[net.politics] Freedom to Travel

berman@ihuxm.UUCP (thomas) (04/20/84)

Al Globus writes:

>We
>should get out, but don't give me a bunch of bunk about how wonderful
>Nicaragua is now that no one can get a good close look at what's
>happening.

      Ditto we should get out. Ditto that after 50 years of dictatorship
and continued hostility and attacks by the Reagan regime, the transition
to a democratic society has been fraught with mistakes (as the Sandinistas
are the first to admit).
      But "no one can get a close look at what's happening"??????
      Nonsense!  You can hop a plane in Miami everyday of the week and
fly to Nicaragua quite easily. After Reagan closed the Nicaraguan
consulates, the Nicaraguans said US Citizens could come without needing
to apply for a visa. The tourist industry is mostly in the hands of
private businessmen.   You need no itinerary, no guides, nothing but
a plane ticket to visit Nicaragua today.
      Reagan has made it illegal for you to go to Cuba, and he may very
well do the same via-a-vis Nicaragua tomorrow.  But the restrictions
are at this end, not at that end.

      Phil Ochs had a song about restrictions on travel to Cuba. It
had a very catchy chorus:

      "Somehow it is strange to hear the State Department say:
       You are living in the 'free world',
       ....In the 'free world' you must stay!"

                 Andy Berman