[net.politics] Amateur Olympics?

pal@crystal.UUCP (05/13/84)

Perhaps this discussion should move to net.sport?

>   From uwvax!seismo!hao!ward Fri May 11 15:49:35 1984
>   From: ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward)
>   Subject: Re: Russians Pull Out
>   Date: Fri, 11-May-84 15:49:35 CDT
>   []

>   Does this mean that we'll actually have an amatuer Olympics
>   this year?

>   --
>   Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD

No, the US Basketball team is still in.

But seriously, who is an amateur these days?  Granted, there may be a few who
participate in the Olympics, but they certainly are not competitive.

Reminds me of Monty Python's "Being eaten by a crocodile contest" where the
athletes were bemoaning the use of secret sauces by the competition.
"We should either crack down on this sort of thing, or agree on a standard for
everyone, say a simple Bearnaise"

Rumours abound that the IOC will open the 1988 Olympics (assuming there IS one)
to professionals (i.e. people who are currently ineligible).

Anil Pal
U. of Wisconsin-Madison CS Dept.
pal@uwisc