[net.politics] Mike Kelly and Reagan's un-democ

turner@ucbesvax.UUCP (02/01/84)

> /***** ucbesvax:net.politics / pyuxss!sebb /  8:31 am  Feb 28, 1984*/
> Subject: Re: Mike Kelly and Reagan's un-democratic policies
>	Last week the government released the latest findings on the
> extent of poverty in this country. In the last 3 years, poverty has
> increased by 3%....

Hey, Sharon, I just totally don't buy that.  You say "the government".
WHICH government?  "latest findings"--sez WHO?  Where is this report,
anyway?  How come you aren't quoting it chapter and verse?  And, hey,
even then I wouldn't buy it--you would have to send me a copy signed by
David Stockman in the presence of a Notary Public, with a note attached
from Ronald Reagan swearing on a stack of Bibles that Martin Feldstein
personally accounted for every penny exchanged in the U.S. economy
when he checked this report.  I want EXACT FIGURES NOW.  PLEASE.  Think
of the danger to which you are exposing the Republic by citing reports
that are possibly bogus, besides being ideologically unsound even if
they happen to be true.
---
Michael Turner (ucbvax!ucbesvax.turner :-) :-) :-)

graham@parsec.UUCP (03/01/84)

#R:pyuxss:-28500:parsec:40500022:000:337
parsec!graham    Feb 29 13:49:00 1984

The minumum income which defines who is "poor" is adjusted for inflation
is it not?  Is it not possible that some people joined the ranks of the
"poor" because their incomes grew less than this minimum income and therefore
moved from "not poor" to "poor"??

Marv Graham; ConVex Computer Corp.
{allegra,ihnp4,uiucdcs,ctvax}!parsec!graham