[net.politics] Nuclear War Casualties

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (10/15/84)

> Ok Tim, I have just about had it.  All this talk that a nuclear war
> would not leave survivors is pure BS!  You talk about Reagan stating
> thatover 50% of Soviet population would survive and you say this
> is ludicrous.  You are dead wrong.  Please show me some figures to support
> your claim!!!
> I want to see FACTS and NUMBERS!!!
>

> 					Milo

I'll give you some facts and numbers--currently the Soviet Union and
the United States have one million six hundred thousand times the
destructive power of the Hiroshima bomb.  Both sides have enough bombs
to target towns with a population of 15,000 people--these are NOT
big cities.  Even the smallest bombs in both arsenals are bigger than
the bomb dropped on Hiroshima (13 kilotons)--which did quite an effective
job of destroying a city of several hundred thousand. The Hiroshima bomb
would vaporize the typical town of 15,000 people.
Please face reality--this is no myth-yes, we CAN literally blow up the
world.  Whether this would definitely lead to extinction or not is open
to question--perhaps a few humans could somehow survive.  But most would not.
There are more effects than the Nuclear Winter effect to contend with--
a National Academy of Sciences study several years ago predicted that
full scale nuclear war would be very likely to destroy the ozone layer
which protects all life on this planet from damaging ultraviolet rays.
This is all documented in "The Fate of the Earth" by Jonathan Schell.
I would highly recommend reading this book if you have not already.
It is very difficult to read-it gets VERY depressing. Plus one gets the feeling
of overkill reading over and over just how destructive nuclear war would
actually be, based upon the studies by the Office of Technology Assessment,
the National Academy of Sciences , and other studies.
The first response of people with fatal illnesses is almost always to deny
that they will really die--such is the natural response of people like
yourself--to deny that extinction is possible. Unfortunately it is possible
and probable in an allout nuclear war.  Now what do we do about it?
Tim Sevener
whuxl!orb  Bell Labs, Whippany

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (10/19/84)

!*FLAME ON*!

Good grief!!!  Is that the kind of analysis you are using???!!

That is ludicrous!  You are assuming that you can distribute
overpressure without regard for the non-linearity of blast.
You say, well 1 hiroshima bomb killed x people, then 15000 hiroshima
equivilents will kill 15000x people!  Thats pure garbage!  Didnt
you ever take a physics course?  The important thing to realize when
calculating casualty figures is population density.  The fact that
the soviet union is not nearly as urbanized as the US makes an
extraordinary difference.  This is the same type of mush-thinking
that characterizes people who are motivated by hysterical emotion
and no facts.  I think any person who can possesses a crude form
of logic can see thru your argument.

This entire argument about blowing up the world must be some form
of Soviet disinformation.  It has no relation to reality at all.
Again, if anyone can support the claim about be able to blow up
the world x times over, using scientific data, I'd be glad to
know about it, and the reason they havent told anyone in
the trade about it.

*flame off*

About Nuclear Winter.  I have looked at the report and talked to
some of its principles.  Its an interesting paper.  But there must
be a lot more work done before it can even be considered as a part
of national policy considerations.  Work is presently going on at LLL
and at several other sites to see if its viable enough to be taken
very seriously, and also to determine what threshold of nuclear
exchange would trigger such a reaction.  But that is not something
I'd be willing to believe the Soviets believe.  There are many scientists
who think its bogus.  I will wait and see.  As I said, I've worked
on simulation stuff myself, and you have to make lots of assumptions
about the environment for forming a model.  All those assumptions
may not be true.

				Milo

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (10/19/84)

> Good grief!!!  Is that the kind of analysis you are using???!!
>
> That is ludicrous!  You are assuming that you can distribute
> overpressure without regard for the non-linearity of blast.
> You say, well 1 hiroshima bomb killed x people, then 15000 hiroshima
> equivilents will kill 15000x people!  Thats pure garbage!  Didnt
> you ever take a physics course?
>
> 				Milo

Milo, I am not talking about 15000 Hiroshima equivalents, the figure is
one million six hundred thousand.  That is one hundred times the figure
you are citing.  Please get your figures straight.
We are also talking about the targeting of every city and town of 15,000
people or more in both countries.  Hiroshima with several hundred thousand
people was thoroughly devastated.  What would an equivalent bomb do to
"Small town ,USA" or "Small town, USSR"?
Please refrain from hystericism-- I realize it is a shock to realize that
the human race is seriously in danger of being extinguished.  But do not
try to deny this reality. We have to do something about it, not pretend
that we can "hide behind lilac bushes " and survive as Gen. Graham, one
of Reagan's advisers claimed.
If you are not convinced by the blast effects I can post more excerpts
from "Fate of the Earth" about the effects on the ozone layer, radioactive
effects, etc.  Please be reasonable.
   Peace, before it's too late!
Tim Sevener  whuxl!orb

phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) (10/20/84)

       "It were indeed to be wished that our art had been less in-
	geneous, in contriving means destructive to mankind;  we
	mean those instruments of war, which were unknown to the
	ancients, and have made such havoc among the moderns.  But
	as men have always been bent on seeking each other's des-
	truction by continual wars; and as force, when brought
	against us, can only be repelled by force; the chief sup-
	port of war, must, after money, be now sought in chemistry.
	...God grant that mortal men may not be so ingenious at
	their own cost, as to pervert a profitable science any
	longer to such horrible uses."

					- Boerhaave, "A New Method of Chemistry"
					  Leiden, 1732
					  (Referring to Berthold Schwarz's exp-
					   eriments with black powder ca. 1250)

        [Then human race was destroyed when].."intelligent, educated
	men decided they could maintain the peace by building weapons
	whose power they could not comprehend and whose use they could
	not cdontrol."

					- Shute, "On the Beach", ca 1950
					  (Misquoted, but the sense is there)

medin@ucbvax.UUCP (10/22/84)

Date: Mon, 22-Oct-84 13:33:20 EDT

x.ARPA> <294@whuxl.UUCP>

The number 15000 was an arbitrary number, my point is thats its not
a constant.  Things are much more complicted than that.  I do not
take the ozone argument seriously.  I have talked to Teller about
this myself, and he mentioned that the ozone mechanism is a
system in equilibrium, and that when stress is applied, it
will respond to remove that stress.  He said that ozone might
drop 30-40% but then rebound with time.  I have little respect
for J. Schell's fate of the earth science.  I want some hard
numbers.  Like a study conducted by RAND or LLNL or LBL, some
scientists who undertook a scientific study and got some supportable
results.  I have heard of no such study that talks about having
'enough to blow up the world 12 times over'.  Its a little like
arguments against reprocessing nuclear waste.  That theres enough
plutonium in there to kill everyone in the US.  Sure, but theres
no way you can distribute it like that.  The same is true about
nuclear weapons.  You just cant distribute blast to every person
in the countryside.  The laws of physics say thats impossible.

I would encourage you to read a book called 'The Effects of Nuclear
Weapons', published in '77 by ERDA.  Its full of facts, not fantasises.
And it has real weapons data from tests in it.  Now, I dare you
to show me how you can blow up the world from that.  Give me someone
respectable, I'll even take Dick Garwin, how about that?

About Gen. Grahm.  I have talked to him and I know he doesnt
buy the blow up the world nonsense either.  You are quoting him
about sticking your head in the sand, bbut he was I believe talking
about the need for an ABM at the time.  But I will grant you, the US
will be virtually destroyed following a countervalue strike.  My
point is that the Soviet Union will not.  I'm not arguing for
a survivalist mentality, just trying to point out that for the
Soviets, winning a nuclear war, even if it required taking pop.
damage, it would still survive with a large majority of its people
surviving.

I am looking forward to your citing of REAL, HARD, DATA.

Hysteria is when people act without rationality or support from
reality.  Thats exactly what you are doing, tho I will grant you
you are by no means alone.

					Milo

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (10/22/84)

[...]

'Hi kids, its playtime!'  -- BOZO the clown.

That has about the same validity of the quotes you cited.

					Milo

phl@drusd.UUCP (LavettePH) (10/23/84)

>>..................................  I have talked to Teller about
>>this myself, and he mentioned that ..............................
>>..........................................  I want some hard
>>numbers.  Like a study conducted by RAND or LLNL or LBL, some
>>scientists who undertook a scientific study and got some supportable
>>results.......................................................
>>I would encourage you to read a book called 'The Effects of Nuclear
>>Weapons', published in '77 by ERDA.  Its full of facts, not fantasises.
>>
>>					Milo

Aw! Come on, Milo!  These are all people with a vested interest in escalating
the balance-of-terror.  Their paychecks depend on maintaining the status quo.

- Phil Lavette

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (10/29/84)

OK, well who else should know?  Not all work on Nuclear weapons design.
And even among those who do there is considerable disagreement over
many issues.  But They all pretty much agree on a few low level
conclusions.  If they didnt, they'd look like fools. It's easy to see
when to look at the numbers and know what the numbers mean.  We dont
have a lot of fools in the business.  We do have quite a few on the
net, where disproval is a bit harder.  You think it funny if someone
told you an 8080 did 80 megaflops.  I feel the same way when I hear
this 'blow up the world X times' nonsense.

					Milo

david@randvax.UUCP (David Shlapak) (11/01/84)

----------
>>..................................  I have talked to Teller about
>>this myself, and he mentioned that ..............................
>>..........................................  I want some hard
>>numbers.  Like a study conducted by RAND or LLNL or LBL, some
>>scientists who undertook a scientific study and got some supportable
>>results.......................................................
>>I would encourage you to read a book called 'The Effects of Nuclear
>>Weapons', published in '77 by ERDA.  Its full of facts, not fantasises.
>>
>>					Milo

>Aw! Come on, Milo!  These are all people with a vested interest in escalating
>the balance-of-terror.  Their paychecks depend on maintaining the status quo.
>
>- Phil Lavette

    Of all the things that disgust me about the nuclear arms "debate" I
    think this unwillingness to concede expertise is the most sickening.
    Sure, Phil, and doctors make their money off disease, which is why they
    poison water supplies and release starved plague-carrying rats in the
    midst of large crowds...and without crime there'd be no cops, so
    policemen have a "vested interest" in seeing more and more murder and
    mayhem in our streets...ditto for attorneys...

    I'm sorry to be snide, folks, but I spend more time every day thinking
    about these issues than just about any of you have in your lifetime...
    I've read more, written more, discussed more, and yes, am better
    qualified to say what's right or at least what's a good guess.  Hate to
    burst your egalitarian bubble like this, but facts is facts.

    To paraphrase Richard Pipes, people who wouldn't dream of giving a
    cordon bleu chef advice on making a Hollandaise seem to think nothing
    of instructing professionals in the complex and arcane area of
    strategic policy and arms control.  Well, I wish that the world were as
    easy and simple as many of you out there seem to think it
    is...unfortunately, unlike Never-Never land, wishing doesn't make it
    so...

    I'm also extremely resentful of the self-righteousness displayed in
    many postings...what, do you think that we "chronic war-preparers"
    don't have husbands, wives, children, and puppies???  We're doing what
    we think is right...Do you think we do our jobs without consideration
    of the moral considerations involved (or, perhaps more to the point,
    the awful consequences should we fail in our task)?  Sheesh, from
    reading this net you'd think that the only "thinking" people in the
    world are computer science undergrads!

    I've frankly had it with being talked down to by people who, from all
    indications, aren't qualified to even whisper about the topics upon
    which they pontificate with such certainty and moral superiority.  I'm
    tired of being told my hard-earned skills and knowledge are worthless
    because the issues involved are "too important" to be decided upon by a
    "nuclear priesthood." Well, historically, there have been two ways of
    winning converts from priests: one is to present an alternative
    theology which, in the "free market of ideas" achieves dominance...the
    other is to burn the offending priests at the stake...

    Need I even specify into which category pieces like Phil Lavette's
    above fall into?

						--- das

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (11/07/84)

Well stated and my sentiments exactly.