[net.politics] Vietnam Controversy

geb@cadre.UUCP (06/11/84)

> You are right.  there are those among us who refuse to admit that the
> "war was wrong."  Including me.
>
>The problem is that no-one has ever talked about the strategic reasons why we
>might have preferred that Indochina didn't become controlled by essentially
>hostile other countries.
>
>Had we won the Indochina war, there might very well have been SIX MILLION FEWER D
>FEWER DEATHS in Cambodia, and Thailand, a peaceful country itself, would
>not be fighting a prepetual border war against people FROM OUTSIDE THE
>COUNTRY ATTEMPTING CONQUEST BY FORCE.
>
>The chance to prevent this is in itself sufficient moral justification for
>the war.

One could argue that had the U.S. not conspired to prevent the democratic
election of Ho Chi Minh 30 years ago there would not have been a Viet
Nam War, neither all those deaths.  Arguing what might have been does
not retroactively justify criminal acts, however.  In my mind, when
Lyndon Johnson, having pledged not to, then within 9 months of his election
announced that American youths were to be sent, whether willing or not,
to die for someone else's country because of what LBJ thought was good
for the US, and when he deliberately falsified information (Gulf of Tonkin)
in order to trick congress (not that they are innocent) into giving the
green light to his war plans, he became a war criminal.  Whether or not
Viet Nam would have been better off if we had won does not expunge the
guilt or bring back the dead draftees.  If the war had been fought only
with volunteers, only with money contributed by those who approved the
goals (it looks like there are enough of you out there), then we might
listen to some arguments that it was justified, but as it was done,
it is immoral on its face.

martillo@ihuxt.UUCP (Yehoyaqim Martillo) (06/14/84)

There could have been no fair democratic election in which the Vietnamese
communists took part.  Ho Chi Minh never had more than minority support
among the Vietnamese people.  However the communists were willing to
brutalize the Vietnamese people in a way which was unacceptable to all
other Vietnamese factions.  This brutality gave them the strength to win.
Winning under such circumstances is hardly evidence of rightness or of
popular support.  The bolsheviks used the same technique.  The Greek
communists wanted to use the same technique at the end of WWII but
external intervention prevented them.  True the Greek governments have not
been so wonderful since then, but then again the Greeks have now and then
succeeded in replacing these governments.  Brutal communist regimes seem
to be impossible to replace.

--

                    Yehoyaqim Shemtob Martillo

         	 (An Equal Opportunity Offender)

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) (06/15/84)

--
>> There could have been no fair democratic election in which the
>> Vietnamese communists took part.  Ho Chi Minh never had more than
>> minority support among the Vietnamese people.  However the
>> communists were willing to brutalize the Vietnamese people in a
>> way which was unacceptable to all other Vietnamese factions.
>> This brutality gave them the strength to win...
>> Brutal communist regimes seem
>> to be impossible to replace.

>>                     Yehoyaqim Shemtob Martillo

I'd like to see some references.  I was under the impression
(dupe of the Commies that I must be) that Ho Chi Minh, a very
charismatic war hero, was really elected in a real, fair election--
before the CIA decided to contest it.  But whether he got in by
deceit or popularity, his totalitarianism was no better nor worse
than that practiced by our succession of puppets in the south.

Brutal regimes of the right AND left seem to be impossible to
replace--with democracy, anyway.  Both the US and USSR romp all
over the world, though, exchanging one for the other.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

jnc@iham1.UUCP (Jeff Coleman) (06/15/84)

From Yehoyaqim Martillo's note on the "Vietnam controversy":

>	There could have been no fair democratic election in which
>	the Vietnamese communists took part.  Ho Chi Minh never had
>	more than a minority support of the Vietnamese people.
>	However the communists were willing to brutalize the Vietnamese
>	people in a way which was unacceptable to all other Vietnamese
>	factions.  This brutality gave them the strength to win.

Don't let me confuse you with the facts, Mr. Martillo, but a CIA
estimate that Ho Chi Minh would garner 85% of the Vietnamese vote
in a free election was one of the reasons that the U.S. sabotaged
the 1956 elections called for by the 1954 Geneva Conference.
Well, perhaps 85% could be thought of as a very large minority.

Still, Yehoyaqim, you are more that justified in attacking the
"brutalities" of the Vietnamese communists, especially in light of
the humane and progressive actions of the U.S. government in
Vietnam.

At least our limited period of intervention in Vietnam allowed us
to provide some assistance to the Vietnamese people, in the form
of social services like the Pheonix program, the CIA-directed campaign
to assassinate Vietnamese who opposed U.S. plans to make Vietnam safe
for the Bank of America (60,000 Vietnamese assassinated. [1]).
And let's not forget the Agent Orange agricultural fertilization program!
Or the generous Vietnam landscaping project, in which the U.S. Air
Force, at the peak of its bombing activity, dumped the equivalent in
TNT tonnage of the Hiroshima A-bomb on Vietnam every 2 weeks!
Or Lt. William Calley's March, 1968 picnic outing at Mylai!

Next time, let's discuss the underwater navigational aids we've
installed for the Nicarauguans in their Pacific ports!

		Jeff Coleman

[1] Estimate by William Colby, CIA executive in charge of Pheonix.

lmaher@uokvax.UUCP (06/16/84)

#R:cadre:-23600:uokvax:5000093:000:386
uokvax!lmaher    Jun 16 00:52:00 1984

Regardless of what cadre!geb thinks, the act he cites of LBJ are not
war crimes.  There are specific clauses in international law and treaty
concerning what constitutes a war crime, and falsifying information and
breaking campaign promises are not classified as war crimes.

Sorry, geb.  But I do agree with your condemnation of LBJ, not that it
matters.

	Carl
	..!ctvax!uokvax!lmaher

martillo@ihuxt.UUCP (Yehoyaqim Martillo) (06/17/84)

>From Yehoyaqim Martillo's note on the "Vietnam controversy":

>>	There could have been no fair democratic election in which
>>	the Vietnamese communists took part.  Ho Chi Minh never had
>>	more than a minority support of the Vietnamese people.
>>	However the communists were willing to brutalize the Vietnamese
>>	people in a way which was unacceptable to all other Vietnamese
>>	factions.  This brutality gave them the strength to win.

>Don't let me confuse you with the facts, Mr. Martillo, but a CIA
>estimate that Ho Chi Minh would garner 85% of the Vietnamese vote
>in a free election was one of the reasons that the U.S. sabotaged
>the 1956 elections called for by the 1954 Geneva Conference.
>Well, perhaps 85% could be thought of as a very large minority.

I hope you also believe CIA statistics on communist subversion in Central
America.  I think very little of the CIA as an intelligence gathering
organization (consider Iran and the assasination of the Pope) and never
quote its statistics.  In any case, there is strong suspicion that the CIA
fabricated this statistic in order to scare the USA government into
intervening in East Asia.

Still, such a majority would have been possible
if Ho Chi Minh had been allowed to brutalize the peasantry as he intended.
In Paris he developed an ideology of something which translates as
"totalistic rejectionism."  This ideology held that French domination of
Vietnam had shown the failure of traditional Vietnamese Buddhist and
Confucian-influenced culture which therefore had to be totally rejected.
Since the majority of Vietnamese had not achieved the level of
enlightenment in totalitarian Marxist ideology, which he had acquired in
pre-WWII Paris, their opinion could be safely ignored or if necessary the
Vietnamese people could be brow-beaten into accepting "totalistic
rejectionism" of traditional Vietnamese culture.

Needless to say the majority of Vietnamese like the majority of Russians
several decades earlier had no great desire to see their society
overturned.  If elections could have been held without brutal-pressure
tactics (extremely unlikely), Ho Chi Minh would have been lucky to achieve
a small plurality.  He was not the only important political figure of the
resistance to the French.

If Ho Chi Minh had been unbelievably lucky and achieved the premiership
with a small plurality, he would like all twentieth century Western and
Westernized totalitarians (e.g. Hitler) used the available democratic
resources to wipe out the opposition and seize total control which could
never be overthrown through internal rebellion.

For this reason, rooting such political leaders out of East Asia and South
America is a completely justifiable goal of American policy.  The more
traditional dictatorships of these regions which have a concept of fair
play are generally much easier to overthrow when they excede their
legitimacy and try to extend their control to areas to which
non-totalitarian dictators have usually made no claim.  Unfortunately, the
success of the totalitarians in their own areas and in American public
opinion is teaching the traditional dictators and rulers much more
abominable behavior.

>Still, Yehoyaqim, you are more that justified in attacking the
>"brutalities" of the Vietnamese communists, especially in light of
>the humane and progressive actions of the U.S. government in
>Vietnam.

>At least our limited period of intervention in Vietnam allowed us
>to provide some assistance to the Vietnamese people, in the form
>of social services like the Pheonix program, the CIA-directed campaign
>to assassinate Vietnamese who opposed U.S. plans to make Vietnam safe
>for the Bank of America (60,000 Vietnamese assassinated. [1]).
>And let's not forget the Agent Orange agricultural fertilization program!
>Or the generous Vietnam landscaping project, in which the U.S. Air
>Force, at the peak of its bombing activity, dumped the equivalent in
>TNT tonnage of the Hiroshima A-bomb on Vietnam every 2 weeks!
>Or Lt. William Calley's March, 1968 picnic outing at Mylai!

>Next time, let's discuss the underwater navigational aids we've
>installed for the Nicarauguans in their Pacific ports!

With little difficulty, I can list equivalent brutalities of East Asian
communists for example like massacres of the tribal peoples (in which
US-backed ARVN forces never engaged) and yellow rain.  Many Americans have
the silly idea that war can be waged without brutality.

Compared to the East Asian communists, the USA army was a model of correct
and moral behavior.  The USA army at least theoretically believes in
accountability.  No communist army anywhere accepts this concept.  The
USA has also shown some understanding of fair play in treating conquered
enemies (in the case of Germany and Japan).  The Vietnamese communists
showed utterly gratuitous brutality in their treatment of the North
Vietnamese population in the 50's and in treatment of the South Vietnamese
and of Vietnamese Chinese and of tribal populations during the last two
decades.  The large numbers of refugees from communist Vietnam indicates
this brutality.

I have worked extensively with post-victory Vietnamese refugees,
Vietnamese, Chinese, and tribal and have yet to meet one who would have
to come to the USA if there had been no post-victory communist brutality
whose existence is now well-documented.  All refugees (except for some of
the Chinese) I have known stated they would immediately return to Vietnam
the day the communists were overthrown.

--

                    Yehoyaqim Shemtob Martillo

         	 (An Equal Opportunity Offender)

scw@cepu.UUCP (06/18/84)

In article <148@iham1.UUCP> jnc@iham1.UUCP writes:
[origional posting deleted]
>Still, Yehoyaqim, you are more that justified in attacking the
>"brutalities" of the Vietnamese communists, especially in light of
>the humane and progressive actions of the U.S. government in
>Vietnam.
>
>At least our limited period of intervention in Vietnam allowed us
>to provide some assistance to the Vietnamese people, in the form
>of social services like the Pheonix program, the CIA-directed campaign
>to assassinate Vietnamese who opposed U.S. plans to make Vietnam safe
>for the Bank of America (60,000 Vietnamese assassinated. [1]).

Of course the VC/NVA never assinated anyone right? Hmmm, wonder who murdered
those 2500 people in Hue during Tet of '68 then? and how about all those
Hamlet/Villiage chiefs?

>And let's not forget the Agent Orange agricultural fertilization program!

On this we are in total agreement.

>Or the generous Vietnam landscaping project, in which the U.S. Air
>Force, at the peak of its bombing activity, dumped the equivalent in
>TNT tonnage of the Hiroshima A-bomb on Vietnam every 2 weeks!

I remember walking through an area that had been bombed about 18 months
before, the only way that you could tell where the bombs had landed was this
circle (about 40' across) of taller (read flourshing) rice.

>Or Lt. William Calley's March, 1968 picnic outing at Mylai!

For which he was charged with Murder (any only got off through a travisty
of justice, he, his company commander and that Brigade commander flying around
in that Helecopter should have been shot). But see coment *-3 above, I'll bet
that not one of the 'HEROS of the REVOLUTION (or whatever they're called)'
that were invloved in that has been even charged for the deaths of those
people (Oh, sorry I forgot that they were enemys of the People, and deserved
to be dragged out into a rice paddy and shot).

>Next time, let's discuss the underwater navigational aids we've
>installed for the Nicarauguans in their Pacific ports!
>
>		Jeff Coleman
>
>[1] Estimate by William Colby, CIA executive in charge of Pheonix.

--
Stephen C. Woods (VA Wadsworth Med Ctr./UCLA Dept. of Neurology)
uucp:	{ {ihnp4, uiucdcs}!bradley, hao, trwrb, sdcsvax!bmcg}!cepu!scw

jhull@spp2.UUCP (11/21/84)

In article <588@ihuxt.UUCP> martillo@ihuxt.UUCP writes:
>Compared to the East Asian communists, the USA army was a model of correct
>and moral behavior.

True.  One of the most effective interrogation techniques the Rangers
and Green Berets had was to threaten to turn the prisoner over to the
ROK's (Korean Army).

--
					Blessed Be,

 jhull@spp2.UUCP			Jeff Hull