[net.politics] Peacekeeper and a "first strike"

david@randvax.UUCP (David Shlapak) (09/21/84)

-------

From: jec@iuvax.UUCP

    >        It seems to me that you could hardly call the MX a first strike
    >weapon.  The idea behind it was that it would be impervious to a first
    >strike so that it could be used as a second strike weapon.  The MX mis-
    >siles aren't as accurate as the type of missiles used to take out other
    >silos. A minor quibble since it is totally unnecessary with a large
    >submarine fleet.

    Just to show that I'm not a total `militarist,' let me disagree with the
    thrust of this comment as well...according to "Nuclear Weapons Databook,
    Volume I," the Peacekeeper has a projected CEP of ~ 0.07 NM; according
    to John Collins; fine volume,  "US-Soviet Military Balance," the SS-18
    Mod 4 ICBM (the primary "hard target killer" on the Soviet side) has
    a CEP of 0.14 NM.  Given the yields of the respective RVs (estimated
    to be ~0.3 MT for Peacekeeper, and 0.5 MT for the SS-18, the US missile
    would seem, in fact, to be a significantly SUPERIOR anti-silo weapon
    than its Soviet counterpart.

    Would that your assertion that Peacekeeper "would be impervious to
    a first strike" were true.  In fact, the current plan is to put
    the new missile in silos currently used by Minuteman ICBMs...that same
    silos that are probably vulnerable to a Soviet attack.  Unfortunately,
    changing the contents of a silo does not in any way increase its
    hardness...Peacekeeper in a Minuteman silo is no safer than a Minuteman.

    It is this combination of factors which makes the Peacekeeper, from
    a Soviet vantage anyway, look like a "first-strike weapon."  It's a hard
    target killer, meaning that it is technically adequate in a first strike
    role;  it is a powerful weapon, which makes it a quite tempting target
    for Soviet pre-emption; and it is insufficiently protected to survive
    such a strike.  To Moscow, these factors together make Peacekeeper look
    like a classic "use-it-or-lose-it" system.

    Another alternative would be to adopt a "launch under attack" option for
    Peacekeeper; assure them of survival by having them pass the incoming RVs
    at 100K feet or something like that.  Feasibility questions aside, this
    would obviously be a somewhat risky strategy to adopt.

    Obviously, there are counterarguments to this "first-strike" issue:
    we don't plan to build enough Peacekeepers to threaten a substantial
    portion of the Soviet ICBM force; it is the avowed policy of this country
    never to launch a first strike (of course, the Soviets have declared
    the same...I believe us); if nothing else we need the Peacekeeper as
    a "bargaining chip."

    My opinion is that without a survivable basing mode, Peacekeeper is
    a destabilizing weapons system and an overly expensive bargaining
    chip.  We don't really want it, I' pretty convinced we don't need it,
    and I don't think it should be built.

							--- das

    NOTE: The opinions expressed above are those of the author, and do
    do not necessarily represents those of the Rand Corporation or the
    sponsors of its research.