>I think that the best thing that could happen is for the people of the
>USSR to see TDA.
       [I agree. As a matter of fact ABC did show it
        to Soviet officials at their request about
        a week before the public airing here. But
        again, I don't think the Soviets need quite
        the reminder of the horrors of war that we
        Americans seem to need so badly]

>There is a common thread between us and that is the fear of death.
     [Right on]

>But trust them?
       [A bogus argument. As former Sect'y of Defense McNamara
        pointed out in the ABC discussion following the film:
          1) There are extremely accurate means (e.g. sattellites)
             to very any arms argreement with the USSR
          2) The Soviets have a good track record in complying with
             SALT  (Again, McNamara says that!)
         So "trust" is not really involved in the sense of
           surrendering anything or lowering our security]

>Lets stop now and figure out a way back.
   [Great idea.  A good start would be to examine more
    closely the nature of the USSR, to come to an
    understanding that it is NOT the incarnation of
    hell on earth; that it is a society in transition,
    with many shortcomings to be certain,
    with a lot to learn about tolerance of dissent;
    that it's people have rising hopes and expectations
    for improving their material well-beings; that
    the USSR was our staunch ally in the fight
    against Nazi Germany; that there is room for
    serious dialog and discussion.]

   RED-BAITERS AND FLAME THROWERS, PLEASE DO IT IT NET.FLAME
   Let's keep the serious discussion here.

              Andy Berman

eich@uiuccsb.UUCP (11/24/83)

#R:ihuxm:-72400:uiuccsb:11000077:000:1289
uiuccsb!eich    Nov 23 23:42:00 1983

/***** uiuccsb:net.politics / ihuxm!berman /  5:39 pm  Nov 22, 1983 */
Concerning ABC's film on Nuclear War "The Day After," Michael R. Zboray writes:

>But now who is going to show this film to the 10 - 20 million
>communist party members of the USSR?
>Who is going to make it frightfully clear to them that this is
>ridiculous?
    [Whatever one's view of the USSR is, can it be disputed
     that the Soviet government and people are painfully
      aware of the effects of war? We are talking of a nation
      that was literally ravaged by WWII with a loss of 20 million
      people...touching literally every family in the USSR.
      In the USSR one never hears or reads
      the kind of insane and chauvenistic
      "nuke the bastards" crap that one hears in
         so often in the USA]

Au contraire.  In the Soviet Union one hears a great deal of insane
and chauvinistic crap about the "Great Patriotic War."  The 20 million
dying to defend their homes got a far better deal than the 20 million
Stalin killed.  World War II is viewed with nationalist nostalgia by
White Russians.  So stop repeating nonsense picked up from Georgi
Arbatov or Joe Oblomov, or whichever Kremlin flunky it was who tried to
put this one over on Ted Koppel.  See Hedrick Smith's "The Russians."