[net.politics] Presidential Politics

tac@cholula.UUCP (08/23/84)

, (sop to the blank line eaters--consider it a religious sacrifice)

>>  --
>>  >> Ron also promised to cut inflation and to bring down interest rates.
>>  >> Two out of three ain't too bad.  Which one hurts you the most, inflation,
>>  >> interest rates, or the deficit?  Now if Congress will see the light, even
>>
>>  >> the deficit will dry up.
>>  >> T. C Wheeler
>>
>>  What is this Pavlovian conditioning?  Reagan in office, economy gets
>>  better, ergo Reagan improved the economy.  Just like rats in a Skinner
>>  box, we get our reward, so we keep pushing the lever.  Clever us.
>>
>>  Reagan has shown he knows nothing about how the economy works (indeed,
>>  few presidents ever have).  The Democrats may tax & tax, spend & spend,
>>  but that contains the implicit realization that it has to come from
>>  somewhere.  Reagan simply spends & spends.
>>
>>  If you must vote for the man, vote for him for what he *IS* responsible
>>  for:  policies on foreign affairs in general, Central America in
>>  particular, nuclear arms, the environment, abortion, school prayer,
>>  state's rights, women's rights.  Because those issues are what he *CAN
>>  AND WILL* do something about.  As for the economy, "Dat ol' man river,
>>  he jus' keep rollin' along."
>>
>>  For the record, I have about equal contempt for both the Republican
>>  and Democratic parties and policies.  In fact, I have never in my
>>  almost 36 years voted for a major party candidate.  But God help me,
>>  I'm about to.
>>  --
>>                      *** ***
>>  JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****
>>                   ****** ******    21 Aug 84 [4 Fructidor An CXCII]
>>  ken perlow       *****   *****
>>  (312)979-7261     ** ** ** **
>>  ..ihnp4!ihuxq!ken   *** ***

It does sound like Pavlovian conditioning, now that you mention it.  I
am not sure what sort of blindness allows you to consider that the
alternatives would not spend even more though.

Lord help us all if we elect Mondale and he treats the soviets as he is
currently behaving towards Reagan!  This ludicrous round of "You're going
to do this!" "I am not!" is childish in the least, and aggravating to
all who have to listen.  If, however, Mondale got elected and talked like
that to Chernenco (sp?) we would be at war tomorrow!  All those who think
a Soviet leader can afford to let an American President call him a liar
in the world press, mail $20,000,000,000.00 to the address below.  If you
want to vote for the man for what he is responsible for, THINK about that.

I do not support all (or even nearly all) of the current administration's
foreign policy decisions, but the dealings between the US and the Soviets,
at present, is definitely supportable.  The Soviets want us to agree to
talk only about an area of technology and warfare where we are head and
shoulders ahead of them.  If we don't agree to limit the talks to this
area, they will not come to the bargaining table.  To do other than what
RR has done would be to enter a no-win situation which could conceivably
cost us allies.  We could gain nothing from any agreement that the USSR
could make at such talks, and if we fail to agree to something, the entire
world sees us as the "bad guys" who wouldn't bargain.  They would never
agree to treaty talks limited to SS-20 missiles, why should we agree to
talks limited to weapons only we are capable of?  Negotiation is a give
and take situation.  If we are the only ones who can give and they are
the only ones who can take, why should we bother?

As to spending, Ken, I am amazed at you!  A marcher from the sixties who
doesn't believe that we can change the world with a little trying?  If
we all write our congress-persons and tell them that they will have to
find a more efficient way of doing things (i.e. cut both taxes and spending)
or they will have to find a new job, then we may get somewhere on this
issue.  We have become a "gi'me" society.  We don't want to get rid of
our senior senators and representatives (deliberately UN-capitolized [sp])
because they can get more goodies of the federal budget for us!  THERE
AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH!  You (yes, you Mr. & Mrs. America)
pay for each and every thing you get from the government.  You pay MORE
because of the extra layer of overhead in having the Feds filter the money
first.  If you kept that money closer to home you would have more controls
and less siphons on it!  WAKE UP, AMERICA, QUIT SPENDING IN CONGRESS!

From the Soapbox of
Tom Condon     {...!uw-beaver!teltone!teldata!tac}

A Radical A Day Keeps The Government At Bay.  There haven't been
near enough of us of late.

DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressed herein are those of everyone who
  matters, but not necessarily anyone you know, and most certainly not
  my employers!

PS I appologize for the length, but I felt that it needed to be said.

mark@teltone.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (08/24/84)

<>
[Tom Condon:]
> Lord help us all if we elect Mondale and he treats the soviets as he is
> currently behaving towards Reagan!  This ludicrous round of "You're going
> to do this!" "I am not!" is childish in the least, and aggravating to
> all who have to listen.  If, however, Mondale got elected and talked like
> that to Chernenco (sp?) we would be at war tomorrow!  All those who think
> a Soviet leader can afford to let an American President call him a liar
> in the world press, mail $20,000,000,000.00 to the address below.  If you
> want to vote for the man for what he is responsible for, THINK about that.

Come now; Reagan's already called them far worse!  An "evil empire", if
I recall.  In fact, in one of his first speeches as president, Reagan
said the Soviets would "tell any lie" or cheat or steal or whatever they
needed to do to have their way.

Reagan is an idiot; I think Mondale is a little smarter, but the way he's
run his campaign so far I wonder.  I'm tempted to write in Bill the Cat.
I suppose Reagan will be reelected, but I doubt that he'll find his second
term nearly so satisfying as the first.  I just hope we live through it.
--
----------------

....uw-beaver!teltone!tikal!mark

alan@allegra.UUCP (Alan S. Driscoll) (08/24/84)

> Lord help us all if we elect Mondale and he treats the soviets as he is
> currently behaving towards Reagan!  This ludicrous round of "You're going
> to do this!" "I am not!" is childish in the least, and aggravating to
> all who have to listen.  If, however, Mondale got elected and talked like
> that to Chernenco (sp?) we would be at war tomorrow!  All those who think
> a Soviet leader can afford to let an American President call him a liar
> in the world press, mail $20,000,000,000.00 to the address below.  If you
> want to vote for the man for what he is responsible for, THINK about that.
> [Tom Condon]

If this claim were true, you wouldn't be around to make it, and I
wouldn't be around to read it, as RR has done more than his share
of name-calling.

--

	Alan S. Driscoll
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (08/26/84)

>All those who think
>a Soviet leader can afford to let an American President call him a liar
>in the world press, mail $20,000,000,000.00 to the address below.
Tom Condon says this with the implication that Mondale would call
the Soviet leadership liars while Reagan has not.  Actually Ronald Reagan
and his Administration HAVE been accusing the Soviets of being liars
without giving any actual evidence to back up their statements.
For some months Reagan has been publicly accusing the Soviets of violating
past nuclear arms treaties--yet:
1)Reagan has refused to bring a single charge of Soviet violations to
the Standing Consultative Committee--Nixon, Ford and Carter ALL brought
charges before this Committee and had such alleged violations resolved
by having the Soviets cease activities that were thought to be in
violation of arms treaties OR by deciding that such activities were not
actually violations, OR by deciding that the supposed activities had not
actually occurred.
2)Reagan, while publicly shouting such accusations to the world at large
has labelled his evidence for such supposed violations "classified" and
refused to release the information which serves as the basis for such
dangerous charges.  (dangerous because Reagan and rearmament advocates
then use these charges as excuses for their own plans to break SALT II
in 1985 and continue rearming without any hindrance from treaties)

This is the worst possible sort of smear against an opponent:
to make public charges without ever bringing it before the legal
authorities who are supposed to judge such charges, and then not
even to give any evidence with which to substantiate such charges.
But this is just part of the Reagan Administration's generalized
contempt for the law which has been evidenced in many spheres of
activity.  If the mining of Nicaraguan harbors is about to be
condemned by the World Court--simply pull out of the World Court.
If possible Soviet arms violations might be resolved by the
Standing Consultative Committee and thus lend support to efforts
at arms control which threatens the $1.65 trillion militarization
of America--simply bring no charges before the Standing Consultative
Committee and accuse the Soviets of violating treaties anyway.
If the laws require toxic waste sites to be cleaned up incurring
costs on corporations--simply appoint Anne Burford to insure such
laws are really not enforced.  If she is finally forced to resign
for her failure to enforce the law, then further show contempt for
the protection of the Environment by appointing her to a key
Environmental Commission.
If Congress passes restrictions on spending to overturn the Nicaraguan
government, then simply bypass the law by taking such funds from
allocations for other activities.
Tim Sevener
whuxl!orb
Bell Labs, Whippany

rcd@opus.UUCP (08/30/84)

>Lord help us all if we elect Mondale and he treats the soviets as he is
>currently behaving towards Reagan!  This ludicrous round of "You're going
>to do this!" "I am not!" is childish in the least, and aggravating to
>all who have to listen...

That's one way to look at it.  You can also look at it in the light that
Mondale (along with anyone else with an ability for arithmetic >= third
grade) can figure out that you can't simultaneously increase expenditures,
service the debt, limit the debt, and keep taxes constant.  Mondale simply
picked one of the inconsistent variables and started harping on it.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...I'm not cynical - just experienced.

tac@cholula.UUCP (08/30/84)

, (sop to the blank line eaters--consider it a religious sacrifice)

>>  >me
>>he

>>  > Lord help us all if we elect Mondale and he treats the soviets as he is
>>  > currently behaving towards Reagan!  This ludicrous round of "You're going
>>  > to do this!" "I am not!" is childish in the least, and aggravating to
>>  > all who have to listen.  If, however, Mondale got elected and talked like
>>  > that to Chernenco (sp?) we would be at war tomorrow!  All those who think
>>  > a Soviet leader can afford to let an American President call him a liar
>>  > in the world press, mail $20,000,000,000.00 to the address below.  If you
>>  > want to vote for the man for what he is responsible for, THINK about that.
>>
>>  Come now; Reagan's already called them far worse!  An "evil empire", if
>>  I recall.  In fact, in one of his first speeches as president, Reagan
>>  said the Soviets would "tell any lie" or cheat or steal or whatever they
>>  needed to do to have their way.

Perhaps it is my memory that is bad, Mark, but as I recall, he has always
said those things about the "USSR", the "Soviets" or some other general
political group.  I repeat, calling the man a liar will cause a war.  If
you disagree, I will expect to see your check in the mail tomorrow.  Hey,
how is this for a novel political solution?  We meet between the buildings
here at *HIGH NOON* and settle this debate with our fists?  [For those not
in the know, Mark and I have never met--we just work for the same company.]

>>  Reagan is an idiot; I think Mondale is a little smarter, but the way he's
>>  run his campaign so far I wonder.  I'm tempted to write in Bill the Cat.
>>  I suppose Reagan will be reelected, but I doubt that he'll find his second
>>  term nearly so satisfying as the first.  I just hope we live through it.
>>
>>  ....uw-beaver!teltone!tikal!mark

Meadow party forever!!!  Seriously, though, if Reagan is all that dangerous,
why have we lived through his first term?  I seem to recall these same
critisisms before the last election.  If he truely wanted war we would
have had it by now.  Now, consider the GOP hierarchy.  They would *NEVER*
allow a crazy man to be elected, it would be bad for the party image.
Deity, I wish Anderson was running again!

And now, for something completely different:

A badge seen at Dragonflight [a local gaming convention]:

       Darth Vader for President,
       when you are tired of voting
       for the LESSER of two evils!

From the Soapbox of
Tom Condon     {...!uw-beaver!teltone!teldata!tac}

DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressed herein are those of everyone who
  matters, but not necessarily anyone you know, and most certainly not
  my employers!

You guys and gals are not doing your share towards keeping the
government small, they just came to take my term.....

faustus@ucbvax.ARPA (Wayne Christopher) (09/01/84)

Tom Condon says, "Calling a man a liar will start a war". Give
me an example in recent history when it has started a war.
Personally, if I were a head of state, I would much rather be
called a liar than the ruler of an "evil empire". And how often
is Reagan called a liar and worse things in the Soviet press?

	Wayne

faustus@ucbvax.UUCP (09/01/84)

Date: Sat, 1-Sep-84 12:21:22 EDT

olula.UUCP>

Tom Condon says, "Calling a man a liar will start a war". Give
me an example in recent history when it has started a war.
Personally, if I were a head of state, I would much rather be
called a liar than the ruler of an "evil empire". And how often
is Reagan called a liar and worse things in the Soviet press?

	Wayne

garry@bolton.UUCP (Garry Baer) (09/05/84)

This message is empty.