[net.politics] Government, who is it for?

acton@ubc-cs.UUCP (Donald Acton) (11/20/84)

  Last night while listening to a radio station the results of poll on the
following question were given:

       Is government run for the benefit of all?

The poll was taken in the US and 40% of the people replied yes, 49% no, and
the rest were undecided or would not answer. The poll claimed to be accurate
to within 2% (sample size 1798) 95% (I think) of the time. My personal opinion
on this is no, government is not run for the benefit of all. My reasoning is
that some of the things that are of benefit to me are definitely not of benefit
to others therefore the government can't be run for the benefit of all. My
question is "If government is not run for the benefit of all then who is
it run for?".  (Incidently the yes vote on the poll question was the highest it
has been for the past 12 years.)

     Donald Acton

carlo@oscvax.UUCP (11/23/84)

In article <863@ubc-cs.UUCP> acton@ubc-cs.UUCP (Donald Acton) writes:
>[If] some of the things that are of benefit to me are definitely not of benefit
>to others therefore the government can't be run for the benefit of all.

Of course, it isn't run for the benefit of all.  All you need is ONE dissenting
voice and the statement is false (as you state).  However, I don't really
think that all of the people who voted for the truth of the statement would
answer the following similar question the same way:  "Do you believe that
government is run for the benefit of every single individual?"  Any person
with a bit of brains in their heads would answer "NO".  I think that the poll
question, in order to be fair, should read something like "Do you believe that
government is run for the benefit of the majority of people."  This would
eliminate confusion over the definition of "all".  However, it may not be
what is wanted in the poll.

>My question is "If government is not run for the benefit of all then who is
>it run for?".  (Incidently the yes vote on the poll question was the highest it
>has been for the past 12 years.)
>
>     Donald Acton

Why, the pollsters, of course :-).

--
Carlo Sgro
Ontario Science Centre, Toronto

"Don't touch that dial!"

larryk@tektronix.UUCP (Larry Kohn) (11/26/84)

In article <863@ubc-cs.UUCP> acton@ubc-cs.UUCP (Donald Acton) writes:

>My question is "If government is not run for the benefit of all then who is
>it run for?".

Why, those on top of the "Second Wave," of course.