[net.politics] An Answer to Sevener

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (04/03/84)

Well, now Tim S. has gone and done it again.  He sounds like a campaign
spiel straight from Democratic headquarters.  This is the same tired
rhetoric the Democrats have been spouting for years.  Confuse the
electorate and they will fall for anything.  Get the monkey off Congress's
back and blame everyone else.  Mr. Sevener made seven accusations which
I think should be answered.

1.	Congress and Congress alone is answerable for the deficit.  It
is Congress that approves the budget.  If they wanted to cut the budget,
they had every opportunity to do so.  They did not.  They added to the
budget to make it as large as it is.

2.	I'm glad you used the term 'adjusted for inflation' so I can
also use it.  The cost of one mid-sized automobile today, adjusted for
inflation, would buy a damn nice 4 bedroom house in 1942.  The term
'adjusted for inflation' is hogwash.  How about using a realistic
figure such as percentage of the Federal Budget.  WWII took over 60%
of the Federal Budget.  Miltary spending today is less than 26%.
Using this kind of rhetoric is typical of political hacks who are
trying to snow the masses.

3.	Sure this is the largest Federal Budget ever.  Can you name
one year that the budget was NOT larger than the last one?  Apply
your 'adjusted for inflation' logic here and see what happens.

4.	Thanks to Jimmy Carter, yes.

5.	Congress made those cuts in social spending.  Again, stop
following the party garbage and read what really happened.

6.	The tobacco subsidy is Congress's baby.  Talk to them.  They
vote for it every time.  The Administration has nothing to do with
the subsidy other than handing out the money that Congress has
mandated to be handed out.  Ford tried to eliminate it, but Congress
said no.  Jimmy liked it.  Reagan has not said anything about it.

7.	What alternative energy sources.  Be specific.  Then go ask
your Congressman why the expenditures are approved every year.  I
don't like nuclear plants either, but we are stuck with them until
something better comes along.  Would you rather close them all down
tommorrow and go back to fossil fuels, daming rivers, and generally
playing havoc with the environment?

I am sorry that this has turned into a flame, but I get my dander up
every time somebody starts mouthing the Democratic Congress line.
They make it sound as if Congress just sits there and rubber stamps
everything coming out of the White House.  It is, and always has been,
the Congress that decides where, when, why, and how much money to spend
in this country.  A basic knowledge of Government is all that is needed
to understand this.  Congress, because it has made a ton of bad decisions
over the years, keeps pointing the finger at the Administration just
to take the heat off them so they can get themselves elected every time.

If the general populace really understood what the hell was going on
down there in Fantasy land, the would rise up and throw that gang
of carpetbaggers out on their collective ears.  I am of the opinion
that no congressman should hold office for more than two terms.
Maybe then we could get some honesty into the system instead of
the continual chicanery that prevades the atmosphere in Washington.

If you really want to find out what your congressman is up to, instead
of reading his press releases and local consumption news articles, get
ahold of the Congressional Record.  Compare his votes in the Record
with those he claims back home.  You will receive a real shock.  And,
if he says he sponsered a bill in Congress, check up on him.  To
sponser a bill means nothing anymore. It only means he signed on to
support it along with everyone else.  They can even sign on AFTER
the bill has been passed.  Sponsering a bill is the way these phoneys
manage to get onto the bandwagon to show the folks back home that they
are right in there pitching, while they were, in reality, off on
some junket and had no more idea about the bill than the man-in-the-
moon.

So, what this all means is that too many people listen to too few
voices and don't do enough real checking before they try to jive
others.
T. C. Wheeler

chenr@tilt.UUCP (Raymond Chen ) (04/04/84)

<Living Sacrifice>

	Normally, I don't like to flame that much about politics, but
some of this is getting a little ridiculous:

>>From: wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler)
>>Newsgroups: net.politics,net.flame
>>Subject: An Answer to Sevener
>>
>>Well, now Tim S. has gone and done it again.  He sounds like a campaign
>>spiel straight from Democratic headquarters.  This is the same tired
>>rhetoric the Democrats have been spouting for years.  Confuse the
>>electorate and they will fall for anything.  Get the monkey off Congress's
>>back and blame everyone else.  Mr. Sevener made seven accusations which
>>I think should be answered.
>>
>>1.	Congress and Congress alone is answerable for the deficit.  It
>>is Congress that approves the budget.  If they wanted to cut the budget,
>>they had every opportunity to do so.  They did not.  They added to the
>>budget to make it as large as it is.
>>
>>2.	I'm glad you used the term 'adjusted for inflation' so I can
>>also use it.  The cost of one mid-sized automobile today, adjusted for
>>inflation, would buy a damn nice 4 bedroom house in 1942.  The term
>>'adjusted for inflation' is hogwash.  How about using a realistic
>>figure such as percentage of the Federal Budget.  WWII took over 60%
>>of the Federal Budget.  Miltary spending today is less than 26%.
>>Using this kind of rhetoric is typical of political hacks who are
>>trying to snow the masses.
>>
>>3.	Sure this is the largest Federal Budget ever.  Can you name
>>one year that the budget was NOT larger than the last one?  Apply
>>your 'adjusted for inflation' logic here and see what happens.
>>
>>4.	Thanks to Jimmy Carter, yes.
>>
>>5.	Congress made those cuts in social spending.  Again, stop
>>following the party garbage and read what really happened.

Ok, first things first:

1) Mr. Wheeler, have you ever heard of the term "balance of power"?
Sure, I'll agree that Congress isn't a rubber-stamp, but neither is the
Presidency.  Remember the budget fight in Reagan's first year in office?
That fight wasn't an instance of Congress trying to cram something down
the Administration's throat, it was Reagan that was doing the cramming
and he did a darn good job at that.  If you want to get picky, sure,
Congress PASSED the budget, but that was because Ronny was bringing
PRESSURE to bear on a lot of key members.

2) First, 'adjusted for inflation' isn't hogwash.  There's a reason
why 5-cent cigars don't cost 5 cents anymore.  There's also a term
known as "real dollars".  Secondly, during WWII, we were supplying
the entire Allied alliance with arms and supplies (and losing a lot
of it to U-boats, battles, etc.) on a WARTIME basis.  26% seems a
little high to me, seeing as we are supposedly at peace, and the
equipment loss rate should be nowhere near as high now, as it was
back then.

3-4) I'm not going to address seeing as I didn't read the original
article (maybe it's time to start reading net.politics again).

5) See #1.  If I remember correctly, Reagan rammed them down the
throats of the Congressional Democrats (who were screaming all the way).

Don't blame Congress for EVERYTHING that's gone wrong.  That's just
as unfair (or fair) as blaming the President for everything.  It's
very rare that a President gets it all his own way, and even rarer
for Congress since the President has got this handy thing called a
veto.  Usually things end up being compromised, and that's the way
the writers of the Constitution intended it to be.

--

From the Random Fingers of --

		Ray Chen
		{allegra | ihnp4 | mhuxi}!princeton!tilt!chenr

"It's amazing what a thousand monkeys and a few typewriters can accomplish..."