[net.politics] gunpoint

colonel@gloria.UUCP (George Sicherman) (09/14/84)

["Labor deserves respect; property, power."  --The Slavertarian Manifesto]

>>	Perhaps we who are libertarians are just a little more
>>	concerned at how tacky it is to point guns at people and force
>>	them to go along with us (however well-intentioned the cause).

"Tacky" is hardly the word!  And those of us who are not libertarians
accept that in any society the people with guns and followers will
force us to go along with them.  When central goverment relinquishes
or loses this power, gangs assume it.

	    "Well, David," said he, "since he couldnae be rid of the
	loyal commons by fair means, he swore he would be rid of them by
	foul.  Ardshiel was to starve; that was the thing he aimed at.
	And since them that fed him in his exile wouldnae be bought
	out--right or wrong, he would drive them out.  Therefore he sent
	for lawyers and papers, and red-coats to stand at his back.  And
	the kindly folk of that country must all pack and tramp, every
	father's son out of his father's house, and out of the place
	where he was bred and fed, and played when he was a callant.
	And who are to succeed them?  Bare-leggit beggars!  King George
	is to whistle for his rents; he maun dow with less; he can
	spread his butter thinner: what cares Red Colin?"

				R. L. Stevenson, _Kidnapped_ (1886)
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...seismo!rochester!rocksanne!rocksvax!sunybcs!gloria!colonel

mwm@ea.UUCP (09/20/84)

/***** ea:net.politics / gloria!colonel / 11:53 pm  Sep 18, 1984 */
>>	Perhaps we who are libertarians are just a little more
>>	concerned at how tacky it is to point guns at people and force
>>	them to go along with us (however well-intentioned the cause).

"Tacky" is hardly the word!  And those of us who are not libertarians
accept that in any society the people with guns and followers will
force us to go along with them.  When central goverment relinquishes
or loses this power, gangs assume it.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...seismo!rochester!rocksanne!rocksvax!sunybcs!gloria!colonel
/* ---------- */

But does it have to be that way? A libertarian government (government ==
those with the guns) would only use force to dissuade others from the use
of force [Ok, I concede, that would be an ideal libertarian government,
with ideal people. Probably not with real people.]

Since the US doesn't have such a governmnet, we support the "gang" that
comes closest to doing what we want, as do the non-libertarians. The
difference is, if our "gang" came into power, you would be free to do what
you wanted until you started interfering with someone else's freedom to do
so. How many other "gangs" is that true for?

	<mike

renner@uiucdcs.UUCP (09/22/84)

>  >>	Perhaps we who are libertarians are just a little more
>  >>	concerned at how tacky it is to point guns at people and force
>  >>	them to go along with us (however well-intentioned the cause).
>
>  "Tacky" is hardly the word!  And those of us who are not libertarians
>  accept that in any society the people with guns and followers will
>  force us to go along with them.  When central goverment relinquishes
>  or loses this power, gangs assume it.
>  					-- Col. G. L. Sicherman

Any group with guns and followers that chooses to force others to "go along"
with them *is* a government.  This is the distinguishing characteristic of
governments.  When "central government" is replaced by "gangs," all we
really have is a change of government -- most probably, a change for the
worse.

But it wouldn't have to be that way.  There is no reason why I couldn't
gather guns and followers in group self-defense.  Others could come to
trade, or join if they accepted the rules of the group.  Those who came
to steal or subdue would be fought.  All without the protection of
"central government."

Scott Renner
ihnp4!uiucdcs!renner

scw@cepu.UUCP (09/27/84)

In article <29200147@uiucdcs.UUCP> renner@uiucdcs.UUCP writes:
>>  >>	Perhaps we who are libertarians are just a little more
>>  >>	concerned at how tacky it is to point guns at people and force
>>  >>	them to go along with us (however well-intentioned the cause).
>>
>>  "Tacky" is hardly the word!  And those of us who are not libertarians
>>  accept that in any society the people with guns and followers will
>>  force us to go along with them.  When central goverment relinquishes
>>  or loses this power, gangs assume it.
>>  					-- Col. G. L. Sicherman
>
>Any group with guns and followers that chooses to force others to "go along"
>with them *is* a government.  This is the distinguishing characteristic of
>governments.  When "central government" is replaced by "gangs," all we
>really have is a change of government -- most probably, a change for the
>worse.
>
>But it wouldn't have to be that way.  There is no reason why I couldn't
>gather guns and followers in group self-defense.  Others could come to
>trade, or join if they accepted the rules of the group.  Those who came
>to steal or subdue would be fought.  All without the protection of
>"central government."
>
>Scott Renner
>ihnp4!uiucdcs!renner

This is called Feudalism, but Feudalism is much more difficult to
practice when you can't build semi-invulnerable castles (that only
require a few people to defend).  Of course, as the Man said,
"Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom.".

'...For might makes right
  until the've seen the light...'

--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb, sdcrdcf}!cepu!scw

lkk@mit-eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) (09/28/84)

Most governments ARE nothing but gangs with guns, these are called
totalitarian states.  Other governments are at least somewhat responsive
to the need of the populace, the U.S. govt. is one of those.

GIVEN THAT NATURE ABHORS A POWER VACUUM, INTELLIGENT PEOPLE SHOULD
TRY TO FILL IT WITH SOMETHING THAT IS AT WORST BENIGN, LIBERTARIANS, WHO
WOULD LEAVE THAT VACUUM WIDE OPEN, ARE MERELY LEAVING THEMSELVES
VULNERABLE TO ATTACK FROM NON-GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES, WHICH WILL MOST
LIKELY BE MUCH LESS (AT LEAST IN THIS COUNTRY) AFFECTED BY PUBLIC OPINION.

--
larry kolodney (The Devil's Advocate)

UUCP: ...{ihnp4, decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!lkk

ARPA: lkk@mit-mc

renner@uiucdcs.UUCP (10/03/84)

>>   But it wouldn't have to be that way.  There is no reason why I couldn't
>>   gather guns and followers in group self-defense.  Others could come to
>>   trade, or join if they accepted the rules of the group.  Those who came
>>   to steal or subdue would be fought.  All without the protection of
>>   "central government."		-- Scott Renner (renner@uiucdcs)

>   This is called Feudalism, but Feudalism is much more difficult to
>   practice when you can't build semi-invulnerable castles (that only
>   require a few people to defend).  Of course, as the Man said,
>   "Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom.".
>					-- Stephen Woods (scw@cepru

I was all set to flame, but then I reread my original article -- and by
damn, it does sound a little like feudalism.  The trouble is with the
word "followers".  I would like to replace it with "companions", or
"other group members", or even "co-defenders of the people's
libertarian movement against the corrupt influence of statist
imperialists"

Now it doesn't sound like feudalism.

Scott Renner
{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!renner

nrh@inmet.UUCP (10/03/84)

#R:gloria:-54200:inmet:7800140:000:2065
inmet!nrh    Sep 30 14:55:00 1984

>***** inmet:net.politics / mit-eddie!mit-eddie /  7:31 am  Sep 30, 1984
>Most governments ARE nothing but gangs with guns, these are called
>totalitarian states.  Other governments are at least somewhat responsive
>to the need of the populace, the U.S. govt. is one of those.
>
>GIVEN THAT NATURE ABHORS A POWER VACUUM, INTELLIGENT PEOPLE SHOULD
>TRY TO FILL IT WITH SOMETHING THAT IS AT WORST BENIGN, LIBERTARIANS, WHO
>WOULD LEAVE THAT VACUUM WIDE OPEN, ARE MERELY LEAVING THEMSELVES
>VULNERABLE TO ATTACK FROM NON-GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES, WHICH WILL MOST
>LIKELY BE MUCH LESS (AT LEAST IN THIS COUNTRY) AFFECTED BY PUBLIC OPINION.

About half of libertarians are anarchists, that is, they want NO
state.  The rest of us would prefer a minimal state with little or no
mechanism for increasing its power.  Both types of libertarians
would be happy to cut back the state by about 95-98%, and then we'd no doubt
start squabbling among ourselves about the last 5-2%.

As for your assumption that a government should be affected by public
opinion, it strikes me as a fine scare tactic (gosh, if the government
isn't sensitive to MY opinion, it might lock me up), but since the
mechanism by which government is affected by public opinion leaves it
pathetically open to special-interest-induced growth, it's not clear to
me that one shouldn't wish for a government that CANNOT respond to
certain "public opinions".

There are (happily) parts of our own constitution that do this, and
have done it well.  There is no state religion, and there'd have to
be a pretty strong majority to impose one (not just a sensitivity
to public opinion -- you'd need a 2/3'rds majority in congress).

On the other hand, we have the "National Endowment for the Arts".
Isn't it wonderful that our government is sensitive enough to
public opinion to commit extortion and theft to support the arts?
Surely our lives must be enriched by such a policy.

Sensitivity to popular opinion has its points -- the problem
is that government will do immoral and illegal things to
pander to it.

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (10/04/84)

Look, I'm sick of hearing knee-jerk libertarians refer to everything that
the government does as 'extortion'.  If you are responsible, and pay for
what the government does for you, it's not extortion or theft, it's just
paying for what you use. For people who feel as though their political
beliefs entitle them to a free ride (by not paying taxes), threat of force
is necessary. Sure, it's 'tacky', but it's pretty tacky to use roads and
public facilities that OTHER PEOPLE pay for, and take advantage of the
military protection and police protection that they have no right to,
while all the time whining that they don't want to pay for it. If you
don't want to pay taxes, go and live in the mountains and declare yourself
open to anybody who wants to come and kill you (you didn't want to pay for
police...).  Just don't take advantage of MY responsible views towards
paying my fair share.

	Wayne

keller@uicsl.UUCP (10/08/84)

Dear Wayne,

Just what is a "fair share"? Pretty soon we will all be paying our
"fair share" at well over 50% of our incomes. Just because some people
don't mind being slaves doesn't mean that the rest of us are whining.

-Shaun

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (10/10/84)

> Not everything the government does is extortion.  Some of its
> activities are quite beneficent.  The problem is that those
> activities, unless funded entirely by fees, are paid for by
> money taken by force.

So? That's not extortion, because the government does it, and the majority
of people in the US support this form of tax collection. The difference
between "extortion" and "legitimate use of force" is whether it's done
by private individuals or by a democratically elected government.

> Fine.  Libertarians would (in general) be the last to insist
> that anybody give them something they had not paid for.

Show me a libertarian who would prevent the fire department from putting
out a fire in his house because he did't pay taxes (and was too lazy
to subscribe to a private fire department).

> Jim Lewis, the Libertarian candidate for
> US Vice President, has not paid federal income tax for 3 years
> (this was his answer to a NY talk show host's question about what
> impact his philosophy has had on his own life.  HE DOES IT FOR
> MORAL AND LEGAL REASONS, NOT BECAUSE HE WANTS A FREE RIDE.

Convenient, isn't it?

> Leaving roads and defense aside, what does the federal government do
> with your taxes?  Of course, you pay for these even if you don't "use"
> them:
>
> 	Dairy farm price supports, Tobacco price supports (and
> 	ongoing cancer/cigarette research), covert aid to
		(and so on)

I never said that that I like what is being done with tax revenues. I think
that a lot of the things you mention should be eliminated. But the best
(and only) way to get rid of these things is by legitimate means, not
by refusing to pay taxes and refusing to recognise the government's
authority.

> Crowing about how responsible you are, and not even questioning how
> worthwhile the cause is that you're championing (government action)
> doesn't strike me as all that responsible.

I'm championing the government's basic right to tax people, not the
things that they are using tax money for now.

> Don't you understand?  I don't want to tax you to accomplish my goals.
> I'd willingly forgo public roads, public libraries, and the rest, were
> they not implemented in such a way as to destroy any private alternatives.

Then do something about it -- vote for people who will implement things
like that properly. (Or run for office yourself.)

	Wayne

shad@teldata.UUCP (10/10/84)

>            Just don't take advantage of MY responsible views towards
>  paying my fair share.
>
>	Wayne

Your "fair share" now totals more than $144,000 on the deficit.  If you
are "responsible" please make payment to the U.S. Dept. of Treasury
as soon as possible.  Thanks, we need more responsible people like you.

	Warren

bruce@godot.UUCP (Bruce Nemnich) (10/11/84)

In article <2732@ucbcad.UUCP> faustus@ucbcad.UUCP writes:
>> Fine.  Libertarians would (in general) be the last to insist
>> that anybody give them something they had not paid for.
>
>Show me a libertarian who would prevent the fire department from putting
>out a fire in his house because he did't pay taxes (and was too lazy
>to subscribe to a private fire department).

He said he wouldn't expect them to put it out, not that he would prevent
them from doing so if they wished.
--
--Bruce Nemnich, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, MA
  {astrovax,cca,harvard,ihnp4,ima,mit-eddie,...}!godot!bruce, BJN@MIT-MC.ARPA

rs55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Robert E. Schleicher) (10/12/84)

The so-called "fair-share" of the deficit was posted by someone as
$144,000.  First off, I'll assume that this is really supposed to
represent a per-capita portion of the national debt, not of the
yearly deficit.  Even so, a number like $144,000 is way out of whack.

I thought our total national debt was somewhat grreater than $1 trillion,
or 10 to the 12th dollars.  With 230 million or so people (men, women and
children), this translates to something more than $4000 - $5000 per
person.  I seem to recall reading a figure like $8,000 as the current
per-capita debt.  Thus, even if we are only counting members of the
workforce, rather than total population, $144,000 is much too large

(This is not to say that $8,000 per person isn't excessive; I think
 it is.)

Bob Schleicher
ihuxk!rs55611

renner@uiucdcs.UUCP (10/13/84)

>  > Not everything the government does is extortion.  Some of its
>  > activities are quite beneficent.  The problem is that those
>  > activities, unless funded entirely by fees, are paid for by
>  > money taken by force.
>
>  So? That's not extortion, because the government does it, and the majority
>  of people in the US support this form of tax collection. The difference
>  between "extortion" and "legitimate use of force" is whether it's done
>  by private individuals or by a democratically elected government.

The difference you point out here is only one of legality.  The act is
the same regardless of whether it's done by individuals acting alone or
individuals acting as an organized mob.  Extortion is, by definition, the
obtaining of a thing from another party by threat of force rather than by
agreement.

Scott Renner
{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!renner

nrh@inmet.UUCP (10/14/84)

>***** inmet:net.politics / ucbcad!faustus / 10:45 am  Oct  4, 1984
>Look, I'm sick of hearing knee-jerk libertarians refer to everything that
>the government does as 'extortion'.

Not everything the government does is extortion.  Some of its
activities are quite beneficent.  The problem is that those
activities, unless funded entirely by fees, are paid for by
money taken by force.

>If you are responsible, and pay for
>what the government does for you, it's not extortion or theft, it's just
>paying for what you use.

Fine.  Libertarians would (in general) be the last to insist
that anybody give them something they had not paid for.

>For people who feel as though their political
>beliefs entitle them to a free ride (by not paying taxes), threat of force
>is necessary.

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!  Are you implying libertarians do this?  Are
you saying that anyone who does this wants a free ride?  If so,
you're out of line.  Jim Lewis, the Libertarian candidate for
US Vice President, has not paid federal income tax for 3 years
(this was his answer to a NY talk show host's question about what
impact his philosophy has had on his own life.  HE DOES IT FOR
MORAL AND LEGAL REASONS, NOT BECAUSE HE WANTS A FREE RIDE.

>Sure, it's 'tacky', but it's pretty tacky to use roads and
>public facilities that OTHER PEOPLE pay for, and take advantage of the
>military protection and police protection that they have no right to,
>while all the time whining that they don't want to pay for it.

You're blurring the distinction between people who pay taxes and
complain that they're too high and people who DON'T pay taxes.
Watch your implications, buddy.

I sure wouldn't mind paying for the roads and stuff
that I use, but this is not an option.  Why?  Because your tax
dollars and mine go to fund an inefficient way of building roads.
If there WERE no public roads, there would be private ones.  If there
were only a few public roads, there would be private ones elsewhere.
I am told that the majority of the road system in New England before
1850 was private, and one still finds toll bridges here and there.

Leaving roads and defense aside, what does the federal government do
with your taxes?  Of course, you pay for these even if you don't "use"
them:

	Dairy farm price supports, Tobacco price supports (and
	ongoing cancer/cigarette research), covert aid to
	various South American factions, Social Security
	(arguably the world's largest ponzi scheme), enforcement
	of gambling, prostitution, and drug abuse laws
	(about half of all law-enforcement money is spent
	enforcing victimless crimes, such as these), control
	of the national air-traffic-control system (better done
	privately), attempts to regulate what may be said in
	private newspapers (SEC attempts to make journals about
	the Stock Market "register" with them, and has, one at a
	time prosecuted those who refused), regulation of the
	following industries: railroads; interstate trucking;
	television (though less now); drug production;
	automobiles (try buying a Citroen or a Japanese car);
	mail (it is ILLEGAL to run your own mail system for
	first-class (letter) mail); medical care.

>If you
>don't want to pay taxes, go and live in the mountains and declare yourself
>open to anybody who wants to come and kill you (you didn't want to pay for
>police...).

	I don't have to go to the mountains.  Any reasonable ghetto
	will do fine, if I want inadequate police protection -- paid for
	by taxation.  As for going into the mountains, I'd do it in a minute,
	were I not convinced the IRS would still come calling (not to mention
	the state government, and the county....)

>Just don't take advantage of MY responsible views towards
>paying my fair share.

Crowing about how responsible you are, and not even questioning how
worthwhile the cause is that you're championing (government action)
doesn't strike me as all that responsible.

Feel free to pay your fair share, but look over the list above,
and ask yourself: how much of "dairy farm supports", or whatever, is
my fair share?  Should I even be billed for part of it?  Should I be
forced to pay for any of it?  Isn't it TACKY to threaten me with
imprisonment so that some schools can have "free lunches"?

Look, my argument is NOT that schools should not serve lunch, or that
little old ladies should freeze in winter -- my argument is that government
(when it does any good at all) does it very inefficiently compared to
what private charities would do.  As for the non-charitable activities,
such as building roads, and running mail, I suggest that people do
a little historical probing -- roadbuilding need not be a government
activity (and before you rag me about how private roads would result in
toll booths everywhere, try traveling on the NY state throughway, and
then tell me how public roads are better).  I've yet to see a coherent
argument about why we need a public post office.  The most loudly
stated one seems to be based on votes:  the postal lobby is strong,
and Rural Free Delivery wouldn't happen if it weren't a US-run thing.

Such bushwah!  *I* am paying for Rural Free Delivery, and you tell me
not to protest.  *I* am paying for the honor of paying higher prices for
milk, and you imply that I'm irresponsible.  *I* am paying for the
enforcement (by violence) of laws that strike me as moralistic, useless,
expensive, and corrupting, and you ask me not to "whine".

Don't you understand?  I don't want to tax you to accomplish my goals.
I'd willingly forgo public roads, public libraries, and the rest, were
they not implemented in such a way as to destroy any private alternatives.

nrh@inmet.UUCP (10/14/84)

#R:gloria:-54200:inmet:7800143:000:5109
inmet!nrh    Oct 11 20:00:00 1984

>***** inmet:net.politics / ucbcad!faustus / 11:15 pm  Oct  9, 1984
>> Not everything the government does is extortion.  Some of its
>> activities are quite beneficent.  The problem is that those
>> activities, unless funded entirely by fees, are paid for by
>> money taken by force.
>
>So? That's not extortion, because the government does it, and the majority
>of people in the US support this form of tax collection. The difference
>between "extortion" and "legitimate use of force" is whether it's done
>by private individuals or by a democratically elected government.

We need a rule on this net: no correction of diction without reference
to a dictionary.  That said:
	ex-tor-tion ... 1: the act or practice of extorting esp. money or
	other property; specif: the offense committed by an official who
	practices extortion.

	ex-tort ... 1 a (1) : to obtain from an unwilling or reluctant
	person by physical force, intimidation, or the abuse of legal
	or official authority: get by compelling: FORCE, EXACT
	<till the injurious Romans did ~ this tribute from us we were
	free -- Shak>
			- Webster's Third New International Dictionary

Satisfied, Wayne?  No reference here to illegality, for the term
"extortion" doesn't depend on it.  We went through this once before
with the term "theft" as in "Taxation is Theft", and the same holds
true for that word.

>> Fine.  Libertarians would (in general) be the last to insist
>> that anybody give them something they had not paid for.
>
>Show me a libertarian who would prevent the fire department from putting
>out a fire in his house because he did't pay taxes (and was too lazy
>to subscribe to a private fire department).

Read my statement one more time, (louder, please) LIBERTARIANS WOULD
(IN GENERAL) BE THE LAST TO ****INSIST**** THAT ANYBODY GIVE THEM
SOMETHING THEY HAD NOT PAID FOR.

Get it?  I surely would not stop anybody from putting out my burning
house, (depending on their methods) but I don't feel I've the right
to INSIST on it unless I've paid for it.

>> Jim Lewis, the Libertarian candidate for
>> US Vice President, has not paid federal income tax for 3 years
>> (this was his answer to a NY talk show host's question about what
>> impact his philosophy has had on his own life.  HE DOES IT FOR
>> MORAL AND LEGAL REASONS, NOT BECAUSE HE WANTS A FREE RIDE.
>
>Convenient, isn't it?

Cheap shot, and untrue.  He went through a great deal
(threats to him and to his mother that he'd go to jail,
mandatory court appearances and interviews)
because of his decision, and for what?  Sure, he's glad he keeps
the money, but I suspect his life would have been considerably simpler
without it.  He's convinced of his (and your) right to not pay taxes, and
stood on his convictions.  I don't hear of you taking any risks, such
as publicizing civil disobedience, so perhaps you should consider
whether you'd have the guts to do it if the government did something
YOU didn't like.  If not, how "convenient" was Lewis' action?

>> Leaving roads and defense aside, what does the federal government do
>> with your taxes?  Of course, you pay for these even if you don't "use"
>> them:
>>
>> 	Dairy farm price supports, Tobacco price supports (and
>> 	ongoing cancer/cigarette research), covert aid to
>		(and so on)
>
>I never said that that I like what is being done with tax revenues. I think
>that a lot of the things you mention should be eliminated. But the best
>(and only) way to get rid of these things is by legitimate means, not
>by refusing to pay taxes and refusing to recognize the government's
>authority.

The *ONLY* way?  Holy revisionism! Quick -- no American Revolution in
1776 -- we'd best re-write those history books.  Seriously: what do you
consider legitimate?  Was "bracket-creep" a legitimate way to RAISE
taxes?  If not, why not?  If it was not legitimate, should one pay those
taxes ANYHOW?  Why?

>> worthwhile the cause is that you're championing (government action)
>> doesn't strike me as all that responsible.
>
>I'm championing the government's basic right to tax people, not the
>things that they are using tax money for now.

And I say to you: do not think that you can build a government such
that taxes are not abused.  Badly.  Do not bother to defend taxation
on the theory that it MIGHT someday be used for something good.
Remember -- you're advocating extortion to support the government --
oughtn't you to have a VERY GOOD CAUSE for doing so?

>> Don't you understand?  I don't want to tax you to accomplish my goals.
>> I'd willingly forgo public roads, public libraries, and the rest, were
>> they not implemented in such a way as to destroy any private alternatives.
>
>Then do something about it -- vote for people who will implement things
>like that properly. (Or run for office yourself.)

Indeed I will.  I have (voted that way, not run for office).  There's
no state income tax in Alaska because people did just that (Thank you
Dick Randolph).  Wouldn't you call participating in this discussion
a good way of drawing the attention of voters to my cause?

					- Nat Howard

mwm@ea.UUCP (10/21/84)

>***** inmet:net.politics / ucbcad!faustus / 11:15 pm  Oct  9, 1984
Then do something about it -- vote for people who will implement things
like that properly. (Or run for office yourself.)
/* ---------- */

I'd rather try and provide competitive services that do things right. But
the government won't let me in most cases, or takes money from me to help
them compete with me.

	<mike

steven@mcvax.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) (10/25/84)

<6118@mcvax.UUCP> cancelled from rn.

hayes@westcsr.UUCP (Sean Hayes) (10/31/84)

This idea of having private fire brigades, etc.
was, I believe, tried out in London in the early
days of fire-fighting. My history might not be
correct here but I think you will find it was not
a resounding success, ( several fire engines arriving
at scene, arguments over which should put out the fire,
getting in each others way, luckless householder watches
his property being destroyed :-).
Governments and institutions might not be giving the best
possible solutions, but make sure
you have really got something better before you pull
them down.
		Sean.

		"It is immoral to use private property
		 in order to alleviate the horrible