[net.politics] Context of the Debate

berman@ihuxm.UUCP (09/06/84)

A Liberal writes:

> Private statements, actions, and policies of the KGB (also reflective
> of the Soviet government's position) indicate that an active unremitting
> campaign has been in progress for at least 30 years with the principal
> goal of undermining Western and Western-sympathetic governments,
> institutions, and philosophies. (yes, yes, yes, I know; we have the
> sometimes suspect actions of our CIA as an albatross--all the more
> reason to keep them under control and prevent them from making de facto
> policies and taking unilateral actions).

A Conservative responds:

>>All the more reason, I think, for giving it more power so that
>>it can effectively challenge the KGB in these countries (and
>>undermine USSR-sympathetic governments). You have to fight fire
>>with fire, and if half the country knows exactly what the CIA is
>>up to all the time, and whether or not it will do some espionage
>>must be determined by a vote of congress, it can't be very effective.
>>
>>	Wayne

     The context of this debate is in never-never land!

     Today's newspaper reports rebellion in the streets of South
     Africa by a very oppressed people against a racist regime.
     It reports bloddy supression of strikers in Chile by a
     fascist government incapable of keeping the feeble economy
     alive. It reports new unity in the opposition to Phillipines
     Dictator Marcos.   All three repressive regimes are part of
     the "free" world and are friendly to the US Government.
     All three regimes are facing the just wrath of their
     population.

     Yet the debate on the net is not over the nature of these
     rebellions. It is not even over CIA  efforts to keep these
     doomed regimes alive.  The debate ASSUMES that the KGB is
     behind it all and the only question is how much to unleash
     the CIA to counter the KGB!!!!.

      Tom Jefferson surely turns in his grave.

                      Andy Berman

faustus@ucbvax.ARPA (Wayne Christopher) (09/13/84)

> Today's newspaper reports rebellion in the streets of South
> Africa by a very oppressed people against a racist regime.
> It reports bloddy supression of strikers in Chile by a
> fascist government incapable of keeping the feeble economy
> alive. It reports new unity in the opposition to Phillipines
> Dictator Marcos.   All three repressive regimes are part of
> the "free" world and are friendly to the US Government.
> All three regimes are facing the just wrath of their
> population.
>
> Yet the debate on the net is not over the nature of these
> rebellions. It is not even over CIA  efforts to keep these
> doomed regimes alive.  The debate ASSUMES that the KGB is
> behind it all and the only question is how much to unleash
> the CIA to counter the KGB!!!!.

Undoubtedly the KGB is behind a lot of it, but that's not the
point. The USSR supports any and all countries which are willing
to cooperate with it in foreign policy, which includes
undermining the governments of other countries, whether they are
democratic and reasonable or fascist. They don't care about
human rights. We do care about human rights, and we should do
all we can to change the governments under our influence that
violate human rights. But this doesn't mean abandoning them
entirely to revolutionary (whether KGB-sponsored or not) forces,
if the new government wouldn't support us. We need all the help
we can get from whomever can give it to us to fight the Soviet
policy of "exporting revolution" (setting up puppet
Marxist-Leninist governments), and we can't afford to be too
picky.

Besides, this sort of sympathy for revolutionary forces tends to
lead to supporting acts like the overthrow of the Shah of
Iran, who, despite the claims of Khomeni, was a very good ruler,
and whose only mistake was limiting the power of the Islamic
church in Iran. Because of people who thought, "They're
complaining, so their government must be bad", a bunch of religous
fanatics were allowed to come into power and reverse years of
social and political advances under the Shah.

	Wayne

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (09/14/84)

>Besides, this sort of sympathy for revolutionary forces tends to
>lead to supporting acts like the overthrow of the Shah of
>Iran, who, despite the claims of Khomeni, was a very good ruler,
>and whose only mistake was limiting the power of the Islamic
>church in Iran. Because of people who thought, "They're
>complaining, so their government must be bad", a bunch of religous
>fanatics were allowed to come into power and reverse years of
>social and political advances under the Shah.
>
>	Wayne

Sometimes I wonder what else you believe.  I bet you also think that
Amnesty International is a KGB subsidiary.  If not, I would recommend
that you read some of their reports on political repression in Iran
during the Shah's rule.  You might find there evidence of a few more
things he did wrong.

Sophie Quigley
...!{clyde,ihnp4,decvax}!watmath!saquigley

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (09/17/84)

>>the Shah of
>>Iran, who, despite the claims of Khomeni, was a very good ruler,
>>	Wayne
>
>I would recommend
>that you read some of their reports on political repression in Iran
>during the Shah's rule.  You might find there evidence of a few more
>things he did wrong.
>Sophie Quigley

I'm afraid Sophie's right Wayne; I'm sure that, according to her defn.
no one has ever been a good ruler.  But Sophie, consider this: don't
you think that he was probably the best ruler Iran ever had, and is the
best that could be hoped for today?

	sdcrdcf!alan

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (09/18/84)

> Besides, this sort of sympathy for revolutionary forces tends to
> lead to supporting acts like the overthrow of the Shah of
> Iran, who, despite the claims of Khomeni, was a very good ruler,
> and whose only mistake was limiting the power of the Islamic
> church in Iran.
> 	Wayne

Let me tell you what one of my friends from Iran told me about the Shah
and his regime.  (this "very good ruler") He was a sociology student
which meant reading Marx whether agreeing with Marx or not.  He went to
the library and could never find any volumes of Marx' writings.  Suddenly
one day some of Marx writings appeared in the library and he went to check
them out.  His name was placed on a list of subversives--as were all those
students who checked out any of Marx' writings--within a few weeks all of
Marx writings were again taken out of the library.  The SAVAK had discovered
the "subversives" they wanted.  (actually my friend was really moderate
and basically apolitical)
This is an incident I have direct awareness of through a friend.  But I also
know that the Shah's secret police (the SAVAK) was frequently cited by human
rights groups for murders and torture.  When the Shah of Iran was deposed
all of the Iranian students where I went to school (Indiana University)
had a big party to celebrate the event.  What does that say about the
Shah's support among his people?
These students were not just peasants but the middle class and elite of Iran
who could afford to come to America to go to school.
Of course these students are now disappointed with the regime of Khomeini.
Some of them are trying to organize against Khomeini's regime.  But I
have never heard any Iranians I know of, say they wish the Shah were back or
that he hadn't been deposed.
And who do you suppose put this "very good ruler" on his throne?
The CIA in 1954 when they overthrew the government at the time to put the
Shah back in power.
And Ronald Reagan blames the rest of the world for their anger with the
power-politics of the US and Soviet Union!
Tim Sevener
Bell Labs, Whippany
whuxl!orb

mjk@tty3b.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (09/20/84)

From: alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak):
 >But Sophie, consider this: don't
 >you think that (the Shah) was probably the best ruler Iran ever had,
 >and is the best that could be hoped for today?

The Shah was installed in a coup that overthrew an elected government in
Iran.  It is widely believed that this coup was orchestrated by the CIA; it
is rather difficult to prove these things, but in any event an elected
government was overthrown by a tyrant who murdered thousands of his own people
to stay in power.

Just who the hell are you to say who is "probably the best ruler
Iran ever had," anyway?

Mike Kelly

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (09/21/84)

>>>the Shah of
>>>Iran, who, despite the claims of Khomeni, was a very good ruler,
>>>	Wayne

>>I would recommend
>>that you read some of their reports on political repression in Iran
>>during the Shah's rule.  You might find there evidence of a few more
>>things he did wrong.
>>Sophie Quigley

>I'm afraid Sophie's right Wayne; I'm sure that, according to her defn.
>no one has ever been a good ruler.  But Sophie, consider this: don't
>you think that he was probably the best ruler Iran ever had, and is the
>best that could be hoped for today?
>	sdcrdcf!alan

Quvum, the Prime Minister immediately  after World War II, was adept
diplomatically at preserving Iranian independence from Soviet
intrusion. Also, Mossadegh (spelling?), the Prime Minister overthrown
by the CIA to install the Shah, was superior to the Shah, both in
manevering the Iran diplomatically and not needing to torture as an
instrument of rule domestically. There, that's two modern examples.
Of course, the Shah was the (marginally) best ruler since 1954, but of
course it's easy to the best when you are virtually the only...

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (09/26/84)

If  Mossadegh  was  so  much  superior  to  the Shah in manipulating the
superpowers, how come he hardly lasted any time at all  as  a  ruler  of
Iran while the Shah was there for years?

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (09/28/84)

>Just who the hell are you to say who is "probably the best ruler
>Iran ever had," anyway?
>
>Mike Kelly

Jeesh, Mike, why the heat?

You don't need a license and written approval to say who is..etc.
And, anyway, i never SAID who is..etc.

The reason i made my stmt to Sophie is that from what i have learned about
the Shah he was doing what i consider to be about the most important
things an Iranian leader could do.  He was bringing Iran into the 20th
century.  He allowed dancing and movies, things which you cannot do
under the present religious regime.  He also allowed religious freedom,
or at least a lot more than is allowed in the typical Islamic state today.
He tried to force his people to be tolerant of the beliefs of others and
to face the realities of the world today.  This, i guess, was his downfall,
not the atrocities he was responsible for. The atorcities are being
committed in Iran today and the leader is loved.

I don't really think it's a good idea to open a big can of worms getting
into it about socio-centricity.  I thought it was fairly clear what i
was trying to say in my stmt to Sophie.  I'm surprised you got so hot
under the collar and blasted me about it.

	sdcrdcf!alan

reza@ihuxb.UUCP (H. Reza Taheri) (09/29/84)

>> From: martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo)
>> If  Mossadegh  was  so  much  superior  to  the Shah in manipulating the
>> superpowers, how come he hardly lasted any time at all  as  a  ruler  of
>> Iran while the Shah was there for years?

   You are right.  Mosaddegh (the d is pronounced twice not the s) was
very superior to the Shah in "being manipulated" by the superpowers.
(Shah was not manipulated by the US government; he was controlled by them
and he "knew" it).

   Mosaddegh's biggest source of popularity was his refusal to bow to
the colonial wishes of the British Empire.  In this, he was openly and
secretly encouraged by the United States!  Letters from the US Secretary
of State at the time to Mosaddegh are in the public domain.  How little
did he know that the support he received from the US was only to get rid
of the British influence in Iran through a third party and to later on
practically colonize the country.

   He even received indirect support from the Soviet Union.  The Tudeh
Party (the Communist party) was a part of his coalition government.  It
has been said that the sudden pull-out of the Tudeh Party out of the
cabinet and their ensuing opposition to Mosaddegh was partly responsible
for his demise.

H. Reza Taheri
...!ihnp4!ihuxb!reza
(312)-979-1040

P.S.  I hope I am not boring the net with my accounts of the history of
a country that is not directly involved in the debate.  I am just trying
to show that the situation in the third world countries has not changed
and continuing the old practices will result in more countries like
the present Iran.

newton2@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (10/01/84)

 "Boring the net"?

	Yeah, I guess you are. We Americans haven't a whole lot of patience
with all that detailed history crap (aka "bunk").

	Couldn't you just sum it up in a headline, with film at eleven?

If you need help adapting to our culture, here's a summary of all world
affairs, past present and future, which has proved quite servicable:

		"U.S.A. Numbah One!!!!" [repeat as needed]

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (10/23/84)

>>>the Shah of
>>>Iran, who, despite the claims of Khomeni, was a very good ruler,
>>>	Wayne
>>
>>I would recommend
>>that you read some of their reports on political repression in Iran
>>during the Shah's rule.  You might find there evidence of a few more
>>things he did wrong.
>>Sophie Quigley
>
>I'm afraid Sophie's right Wayne; I'm sure that, according to her defn.
>no one has ever been a good ruler.  But Sophie, consider this: don't
>you think that he was probably the best ruler Iran ever had, and is the
>best that could be hoped for today?
>
>	sdcrdcf!alan (Alan Algustyniak)

Indeed, even the US (gasp!) has recently been under attack by Amnesty
International because of their new medical techniques to administer the
death penalty.

I do not know enough about Iranian history to be able to compare its
different rulers.  For a while, towards the end of the shah's regime
and at the beginning of Khomeini's it did seem that it would be possible
to have some semblance of democracy in Iran.

I do not think that Khomeini is much better than the Shah (actually I think
he is much worse), but he does seem to have a much bigger following
in Iran than the shah did, and no matter how despotic and cruel he is, he
is ruling Iran because the iranians wanted him.  So they've only
got themselves to blame for the current situation!  Hopefully this experience
will be useful in the next government transition.  I personnally do not
see any reason why things could not improve in the future.  The iranian
revolution is still quite new, and looking at history, one often finds a period
of very strong backlash after many revolutions (e.g the french and russian
revolutions) followed by a relaxation.  It is quite possible that the
Iranian revolution will follow a similar pattern, as it is possible it won't.