[net.politics] Soviet Union invading Europe

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (10/18/84)

> So the amateur strategists never say why the SU would want West Europe,
> do they?  Ok, here is an amateur strategist (among other appelations).
>
> Western Europe is an embarrasment to the SU.  There is always some
> social incorrigible voting with his feet and trying to leave the SU or
> East Europe.  He'll probably get shot or blown up but it's worth it.
> How many people want to emigrate to the SU?
>
> The presence of an open society so close to the SU is a continuous problem.
> 	Steve Rojak, So Plainfield, NJ

It is remotely possible that the Soviet Union would wish to invade Western
Europe but I think it extremely unlikely.  People who are always crying
wolf about the Soviet Union invading Western Europe forget that they have
had an independent country closeby since the end of World War 2-namely
Yugoslavia.  While Yugoslavia is ruled by Tito's Communist Party, they
have always pursued a policy independent of the Soviet Union.  They have
also engaged in interesting experiments in workers democracy and freeing up
the rigid Communist bureaucratic system.  If the Soviet Union doesn't wish
to take the risk of invading a small country like Yugoslavia why should
they want to challenge the region that led to the loss of 15 million Soviet
lives in the last European War? While I am not about to claim that the
Soviet Union will not take advantage of opportunities for expansion, I
also think their foreign policy since WW II has been essentially cautious
and defensive in character. I think that they are very much afraid of a
re-united Germany with renewed military strength.  But the West was afraid
of the same prospect--which is one reason the West (Britain, France, the US)
were not overly upset when Germany was divided.
If the Soviet Union is so keen on expansion why haven't they invaded
Yugoslavia to install Soviet puppets there?
Tim Sevener
whuxl!orb

scw@cepu.UUCP (Stephen C. Woods) (10/22/84)

In article <292@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>> So the amateur strategists never say why the SU would want West Europe,
>> do they?  Ok, here is an [...] divided.
>If the Soviet Union is so keen on expansion why haven't they invaded
>Yugoslavia to install Soviet puppets there?

Well for one thing they saw what happened to the Germans durring WWII,
Th German Army had 3 Army Groups (about 12 Divisions all together) tied
up in Yugoslavia from 1943-1945. And this was against a very badly divided
bunch of Yugoslavs (3 different Armies fighting each other more that the
Germans). Yugoslavia is ideal country to defend (much like Switzerland in
that respect).
--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb, sdcrdcf}!cepu!scw

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (10/23/84)

The Soviet Union has not invaded Yugoslvia because of the risk of
wider war.  If they could be sure of winning such a war, there would
be no reason to believe that they would not use that superiority to
indeed bring Yugoslavia back into Soviet orbit.  The fact that they do
not do so is NOT prima facie evidence that they do not have the
desire...
					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

amir@digi-g.UUCP (Amir ) (10/26/84)

In article <> david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) writes:
>The Soviet Union has not invaded Yugoslvia because of the risk of
>wider war.  If they could be sure of winning such a war, there would
>be no reason to believe that they would not use that superiority to
>indeed bring Yugoslavia back into Soviet orbit.  The fact that they do
>not do so is NOT prima facie evidence that they do not have the
>desire...
>					David Rubin
>			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

And that is true of most of the countries specially U.S.  If one is sure
that they can win a war, they would do it.  In case of U.S., some times they
do it even when they are not sure.

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (10/29/84)

	Here's a sure way of defending western Europe against Soviet
invasion. It's expensive, although not as expensive as our current defenses,
and relies on a weapon to which Russians are vulnerable and we aren't.

	We line the West German border, almost continuously, with shopping
malls. The stores are filled with high quality goods, everything from blue
jeans to frozen steaks to reliable washing-machines, and with plenty of glossy
magazines (including obscene ones) lying around. Outside, the parking lots are
full of BMW's and Mercedes, all with the keys in the ignition. Would any
Russian leader risk letting a few hundred thousand ordinary citizens (ie, army
conscripts) even see such a sight?

john@x.UUCP (John Woods) (10/31/84)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR BUG ***

> We line the West German border...with shopping malls...

By God, he's got it!  Of course it will work!!  You don't see Russian tanks
lined up outside New Jersey, now, do you???
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1114
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

roy@eisx.UUCP (Steve Rojak) (11/02/84)

The SU did not invade Yugoslavia after Tito's break because the SU was not
in a position to enforce its will on Tito.  The Soviet sphere in Europe
is exactly as far as the Red Army got during WW2.  Note that Albania does
things their own way, and were Maoist for a long time (may still be).
Yugoslavia was liberated by Yugoslav partisans, who did not exactly welcome
the Red Army either.  Present/future events should be judged in this light.
	eisx!roy