[net.politics] Reagan and the economy, again.

jj@rabbit.UUCP (03/30/84)

Recent comment in these newsgroups:

>        ... the current low unemployment rate
>        (for which you can thank Mr. Reagan) ...
>
>Until very recently, "the current low unemployment rate" was higher
>than when Reagan took office.  It may still be -- I haven't checked
>lately.  If it's lower, it's not by much.  And yes, we can all thank
>Reagan for it, as well as for the record high unemployment that
>preceded it.

It's really amazing how people DELIBERATELY forget that it
takes lots of time for economic things to settle out, and that
the RESULTS of THE PREVIOUS administration will be evident through
the first two years of the next administration.

Given that *F*A*C*T* <yeah, damnit, it's a fact.  Look to history
instead of your party's rhetoric for once, and open your eyes a
bit> it's pretty easy to see WHO is good for the economy and who
isn't.

Take that, Mr. Peanut!
--
TEDDY BEARS ARE NICER THAN PEOPLE--HUG YOURS TODAY!
(If you go out in the woods today ... )

(allegra,harpo,ulysses)!rabbit!jj

jj@rabbit.UUCP (04/04/84)

Well, actually, Joel, I don't disagree with you as much as you
think.  <I do disagree with the usual ad-hominem bullfeces, of course.>

Two years isn't long enough, but at least you can see the effects of
an administration in the derivitives by then. <That's all you can
see, but at least it's some information.>  We are indeed still paying
for the end of Vietnam and the oil embargos, as well as for the
incredibly irresponsible social programs of the Johnson years.
In fact, that's mostly what we're paying for right now, with
our massive federal deficit that we can't do much about.

As far as the deficit, it is the next problem.  Right now,
the interest on the FD is as much as the current year's
deficit.  That's representitive of a system in uncontrolled
exponential runaway.  The problem is that there isn't any
good way to deal with it now, LBJ is the one who had to deal
with it, and all he did  was put it off a few years.
More taxes aren't the answer, as they will only fuel
the same problem (inflation/deficit) that they are
"supposed" to aid.

The only solution that I can see is an IMMEDIATE cut in all parts
of the federal budget, INCLUDING human services.  I don't like
that idea very much, but with human services running at
50% or so of the budget (including administration of them, etc)
they must be cut along with everything else.  (There are some
very basic things that could be done to make such cuts nearly
unnoticed, except as regards the unemployed federal employees,
but labor will protect its own and damn the poor as usual.)

I AM sensitive to ad-hominem attacks, I figure that if someone
wants to disrupt, I'm not able to stop them, I might as well
either ignore them or drown them out.

Why do I support Reagan?  Well, his ecomonic ideas are
better than anyone else's, even if he can't handle the deficit.
<The democratic line is STILL just pushing things into the
future.  I can't believe that ANYONE can believe it, or
not hear the contradictions inherant in it.  Look at history,
folks.>    I can't stand Reagan's moral viewpoints (a look
in net.abortion should make that really clear) at all, but
I think (and that's as close to certainty as I can come)
that economic collapse is more of a threat than the
fascist MM stuff.  <One can be resisted by individuals,
the other cannot.>

Cheers
--
TEDDY BEARS ARE NICER THAN PEOPLE--HUG YOURS TODAY!
(If you go out in the woods today ... )

(allegra,harpo,ulysses)!rabbit!jj

scw@cepu.UUCP (04/05/84)

Yes, the Federal Unemployment report does now include the Armed Forces
in the list of employed.  This is reasonable as when people are discharged
at the end of their enlistment they get added to the list of unemployed
(assuming that they don't re-enlist).  Most media report both statistics
and the AF included statistic is about 0.8% lower than the AF !included.
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb, sdcsvax!bmcg}!cepu!scw

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (04/05/84)

	From: hdt@sunybcs.UUCP (Howard D. Trachtman)
	Date: Mon, 2-Apr-84 00:00:05 PST

	. .. ... Bits for the buggy machine's bit bucket.

	Our economics professor made the claim that Reagan caused the
	armed forces to be added to the employment pool, thereby causing the
	unemployment rate to drop almost a full point overnight.
	This seems a little suspicious to me; does anyone know if this
	is true or false or partly true.

This is correct. He did it early '82.

	Erik E. Fair

	dual!fair@Berkeley.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd70,fortune,zehntel}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (04/06/84)

[]
Your economics prof needs to start reading the paper more often.
The announcement that the Armed Forces were to be added to the
employment roles was made months before it happened.  The drop
was .6% not 1%.  It only makes sense to me to include the military
in the number of employed, the rest of the Federal Employees are
included, and, after all, they are working(?) aren't they?  You
prof must have an axe to grind.
T. C. Wheeler

myers@uwvax.ARPA (04/07/84)

>Your economics prof needs to start reading the paper more often.
>The announcement that the Armed Forces were to be added to the
>employment roles was made months before it happened.  The drop
>was .6% not 1%.  It only makes sense to me to include the military
>in the number of employed, the rest of the Federal Employees are
>included, and, after all, they are working(?) aren't they?  You
>prof must have an axe to grind.

Ah, but how many people knew that?  Subtle manipulation of government figures
is SOP for administrations trying to make things look better than it was
before.  Remember Johnson's revamping of the way the federal budget is broken
down in order to decrease the percentage devoted to the military?

Such statistics should be calculated in a *consistent* manner, given that no
large structural changes have occurred in the economy warranting the change.