[net.politics] Read this book!

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (11/05/84)

J. Peter Grace has written a book called

	BURNING MONEY

It describes in detail how horrifyingly effective the
Federal government is at taking YOUR money and throwing
it down the drain.  For example:

	The Hospital Corporation of America (I may not have the name
	right) is a private profit-making company that builds hospitals.
	It has a staff of 50 and takes an average of two years to
	build a hospital.

	The part of the Veteran's Administration that builds
	hospitals has a staff of eight hundred (!) and takes
	seven years to build a hospital.

If you read this book, you will learn just how a $7 hammer costs
$436 when the Navy buys it.  You will also learn other things:

	Since 1945, per capita income has increased by a
	factor of 7.  Taxes have increased by a factor
	of more than 200.

	"Soaking the rich" won't work.  If the government
	decided to confiscate all income above $70,000 a year,
	that would increase revenues by $17 billion.  Big deal.

Taxes are now the largest budget item for most families.  It used
to be housing and food.

Oh yes.  The Federal government spends $40,000 a year for each
poor family in the US.  Why are there any poor people?

The author of this book is a registered Democrat.

mjk@tty3b.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (11/09/84)

Before you read the book Andy suggests, you should read "How To Lie With Statistics."
From Andy's summary of "Burning Money", it sounds like a useful primer.

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (11/19/84)

In article <525@tty3b.UUCP> mjk@tty3b.UUCP (Mike Kelly) writes:
>Before you read the book Andy suggests,
>you should read "How To Lie With Statistics."
>From Andy's summary of "Burning Money", it sounds like a useful primer.

	I may be wrong, but this looks to me like a perfect example of
a knee-jerk response in defense of a locked-up position.  If Andy's summary
of this or some other book had been aligned with your political
philosophies, I doubt very much that you'd suggest the association you do
above.

	My suggestion is to read the book first, and if you disagree
with its findings, refute them.  It casts a very poor light on your
other postings, past and future, to display such a willingness to reject
summarily this book's findings without doing your homework first.

	(Incidentally, at this moment, I'm about halfway through
"Burning Money".  I concur with Andy's assessment.)

--

[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard

...Though we may sometimes disagree,
   You are still a friend to me!