[net.politics] A Vote for Mondale

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (10/21/84)

I like Reagan's willingness  to  give  howling  3rd  world  savages  the
ass-kicking  they deserve. I like Reagan's willingness to speak the only
language which the Soviets understand -- force (and no little Amy, there
has  not  been a nuclear war).  The economy is better than under Carter.
The nation seems more confident although I do  not  think  the  USA  has
regained respect on the world scene.

But  Reagan  is  letting  the environment get really messed up.  And the
political issues are ephemeral while the planet is permanent.  Therefor,
I am voting for Mondale.

By  the  way,  isn't  it  amusing,  that in terms of deficit spending to
stimulate the economy Reagan is the most democrat president ever.

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (10/23/84)

In article <52@mit-athena.ARPA> martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) writes:
>...isn't  it  amusing,  that in terms of deficit spending to
>stimulate the economy Reagan is the most democrat president ever.

No, it isn't amusing; it's incorrect.  Reagan is not maintaining high
spending levels to "stimulate the economy", he is unable to get the
spending cuts he has requested, given the political realities of the
federal government.  If you want evidence, please refer to my previous
postings regarding the line-item veto, and TEFRA, and other examples
of the Congress protecting the spending structure it has evolved over
the years.

--
[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (10/25/84)

>...I like Reagan's willingness to speak the only
>language which the Soviets understand -- force (and no little Amy, there
>has  not  been a nuclear war).

Reagan is certainly willing to speak---but not to act.  Carter took
what were unpopular political measures in order to cause the Soviets
discomfort---the grain embargo and the Olympic boycott, for example.
Reagan does nothing but talk, and talk is cheap.  (Some talk can be
expensive, such as Reagan's suggestion that Star Wars technology be
given to the Soviets if it is developed.  Does he not realize that the
technology of the thing would likey be applicable to other weapons?)

>The economy is better than under Carter.

If you mean expansion of the economy, you're wrong: while Reagan
proudly boasts of the six million jobs in the last 21 months, he
neglects the nearly one million that were lost in 1981-1982, and that
the Carter administration created TEN million jobs over its four year
tenure.  As for inflation, it isn't Reagan fiscal policy that has done
us good there, but rather the Fed's tight monetary policy (which those
true to the supply-side faith roundly denounce).  And as for the
future, interest rates are not going to come down until the
government reduces its demand in the money markets.  So long as
interest rates remain high, industry does not modernize, and we will
suffer competitive disadvantage on world markets in the long-run.

It's been a good year and a half, but not a good three years, and
there is sound reason to believe the expansion may not last much
longer.  The trade inbalance is a warning that we need to modernize
NOW, but investment is down under Reagan.

>The nation seems more confident although I do  not  think  the  USA  has
>regained respect on the world scene.

Agreed. Reagan has sold most Americans on the idea that we are
"standing tall", though the rest of the world, Moscow included, judges
us by our actions (or lack thereof), and are immune to the President's
image making.

>But  Reagan  is  letting  the environment get really messed up.  And the
>political issues are ephemeral while the planet is permanent.  Therefor,
>I am voting for Mondale.

Reagan's neglect of the environment is part of a consistent pattern of
taxing the next generation for the pleasure of this one.  Someone's
going to have to pay for the debt, the growing actuarial inbalance in
Social Security (which neither party will touch until they must), and
the clean-up of toxic wastes.  My generation.  Those who vote now are
to be rewarded by exploiting the land for commercial advantage, while the
losses of them are felt most keenly by those who follow.  Hey,
America, how about more than lip service to the principle of "no
taxation without representation"?

>By  the  way,  isn't  it  amusing,  that in terms of deficit spending to
>stimulate the economy Reagan is the most democrat president ever.

It's more than amusing, it's incredible.  Reagan runs deficits of 180
billion dollars (now that's REAL money), a deficit which his budget
REQUESTED, and then asks for a balanced budget amendment.  Nixon said
that we're all Keynsians now, but I thought Keynes was talking about
deficit spending during recessions.  I think supply-siders read only
the "good parts" of Keynes...

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (10/26/84)

Ahh, Ray blames Congress for the deficits.  Ray, hear this: in the
last fiscal year, Congress appropriated FIVE billion dollars more than
Reagan requested.  Out of 175 billion, that's less than 3% of the
deficit.  Reagan gets the credit for the other 97%...

					David Rubin

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (10/29/84)

Back to the drawing board Dave.  Congress increased the budget
by one heck of a lot more than 5 Billion.  The 5 B was only
attached to the Defense budget for Home terrritory pork barrel
items.  The increases (don't have figures at finger tips) came
in the areas of social services and public works.

By the way, Mondale keeps saying the RR CUT social services.  He
is flapping his jaws at the wind.  The cuts came in the amount of
increase to the budget, not a a decrease in the amount being spent.
That is, if the increase to a service was supposed to be 10% more
than the previous limit, the increase was cut to 8%.  Thus, the
actual spending went UP by 8%.  Mondale seems to fail in telling
the folks the real truth.  In every case, more money was spent on a
program, not less.  Sure, some folks lost their eligibility, but
I don't think we should be shelling out money to support abuses to
the system such as some students who could well afford to pay
their own way instead of letting everyone else foot the bill.
T. C. Wheeler

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (10/30/84)

TC, you got the facts wrong.  True, a bipartisan coalition increased
social program funding by more than 5 billion, but also trimmed enough off
Reagan's proposed 14% defense increase so that Congress appropriated
only 5 (count 'em) billion dollars more than Reagan requested overall.
Now, Reagan may beef that Congress spent the money on the WRONG
things, but not because they spent too MUCH.  Reagan's original budget
called for the same tax levels and only five billion less on spending.
Thus, Reagan, had he had his way, would have reduced the whopping 180
billion dollar deficit to a mere 175 billion.

As far as Reagan increasing social spending in real terms, this is
true, but only because the Senate Republicans forced him to abandon
some of his more dramatic proposed cuts.  However, many programs,
especially those targeted towards children (after all, they can't
vote), have suffered real cuts.  It is ironic that the Reagan
administration is most avid about cutting those programs which are
among the few which may actually be working as hoped.

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (10/30/84)

In article <370@fisher.UUCP> david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) writes:
>Ahh, Ray blames Congress for the deficits.  Ray, hear this: in the
>last fiscal year, Congress appropriated FIVE billion dollars more than
>Reagan requested.  Out of 175 billion, that's less than 3% of the
>deficit.  Reagan gets the credit for the other 97%...

     Hi Dave,

     Actually, I'm not referring to just the most recent  fiscal  year;  I'm
talking  about five decades (the last two in particular) of expanding social
engineering, income redistribution, pork-barrel,  and  unnecessary  military
spending  that  have  become part of the Washington landscape. You and I and
Reagan are all aware that dismantling  this  seemingly  fixed  structure  of
spending  programs  is  more  than  can  be  accomplished in one or even two
presidential terms, even if Uncle Tip and his flock were not blocking  every
effort to do so.

     The amounts spent by government for  correcting  social  ills,  whether
considered  as  absolute sums or as percentages of GNP or other indices, are
staggering. The problem is, these programs are only marginally effective  at
their intended purpose, and the wrong people are benefitting from them. Com-
pare the levels of social spending  to,  say,  JFK's  era.   The  degree  of
increase since then is enormous, but the percentage of the population in the
grip of poverty is only moderately improved.

     I am not opposed to programs to help the poor, infirm and elderly,  but
I think that I can demand that they be cost-effective. There would be little
or no deficit if the programs we currently have cost only  as  much  as  the
benefit  they  are  providing.  Any scientist knows that when you perform an
experiment enough times, in enough different ways, and it doesn't work,  you
have  to rule your theories invalid and look elsewhere.  The theory that the
government can cure  poverty,  disease  and  social  injustice  by  spending
everyone's  money is just such a failed premise.  This is not an attitude of
greed, just reality.

     Reagan cut taxes to a level somewhat closer to the maximum that  anyone
should ever have to pay for the benefits of government. That spending levels
are still high enough that these tax level cannot cover them means only  one
thing:  spending  is  too  high  (I'm  not excluding the military here BTW).
THAT'S where the deficit comes from.
--
[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard

ix127@sdcc6.UUCP (ix127) (10/31/84)

Ray,

I think that the point David was making was that despite all
of his budget-cutting rhetoric, Reagan doesn't have the
huevos to take a real meat-ax to social spending. Maybe you
should vote for someone who is more right-wing than Reagan.

John "Don't blame me; I voted for Mondale" Mercer @ UCSD Biology

clt@pur-phy.UUCP (Carrick Talmadge) (11/01/84)

["All of you people of Earth are idiots."]

>If you mean expansion of the economy, you're wrong: while Reagan
>proudly boasts of the six million jobs in the last 21 months, he
>neglects the nearly one million that were lost in 1981-1982, and that
>the Carter administration created TEN million jobs over its four year
>tenure.  As for inflation, it isn't Reagan fiscal policy that has done
>us good there, but rather the Fed's tight monetary policy [...]

Don't you consider that you're perhaps being a bit hypocritical by

  (1) blaming Reagan for a economic mess which he inherited upon entering
      the office in January 1981? (Remember double digit inflation, double
      digit unemployment, and double digit interest rates which occured,
      by the way, under a goverment totally controlled by the Democrats...)

while

  (2) not giving any credit to the subsequent recovery to Reagan, but rather
      the Federal Reserve?

On another point, while it is true that we are facing a record trade
deficit, according to a local newspaper (which quotes as it's source
the US Chamber of Commerce), the US is the largest exporter of goods in
the world at 12.5%.  You can't even say the US has "lost ground", as
our share of the world market has increased during the last five years
from 12.2% of the total market share. As for Reagan being the primary
culprit of the budget deficits, since you gave the Federal Reserve the
credit for having the current high interest rates, why not (at least
partially) blame the Fed?  Anyway, I'm not at all convinced that the
Congress shouldn't bear the brunt of the blame in this matter.

I am not exactly pleased myself with Reagan's performance, but
long-winded diatribes against Reagan only serve to convince me that
there is nothing really positive that anyone can think of to say about
Mondale, so they have to drum up things to say against Reagan.  Given
the stigma attached to Mondale as having been associated with the Jimmy
"We'll have to learn to live with less" Carter administration, I'd have
to say the articles appearing on the net lately seem to have more of a
quality of "Let's vote for Mondale 'cause he's a Democrat", than let's
vote for Mondale because of his qualifications (and no, I don't count
"Not being Reagan" much of a qualification).  Personally, I'm voting
for Reagan because he's not Mondale!  (Bring on Gary Hart!)

Carrick Talmadge
Physics Department
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN  47096

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,harpo,allegra,inuxc,seismo,teklabs}!pur-ee!Physics:clt
INTERNET:       clt @ pur-phy.UUCP

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (11/06/84)

The economy Reagan "inherited" (maybe the right word: the GOP seems to
consider it their personal property) was one formed under 8 years of
government "totally" controlled by the GOP (remember messrs Nixon &
Ford?) during probably its "formative" years: the Oil Embargo & the
rise of OPEC, the end of US fighting & the beginning of taxpayer
paying for the massive cost of the Indochina War, the steady inflation
since Nixon's first term, etc.  4 years isn't a magic number for busi-
ness cycles or economic "laws".

Reagan's only signifigant economic contribution, "Reaganomics" (which
many economists & observers believe he'll attempt to revive if he wins
big on Tuesday), was ABANDONED & considered a joke by the beginning of
Reagan's second year.  The Reagan administration's two key "movers &
shakers", David Stockman & Paul Voelker, alternated between publically
defying or simply utterly ignoring Reagan (usually the latter).  Odd
enough for a Republican politician, Reagan's an economic idiot.  I
think a lot of people are voting for Reagan because they want a Calvin
Coolidge 1984-style, a flagrant figurehead.

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (11/07/84)

In article <1105@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>Reagan's only signifigant economic contribution, "Reaganomics" (which
>many economists & observers believe he'll attempt to revive if he wins
>big on Tuesday), was ABANDONED & considered a joke by the beginning of
>Reagan's second year.

	Absolutely false.  The fundamental principles of "Reaganomics":
tax and spending cuts (or at lease, cuts in scheduled spending increases),
business incentives, reduced regulation, and controlled monetary growth,
all were realizeed to some degree or other.  The tax and spending growth
cuts were hardly "abandoned", since the voices of liberalism have been
bemoaning them ever since, especially in this campaign.

>The Reagan administration's two key "movers &
>shakers", David Stockman & Paul Voelker, alternated between publically
>defying or simply utterly ignoring Reagan (usually the latter).

	1) No administration is a homogenous body.  Thank God Reagan
surrounded himself with thinkers, instead of "yes-men".
	2) Paul Volcker is not part of the administration - the Federal
Reserve Board is autonomous, and quasi-private.

	Anyway, it's not at all surprising to see people in these positions
developing a fetish for one aspect of the economy or another.  There are
the deficit-fearers, the interest-rate-fearers, the inflation-fearers,
the trade-deficit-fearers, and on and on.  Reagan has shown an admirable
ability to keep his eye on the big picture, and not let one small element
of his policy blind him to other important factors.

>...I
>think a lot of people are voting for Reagan because they want a Calvin
>Coolidge 1984-style, a flagrant figurehead.

	Nobody I know, and I know a lot of Reagan supporters.

--
[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (11/08/84)

In article <>  Ray Simard  reminds me of one of my bits of uneasiness:

>	1) No administration is a homogenous body.  Thank God Reagan
>surrounded himself with thinkers, instead of "yes-men".

In some ways, that's what bothers me. RR's right-wing "kitchen cabinet" pals
(anyone want to bet on how long it'll take the *real* right to back off of
George Bush. Even RR was a bit of a disappointment). The masses didn't vote
for the people who make the *real* decisions. This, of course, depends upon
whether or not you believe that Reagan is *really* making the decisions. Or
*really* in control.
>Reagan has shown an admirable
>ability to keep his eye on the big picture, and not let one small element
>of his policy blind him to other important factors.

I'd refer to the nice back to back summaries on the grounds upon which
foreign policy decisions are made from the last debate. "evil empire" and
"commies or totalitarians" vs. the more complex (that sort of thinking just
doesn't sway the voters....) business of a foreign policy that assumes a
certain knowledge of the unique history, politics, climate etc. of the area,
and a genuine concern for the people involved. THat must not be the big picture
we're talking about.
>>.I
>>think a lot of people are voting for Reagan because they want a Calvin
>>Coolidge 1984-style, a flagrant figurehead.
>
>	Nobody I know, and I know a lot of Reagan supporters.

I guess that I must agree with Ray here. I would say that a fair amount of
Reagan's support stems rather from a normal desire to believe that the world
is *not* a complex and scary place. RR did a really nice job of suggesting all
along the way that those parts of our life that seem out of our control
(everything from our jobs to what we do about the Libyans) haven't changed
due to the times or the fact that the world is a different place, but because
we've been lead astray. The present can be a mirror of some glorious past
if we just (insert the campaign promise here).

In the end, I must say that I think that that's a pleasant fiction, with the
sort of appeal that would nearly guarantee victory to anyone who'd try it.
Nor,  do we point out, is RR alone in its use. It's a common tactic. I tend
to be easily swayed by it myself. So do you, if you're honest. It's a common
tactic for dealing with anxiety (the other is to live entirely in the present,
and project the future as a linear development of the present. CUt your slice
of the present thin, and this works well, too).

BUt it's a cruel and contemptible lie *wherever* it come from ( LEFT or RIGHT,
RICH or POOR, THE PULPIT or the SOAPBOX-no favorites). And it damages both the
person who believes and follows it as well as the persons affected by the
decisions made by anyone who holds it. That's what's *really* ugly about it.

During the seventies, I thought that the "New Left" pretty much had the market
cornered for this sort of stuff...and wound up looking too far right. I'm
somewhat bemused to find that the New RIght does it better. But now I'm a
Communist sympathizer, prophet of pessimism, or worse. And I didn't even move.