[net.politics] RReaganites Circumvent Campaign Spending Law

rrizzo@bbncca.UUCP (11/05/84)

According to reports (Boston Sunday Globe, 11/4/84), conservative
organizations spent at least $18 million on Reagan's re-election
"in what are called independent expenditures that circumvent fed-
eral spending limits" dictated by campaign funding reform laws.

They also deliberately confuse the issue by giving themselves
officially-sounding titles to connect them in donors' minds
with the GOP & its campaign organization.  Title like the follow-
ing proliferate:

	Voters for Reagan
	Americans for Reagan
	Women for Reagan
	Americans to Reelect President Reagan
	Citizens for Reagan in '84
	American Heroes for Reagan
	Taxpayers for Reagan
	Americans for Reagan in '84
	Christians for Reagan
	etc.

					Cheers,
					Ron Rizzo

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (11/06/84)

And I suppose the Mondale camp didn't have special groups?
Wake up Rizzo, get on the train.  I could name just as many
silly names for Mondale without even going into all of the
PAC committees for Mondale.
T. C. Wheeler

robertsb@ttidcb.UUCP (Robin Roberts) (11/06/84)

You need to watch out here, guy. I seem to recall Mondale getting called
rather early on this one himself by Gary Hart and for quite a bit more
money!

Don't try to tell me that Mondale is more honest, I know better and so does
everyone here. At least Reagan sounded like Reagan in the campaign, while
Mondale started parroting Reagan until he realized no one is buying it.

People who feel a need to scream the big lie day after day obviously know it
to be a big lie.

--

    Robin D. Roberts                     (213) 450 9111 x 2916
    TTI     Zone V4                     aka Buskirk the Valerian

 UUCP: ..!ucbvax!ihnp4!vortex!ttidca!ttidcb!robertsb
 or  {cadovax,flick,philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex,wtux2}!ttidca!ttidcb!robertsb
 or   ttidca!ttidcb!robertsb@RAND-UNIX.ARPA

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (11/09/84)

In article <1104@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>According to reports (Boston Sunday Globe, 11/4/84), conservative
>organizations spent at least $18 million on Reagan's re-election
>"in what are called independent expenditures that circumvent fed-
>eral spending limits" dictated by campaign funding reform laws.

They are called independent because they are;  you can spend the money only
if you are not consulting with the candidate/campaign you are supporting.
This is because of the 1st amendment, Ron.  If you got a chance to watch
the edition of "The Constitution:  That Delicate Balance" which PBS carried
about a week before the election, you'd have seen a discussion of this very
point by people like John Anderson and Terry Dolan (fundraiser for conservative
causes).  One of the most interesting statements at the end came from Dave
Broder, who can hardly be said to be sympathetic to Reagan's re-election
effort.  A number of the speakers wanted more restrictive laws governing
all forms of political advertising.  Broder stated that (1)  it is clear
that restricting how you spend your money affects your ability to
exercise your right of free speech, and (2) "I am appalled at how many
supposedly liberal people are in this room suggesting just that."
(this is a paraphrase, but close).
	Jeff Greenfield, (again, hardly a Reaganite:  he got his start writing
speeches for Bobby Kennedy) has also condemned the hypocrisy of laws
which ultimately prevent a candidate from getting his/her message across
by restricting the ability to pay for its broadcast.  In fact, in his
book "The Real Campaign" (about the 1980 elections) he suggests that
the effective political ads are often at least as good a source of
information to the voter as TV news (and that's where the average
voter gets info;  National Review & The New Republic may be better
partisan sources, but they do not have a major effect on the voters).

	As to your second comment :

>They also deliberately confuse the issue by giving themselves
>officially-sounding titles to connect them in donors' minds
>with the GOP & its campaign organization.  Title like the follow-
>ing proliferate:
>	Voters for Reagan 	Americans for Reagan 	Women for Reagan
>	Americans to Reelect President Reagan 	Citizens for Reagan in '84
>	American Heroes for Reagan 	Taxpayers for Reagan
>	Americans for Reagan in '84 	Christians for Reagan 	etc.
>
>					Ron Rizzo

I do not understand what your objection to this is.  Should they
call themselves "Voters For Mondale"?  Locally, two anti-Reagan
groups are "Women Against Reagan" and "The Macho Nerds for Reagan".

Sometimes your postings are to the point and interesting;  the
one on "Reagan's Homophobic Career", for example.

Others are to the point, although I am appalled by the views you
express:  for example: your series on the Dartmouth Review, where
you seemed to feel that it was a good thing to harass
a newspaper out of existence because you disagreed with its views
(you received enough flames in re this article that I don't think
I'm being unfair in summarizing the original posting this way;
I realize that you posted a number of followups where you tried
to explain what you meant, and where your views did not sound
so extreme.  But I still have my reaction to the 1st posting.)

And finally, some of your postings don't seem to have any point
outside of a reaction to Reagan.  This one, for example.

PACS and independent interest groups exist throughout the political
spectrum, and are inevitable given (1) our current campaign finance
laws, and (2) the Constitution.  Liberal causes can have them, too;
for example, Fritz Mondale certainly got extensive backing from the
labor unions (Gary Hart was objecting to this...);  and Norman
Lear is running the liberal equivalent of NCCPAC (Dolan's group).
So WHY should you care that there are private groups spending money
on Reagan's reelection in particular?  It is quite legal;  and it is
available to any group in the political process. Really, why?

--

Well, after you've eliminated Social Security and started World
War III, what else is there to do?  -- Ronny the Stand-up Comic,

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (11/09/84)

Mr. Wheeler:  You can name names?  Go ahead!  & how much money
did they raise for Mondale?