[net.politics] Re. 3'rd World hand-outs

cdanderson@watarts.UUCP (02/02/84)

From: cdanderson@watarts.uucp (Cameron D. Anderson)
Newsgroups: net.politics
Title: Re: More Joy of Starvation - (nf)

      The 3'rd World is, in fact, asking to be compensated for the rapaciousness
of our past and present policies/actions. The organization in charge of presenting these concerns is the "Group of 77", a U.N. coalition now numbering over
110 countries. I suggest that people read some of the their initial documents
(available in any library stocking U.N. reports).
      Regarding the assertion that the 3'rd World demands 20'th C. technology
be handed them on a silver platter, it becomes apparent that, in many cases,
these countries do not want our technology, but that appropriate to their
situations. They could use low-capital equipment designed for
the prevailing social patterns (if anyone has done much travelling in
South America or Africa you will note that the cultural patterns are
different than ours, qu'el surprise, eh! |-) ).  Unfortunately, the World
Bank and I.M.F. refuse to back most such requests in favour of those
which will bring about a North American clone colony.
      n.b. While the above is a good overall view, some anomolies in
statements before the U.N. and other bodies do occur because it is
elite>elite trade and not really people>people dialogue. This is
more prevalent in tech. trade question (eg. nuclear power for the
Phillipines) than of culture. On the latter issue, a very strong demand
has been made for a 3'rd World news dist. system and a curtailment of
outside ones. Yes!, this has also been painted as a government propaganda
tool for the 3'rd World by US.
       For references to the Group of 77, please contact me by mail.
If I receive a "great" number of requests, I will post them on the
net. Otherwise, to mailboxes.

        Have fun,
                C.D. Anderson (another one from wat___)