[net.politics] Communist atrocities in Viet Nam

bitmap@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (06/15/84)

<...>
Dateline: late 1930's: a voyage to an alternate universe...

>From: tac@teldata.UUCP ()
>
>  As a question that sticks in my mind, for any of those out there who might
>have an answer, try this:
>
>     If what the US did in The World War was so bad, why are there
>     so many Jewish refugees today?

Because "we" left Germany in such a bad state and have steadfastly refused
to do anything to change that, treaty obligations be damned.
Not only is the U.S. government content in not helping Nazi Germany,
but it has gone out of its way to make life very difficult for the new
government.  Imagine coming to power in a country devasted by
years of war and depression, with thousands of maimed and extremely ill
people, the national treasury bankrupt - and have the most powerful nations
in the world as your international enemies.  That's the situation Germany
has faced since 1918.

The Jews are also a result of rather draconian "re-education" camps
established by the Nazi government (which are soon to be closed, by
the way.)  Certainly Germany deserves criticism for human rights violations.
But the U.S. government tends to take a very biased view of human rights,
as everyone probably knows.  In any event, there's always the question of
how to deal with human rights violations.  Personally, I think you give needed
economic aid and use the resulting leverage to argue for changes.  I don't
believe in military aid except under the most drastic circumstances (i.e. a
foreign attack on the territory of a nation.)

M*k* K*lly

(Consistency Check):
By the way, Mike, all satire aside:  Do you, then, support economic
aid to South Africa?

                                   Sam Hall
ucbvax!ucbtopaz!bitmap

hawk@oliven.UUCP (Rick Hawkins) (06/19/84)

Oh yes--the Domino theory!!  Isn't that the one that said if Viet Nam fell
other countries such as Laos and Cambodia would also fall?  Ridiculous notion.

hawk