[net.politics] Native Americans

amra@ihuxj.UUCP (Steven L. Aldrich) (02/09/84)

      To those of you who assert that the U.S. isn't occupying any
     country or group, I suggest you speak to the members of the various
     Native American tribes (American Indians) before making anymore
     comments of this nature. The native american tribes are still primarily
     kept from society, quality education, jobs, professional occupations,
     etc. When was the last time you heard of major gains being made to
     correct this ongoing problem. Why do we still have reservations???
     Why does the subject of Native American Rights rarely, if ever, get
     mentioned. As far as I'm concerned, we have been an occupational
     force upon this soil for about 400+ years. We destroyed an awful lot
     of cultural/social groups way of life, sent in the missionaries to
     convert them to the "correct" religion, stole their land, raped the
     environment for short term goals, then have the audacity to call our
     group civilized, and the native americans culture barbaric. What a
     crock!!!

             Comments/views/opinions/critisism can be sent to:
                  IHNP4!IHUXJ!AMRA or POST TO THIS NEWSGROUP

                             PEACE & BEST WISHES
                           From the ever curious mind of:
                             Steve Aldrich (ihnp4!ihuxj!amra)

       P.S. I have my water cannon ready for any flames
            that come my way!! Also armed the HALON SYSTEM just
            in case it's needed!

hammy@hou2d.UUCP (P.HAMILTON) (02/10/84)

Steve Aldrich states the native American indians are "kept from society,
quality education, jobs, and professional occupations".  I really disagree
with such a statement.

First of all, the federal government gives a great amount of financial
aid to indians living on reservation land.  I believe that this aid includes
free housing, free medical services, and free education in addition to an
annual income.  Secondly, I believe that native American indians who want
to get a college education or professional job off of the reservation land
are actually aided by their ethnic background.  In this regard, minority
status is an advantage.

However, many indians decide to remain on reservation land.  One might
argue that this is because they would lose their federal aid, and I'm
sure in many cases this is a primary factor.  But, I think that the most
important factor is that most indian communities are very ethnocentric.
Most of the indians would rather remain in their own cultural environment.
Those that do leave to get an education often return to the reservation
to apply their skills to their community.

Also, to the argument that indian tribes were put on land from which they
could earn no living, I say "Not always, buffalo-breathe!"  In Arizona,
the Apache tribe has the best land in the state, with large amounts of
income from recreation (skiing, hunting, fishing, and camping), mining,
and livestock grazing.  Most of the other tribes' reservation land is
on anciant tribal grounds also.

Anyway, I try not to speak with forked tongue, unlike Steve, who I think
was just blowing smoke signals out his *ss with that statement.

                                 I can't wait to get home
                                 and smoke my PEACEpipe,

                                 Pat Hamilton (hou2d!hammy)

P.S. A joke in case I haven't offended anybody yet:  What did Geronimo's
Jewish American Princess squaw make for dinner??.....

     ........reservations, of course!!!!

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (02/10/84)

I just have to put two cents worth in on this one.  I would invite
any of those who say that the American Indian Population in this
country is well off to visit a reservation.  What you call "free
federal Housing" would not pass for ghetto sub-standard housing
anywhere else in this country.  As for wanting to stay on the
reservation.  Horse-puckey.  Move off the reservation and you
lose everything.

I was raised in an area where there were, and still are, 15 different
reservations.  I was through that area two years ago and was sickened
by what is still happening to the local indians.  Unemployment runs
at a more than 50% rate.  Health care is almost non-existant.  Housing
consists of run down 1950s house trailers.  Some of the children are
bussed over 60 miles daily to go to school.  Is it any wonder that they
have a large dropout rate.

The monumental mounds of red tape involved in getting just the most
minor improvements out of the government has turned many tribal
councils off.  One of my best friends from my High School days was
elected Tribal Chief several years ago.  His frustrations at having to
fight both the state and federal authorities just to keep the reservation
and fishing rights intact were the subject of an article in Time.

Sure, people can point to this tribe or that tribe and say "See how
well they are doing."  But, what about the other 90% who are forced
to live in squalor and filth while the government decides their fate?
Phooey.  More evil has been done to the indians of this land over the
past 300 years than anyone can imagine.  Just take a drive out to the
Hoh Indian Reservation on the Olympic Peninsula sometime if you want
to see what "progress" has been made.  It is a crime.

T. C. Wheeler

hart@cp1.UUCP (02/11/84)

Come on Pat, you must be kidding. You kick the hell out of a guy
and put him in a concentration camp then you say everything is just
fine. How many Native Americans have you given a break today? i
bet you can even say some of your best friends are American s.

how would you like to trade places in this society?

signed: Rod Hart (wa3mez)
        Chesapeake & Potomac Tel. Co.
        Bell Atlantic Inc.
        Silver Spring, Md.
        gamma!cp1!hart - eagle!cp1!hart - sb6!cp1!hart - bpa!cp1!hart

amra@ihuxj.UUCP (Steven L. Aldrich) (02/16/84)

     To: Pat
     Re: Re: Native Americans

    Pat,
   In regards to your reply to my article on Native Americans
   I offer the following response;

      Occassionaly, I like to Bullshit people myself. But once in
      A while I like to listen to an expert;

                    PLEASE CONTINUE!!

      You are elevating the art to untold new heights, and setting
      new records for the amount of BS distributed in one posting!

        For those of you not familiar with Pat's article, it appears
       below. Everything between the "*"'s is Pat's original posting.
                   (MINUS MOST HEADER INFORMTION)

From: hammy@hou2d.UUCP (P.HAMILTON)
Newsgroups: net.flame,net.politics
Subject: Re: Native Americans
Date: Thu, 9-Feb-84 16:09:52 CST

[...]

       I would be interested to hear your views on welfare, WIC
      (Women,Infants & Children), and low-income housing to name a
      few. You seem to have the same "grasp on reality" that our
      illustrious leader, Ronald (I Think; Therefore I Am Confused)
      Reagan has! I suggest a strong dose of reality to correct your
      apperant lack of facts on this issue.

                          PEACE & BEST WISHES
                        From the ever curious mind of:
                         Steve Aldrich (ihnp4!ihuxj!amra)

       P.S. I don't know WHAT you smoke in your "peacepipe", but maybe
            you should switch to another brand. Whatever it is you're
            using seems to be affecting your mental capacity!

y7106@dalcs.UUCP (Rich Johnson) (02/24/84)

     I have always wondered why the Native American Indian has never taken the
whole of the United States to court for the attempted genocide of an entire
race. Look what happened to Germany when they tried.

			     Rich Johnson y7106
			     Dal. University
			     Halifax N.S.