[net.politics] Muslim States, Hitlerism, etc.

pal@crystal.UUCP (05/13/84)

[****************************]
Lines beginning with a > are from martillo@ihuxt, rest from me (pal@uwisc)
>  From: martillo@ihuxt.UUCP (Yehoyaqim Martillo)
>  Newsgroups: net.politics
>  Subject: Muslim States and Political Regressiveness
>  Date: Thu, 10-May-84 21:57:21 CDT

>  Despite David's statement, calling for the annihilation of certain
>  states is not equivalent to Hitlerism and is not necessarily wrong.
>  Calling for the annihilation of Nazi Germany during the 30's was perfectly
>  reasonable and hardly could be termed Hitlerism.

Depends on the basis of the call.  As I recall, you were against the existence
of all "Independent Muslim states".  Hitler was not a Muslim, and I don't
believe he was Jewish either, but few people called for the annihilation of all
"Christian states".  Would you have made that call?  If yes, then I cannot
argue further. If not, then why should you make the same call for Muslim
states?  What IS a Muslim state, anyway?  Indonesia? India? Bangladesh? In case
you are unaware, they are countries with large Muslim populations. (I think,
but am not 100% sure, that they are the three largest).  If your quarrel is
with Iran, or Libya, or some other specific nation(s), say so, and don't try to
genaralise on the basis of your personal prejudices.
If you want to wipe Islam from the face of the earth, say so as well,
but then don't say that's not Hitlerism.

>  If any net-reader thinks being a dhimmi was fun, I suggest reading a
>  little publication of the Government of Pakistan called Dhimma.  I would
>  rather have been a black under jim-crow.
>  The Islamic fundamentalist tend to degrade and humiliate dhimmis under
>  their rule.  Those peoples who don't qualify as dhimmis like Baha'is or
>  Ahmadis just get slaughtered.
>
>  Majorities don't have the right to slaughter or to oppress minorities.

That's why religion should NEVER be the basis for a nation.
Not just Islam.  ANY religion.  (But try telling Jerry Falwell that).
However, "annihilating" religious nations is not the answer. (What is? good
question.).  Fanaticism feeds off oppression, and trying to "Annihilate" say
Iran will only push the moderate elements towards the extremists.

Anil Pal
U. of Wisconsin-Madison CS Dept.