[net.politics] Peace in the Middle East

jefff@cadovax.UUCP (Jeff Fields) (10/12/84)

Yehoyaqim Martillo writes:

>In Israel it is always possible to find 1/2 million ignorant, crude, low
>common and vulgar  VusVusim  (European  Jews)  to  demonstrate  for  any
>mindless  leftist  goal.   If Israel had been assured of US military and
>financial aid, West Beirut could have been annihilated within  a  couple
>of  days and Lebanon could have been cleansed of Muslim barbarism within
>a week afterwards at which  point  a  West-leaning  puppet  state  under
>Maronite  domination  could have been set up.  The United States refused
>to go along and stupidly involved itself in  the  quagmire  losing  many
>soldiers and practically handed Lebanon over to Assad's pillaging.

If Nazi-Germany had been assured of US  military  and  financial  aid,
Western  Europe  could  have been annihilated within a couple of weeks
and the modern world could have  been  cleansed  of  Jewish  babrabism
within  a  month  afterwards  at  which point a fascist-leaning puppet
state under Nazi domination could have been set up. :-)

Mr. Martillo where is your smiley?  Did you  forget  it,  or  are  you
seriously in favor of genocide?

>The  most  bigoted  regressive  segment  of  the population composes the
>so-called peace movement in Israel.

Hundred's of  innocent  women  and  children  were  massacred  at  the
Palestinian  settlement  in  Beirut.   Add to that the other thousands
slaughtered by Israeli and Lebanese militias and it is no wonder  that
some  Isreali citizens are demonstrating for the fair treatment of the
Islamic population of the Middle East.  Actually,  the  most  bigotted
and  regressive segment of the population are the ex-terrorists in the
Israeli government who continue to pursue the dangerous expansionistic
policies of Zionism.

>I have no objection to making peace with the Muslims but  first  Muslims
>somewhere  must  show some tiny shred of evidence of willingness to live
>on terms of mutal respect and  equality  with  non-Muslims,  and  Muslim
>political   and   religious   leaders  must  concede  that  Muslims  owe
>non-Muslims for centuries of mistreatment.

Need I mention Sadat, who was brutally assasinated for  showing  "some
tiny  shred  of  evidence  of  willingness  to live on terms of mutual
respect and equality with non-Muslims"?  Actually, he showed  a  great
deal of tolerance when he negotiated with Begin.

Actually it is the Christians who  have  most  brutalized  the  Jewish
race.   This,  of course, is a generalization.  Not all Christians are
anti-semitic.  Not all followers of Islam are anti-semitic.   Not  all
Jews are anti-islamic.

The Israelis have the responsibility of returning the Golan Heights to
the  Syrians, the West Bank to the Palestinians, and the Gaza Strip to
the Egyptians.  In the interim, while  all  this  is  negotiated,  the
Israelis  if they want to be called democratic, must address the issue
of  human  rights  for  the  Palestinians  residing  in  the  occupied
territories.

The leaders  of  the  Islamic  nations  surrounding  Isreal  have  the
responsibility  of  recognizing  the  nation  of Israel and working to
achieve peace in the region.

So, who goes first?  Someone has to start.  Now that Shimon  Peres  is
Prime  Minister,  there  is a good chance that we may see peace in our
time.  Already he has made overtures to King Hussein of  Jordan.   Let
us  all  pray  to Jehovah/God/Allah so that all people can flourish on
this earth in peace and harmony.

                                Jeff Fields
--
Pax Vobiscum.

myers@uwvax.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (10/13/84)

> >The  most  bigoted  regressive  segment  of  the population composes the
> >so-called peace movement in Israel.

Funny, some of the most intelligent, open-minded, and progressive people I
know are Jews in the peace movement.

myers@uwvax.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (10/16/84)

> >Funny, some of the most intelligent, open-minded, and progressive people I
> >know are Jews in the peace movement.
>
> Just  shows your immense ignorance of Israel.

Who was talking about Israel?  I'm talking about Jews in Madison, WI.

Your later caricature of all Muslims as ex-masters trying to regain their
mastery was *rather* insulting to this "Western intellectual".  Has about
as much merit as lumping all Jews together, or lumping all Jewish peace
activists together.

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (10/17/84)

> The Israelis have the responsibility of returning the Golan Heights to
> the  Syrians, the West Bank to the Palestinians, and the Gaza Strip to
> the Egyptians.

Every now and then, I read a statement like this. It is always a mystery
to me how anybody can rationally claim this sort of thing.

The Israelis WON, dammit! They have no obligation or duty to "return"
captured territory to any defeated enemies. They can do what they
damn well please with any territory they can hold by force of arms.

If they want to withdraw from occupied territory and cede it back to
the state which held it prior to the war(s), they can. That is up to
them. It is NOT up to us to tell them to do this.

Wanting the situation to be restored to what it was like before the
wars were fought is a symptom of the modern attitude that no one
should suffer for their mistakes. It is like this was some sort of
game being played for money with the understanding that, after the game
ends, everybody gets their original money back. Nobody loses. War is
not like that. The Arab states that fought Israel made a mistake.
It is right and proper that they suffer for making those mistakes.

Will Martin

steven@mcvax.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) (10/18/84)

> [The Israelis] can do what they damn well please with any territory they
> can hold by force of arms.

HEY! So it's alright for the Soviet Union to stay in Afghanistan after all!

jaap@haring.UUCP (10/19/84)

> [The Israelis] can do what they damn well please with any territory they
> can hold by force of arms.

Very stupid of the US to get out of Germany, they just could have hold
it in 1945.

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (10/21/84)

>> [The Israelis] can do what they damn well please with any territory they
>> can hold by force of arms.

>Very stupid of the US to get out of Germany, they just could have hold
>it in 1945.

Personally, I think the Morgenthau plan (deindustrialization of Germany)
would have been too lenient.  As I remember, the Russians did strip East
Germany of much of its industrial capacity, take a lot East Germans east
as slave laborers and still maintain an occupation force.   Somehow  the
mindless  (West)  European leftist notion of the equivalence of USSR and
USA policy seems to have no relation to reality.  Not that I would  mind
if the USA had treated W. Germany as the USSR treated E. Germany.

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (10/21/84)

>> [The Israelis] can do what they damn well please with any territory they
>> can hold by force of arms.

>HEY! So it's alright for the Soviet Union to stay in Afghanistan after all!

Since Muslim sovereignty anywhere is illegitimate, why not?

Actually,  since  the Soviets are contemptible, supporting the mujahadin
so that there can be mutual slaughter is preferable.

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (10/23/84)

Martillo seems to have a capacity for hate that transends anything
his religion tells him.  To advocate a scorched earth policy for
West Germany, the enslavement of its population, and the leveling
of its industry only tells me that Martillo needs to see a head
shrinker to get the bugs out of his thinking.
T. C. Wheeler

jtc78@ihuxm.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) (10/23/84)

>>HEY! So it's alright for the Soviet Union to stay in Afghanistan after all!
>
> Since Muslim sovereignty anywhere is illegitimate, why not?
>
> Actually,  since  the Soviets are contemptible, supporting the mujahadin
> so that there can be mutual slaughter is preferable.

I would not applaud killings of people sent to death by their
contemptible leaders. Neither would I applaud killings of
people because thier ancestors established sovereignity that is
questionably legitimate.
In general I disapprove of killing of a person for somebody else's
sins, which is what a wholesale slaughter is all about.

But obviously Mr. Martillo was joking.

				Mike Cherepov

~

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (10/24/84)

> >> [The Israelis] can do what they damn well please with any territory they
> >> can hold by force of arms.
>
> >HEY! So it's alright for the Soviet Union to stay in Afghanistan after all!
>
> Since Muslim sovereignty anywhere is illegitimate, why not?
>
> Actually,  since  the Soviets are contemptible, supporting the mujahadin
> so that there can be mutual slaughter is preferable.

I've read several of your attacks on Moslems recently, but this one really
goes too far. You are exhibiting the worst of Zionism -- a blind hatred
of an entire religon, just the sort of thing that Jews had to fight for
several thousand years of their existence. Maybe it's a natural reaction
of a people who have been as oppressed as the Jews, but this sort of
attitude makes comparisons between some elements of Zionism today (like
you and Rabbi Kahane) and the Nazis seem not so far fetched.

	Wayne

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (10/29/84)

>> >HEY! So it's alright for the Soviet Union to stay in Afghanistan after all!

>> Since Muslim sovereignty anywhere is illegitimate, why not?
>>
>> Actually,  since  the Soviets are contemptible, supporting the mujahadin
>> so that there can be mutual slaughter is preferable.
>
>I've read several of your attacks on Moslems recently, but this one really
>goes too far. You are exhibiting the worst of Zionism -- a blind hatred
>of an entire religon, just the sort of thing that Jews had to fight for
>several thousand years of their existence. Maybe it's a natural reaction
>of a people who have been as oppressed as the Jews, but this sort of
>attitude makes comparisons between some elements of Zionism today (like
>you and Rabbi Kahane) and the Nazis seem not so far fetched.

I happen to be of the opinion that voting in an Israeli election may  be
forbidden  mide'oraita  (forbidden  by explicit biblical command).  I am
extremely anti-European Zionism which I consider to have picked up  some
very  evil  Western  ideas.   My  detestation of Islam is not blind.  My
family lived under Islamic rule until the fifties.  We would oppose  the
existence  of  Muslim  countries even if there had never been a state of
Israel.

I am familiar with the texts of Islam.  I read Arabic and keep  up  with
events   in   Muslim   countries.   By  the  standards  with  which  the
Enlightenment attacked Christianity, Islam is 1000 times worse.

The wrongness of Christian vilification of Judaism hardly  implies  that
other  religions  have  no  flaws.   I  consider  the devotion of 5/8 of
Islamic jurisprudence to the degradation and humiliation of  non-Muslims
a  very  serious  flaw  which  needs to be condemned in the most violent
terms possible especially because no `alim (Islamic scholar) is  willing
to concede that this emphasis might be some sort of tiny failing.

I  do  not  favor the expulsion of the Muslims from Israel.  At the very
least their presence might discourage the use of atomics against Israel.
I  do  think  they  should  not  vote  in  Israeli  elections.   I favor
negotiation with the PLO because I see no reason to distinguish  between
the  cut-throats in the PLO and the cut-throats in the Syrian government
(or any other Islamic government for that matter).

roy@eisx.UUCP (Steve Rojak) (11/02/84)

  |Very stupid of the US to get out of Germany, they just could have hold[sic]
  |it in 1945.

If you want a real shocker, we could have done better than that, from a power
point of view.

Germany actually surrendered to the West about a week before she surrendered
to the Russians.  We could have very easily used the Wehrmacht against the
SU.  At least it would have been easy as far as getting the Germans to
cooperate; whether our own country would have stood for it is another matter.
But there has been something out-to-lunch about our foreign policy since
1910.  We accuse the Russians of double-dealing and reneging on treaties.
Every nation-state with any sense does this.  But we want the world to like
us, or what?  They don't anyway.  The purpose of a foreign policy is to
carry out the ends of the nation.  These are necessary acquisitive and
detrimental to the ends of some of the other nations.

We have been historically been more interested in maintaining the status
quo at home than in making over the world so that we all had greater
opportunity.

Flame away, folks.
	eisx!roy