[net.politics] Reagan as a BIG spender

kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen {Psychology}) (10/26/84)

The arguments that Reagan would balance the budget if only he got the
spending cuts he requested and had a line-item veto and a balanced
budget amendment simply ignore the facts of this administration's
economic policy.

Reagan's last budget was about $130,000,000,000 out of balance (by the
White house estimate) before congress even got to look at it.
So much for congress being the reason he can't balance the budget.
Previous presidents without line-item vetos and balanced budget
amendments have managed to keep deficits under $60 billion.  Reagan
has never managed to bring one in under $125 billion (remember his
lowest deficit came when he was operating under Carter's last budget).

To the citizen it matters little whether you deficits come from increased
goverment spending or increased government give-aways (tax breaks), the
deficit has to be paid for.  The fact that the American people seem little
concerned that Reagan has managed to increase the deficit by 66% in less
that four years is a bit shocking.  You don't need to be a economist to
see that Reagan should be able to double the entire national debt during
his two terms (if we are foolish enough to give him a second term).

So much for Reagan being a fiscal conservative.  It is intriguing to me
how one has only to spout conservative platitudes and the conservatives
in this country ignore reality and support the platitudes.  If Reagan
was evaluated on his performance, every conservative should be up in
arms.  He's smart though, the rich conservatives were bought off.
It is one thing if a deficit goes in your pocket and quite another if
it goes in someone elses.  How much of Reagan's deficit spending is
in Bunker Hunt et al.'s pocket via the tax-break?

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (10/31/84)

In article <1419@emory.UUCP> kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen {Psychology}) writes:
>Reagan's last budget was about $130,000,000,000 out of balance (by the
>White house estimate) before congress even got to look at it.
>So much for congress being the reason he can't balance the budget.

     There's a significant point being missed here: that  the  deficit  grew
large  because of tax cuts for *everyone* - which left *more* of what we all
earned in our own pockets where it belonged.  The central economic principle
at  issue  here  is  that  the  cost  of government to the public is what it
SPENDS.  If Washington spends too much, it has to tax, to borrow, or  monet-
ize.  ALL are harmful.  And those spending programs have evolved into a tan-
gled structure of gargantuan proportions with  an  illusory  image  of  per-
manence. The benefit of tax cuts are twofold: they allow the economy (that's
us) to use our earnings to expand prosperity and opportunity  for  everyone,
and  they pressure the spending addicts in the Congress to rein in a little.
Experience shows that tax increases to lower deficits  become  new  spending
programs as fast as an alcoholic's pledge to abstain becomes a hangover.

>To the citizen it matters little whether you deficits come from increased
>goverment spending or increased government give-aways (tax breaks), the
>deficit has to be paid for.

     Well, I can agree with the final statement above, but certainly not the
first.  Yes,  deficits have to be paid for eventually.  However, recall that
citizens get larger paychecks, or lower tax liabilities when taxes  are  cut
(and  referring  to  them  as  giveaways  is pure nonsense), while increased
spending does not.  Few citizens I know think it "matters little"  when  the
government adds or subtracts dollars to their annual tax liability.

     Note that you can't "give  away"  to  someone  that  which  is  already
theirs!   Let's  drop  this illusion that our earnings belong to the govern-
ment.  The "rich" STILL pay a 50% top marginal rate!  That means  that,  for
someone  in  that  bracket,  each dollar earned by their efforts is worth as
much in income tax to the government as  it  is  to  the  earner!   That  is
unfair,  regardless  of how wealthy the person is. Nobody should have to pay
more than 25% or so on a marginal dollar.

     Yes, a given reduction in across-the-board tax rates will result  in  a
larger  dollar  amount of tax relief to the upper brackets - but IF and ONLY
IF they were paying the larger tax bills in the first place! Remember, those
who  were  paying  little in taxes before the cuts got a tax break of 10% of
very little - which is even "littler"!
--
[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard