[net.politics] Say, WHAT?????

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (10/25/84)

[]
Today, one of, if not the, premier liberal voices in the USA called
for the censorship of the publicly expressed words of a public figure.

Who, and of what, you ask?

Why, it was Sen. Edward Kennedy, insisting that President Reagan
stop quoting JFK.

How's that again, Ted?  The first amemdment applies to conservative
Republican presidents too, in case you hadn't noticed.

Even when they're campaigning.

--
[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (10/29/84)

C'mon, Roy, there is a difference between censorship and criticism.

When Ted Kennedy says Reagan has no "right" to quote JFK, he means
that it is hypocritical for a man who criticized JFK's economic
policies as being dangerously close to Marxism and social policies as
reminding one of Hitler to exploit JFK's memory for his own
advancement.  He is not suggesting that Reagan ought to be forbidden
from saying such things, merely that he exercise his conscience a wee
bit and voluntarily desist.

					David Rubin

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (11/04/84)

In article <372@fisher.UUCP> david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) writes:
>C'mon, Roy, there is a difference between censorship and criticism.
>
>When Ted Kennedy says Reagan has no "right" to quote JFK, he means
>that it is hypocritical for a man who criticized JFK's economic
>policies as being dangerously close to Marxism and social policies as
>reminding one of Hitler to exploit JFK's memory for his own
>advancement.  He is not suggesting that Reagan ought to be forbidden
>from saying such things, merely that he exercise his conscience a wee
>bit and voluntarily desist.
>
>					David Rubin

	Well, he should have said so.  For a proud liberal to say
any citizen has "no right" to speak as he wills is heresy.

	Further points: Reagan's comments on JFK's *proposed* policies
are hardly less vitriolic than Mondale's on Reagan's.  And history
shows that JFK was in fact much closer to the ideals that Reagan and
I share than he appeared to be before his election, and than his
brother Teddy.  Reagan has expressed such, and I believe him. (I don't
always).

	What about Mr. Mondale's clever use of a Will Rogers quote
early in the Louisville debate?  A master stroke, but if one is supposed
to quote only those with whom one has philisophical agreement regarding
the matter at hand, then Mondale was a parsec or two out of line in
bringing in Will Rogers.

	Let's face it: the Mondale/liberal camp has a tough row to hoe,
both for the coming election and (most likely) the years to come.
Kennedy was a good, though imperfect president, who is remembered in a
somewhat glorified light because of the tragic nature of his death.
The Mondale campaign want JFK's great image all to itself, and that's
a false wish.