[net.politics] Detesting the governments of the Eastern Bloc

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (11/20/84)

=============
Finally, may I commend you for detesting the governments of the Eastern
Bloc.  Not everyone on this side of the Iron Curtain shares your views.
=============

I haven't seen any difference of opinion about detesting the Soviet
governments on this net.  If there are many people who don't, they
must show their opinions elsewhere.  Or do you assume that criticism
of the US implies satisfaction with the Soviets?
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/26/84)

> =============
> Finally, may I commend you for detesting the governments of the Eastern
> Bloc.  Not everyone on this side of the Iron Curtain shares your views.
> =============
>
> I haven't seen any difference of opinion about detesting the Soviet
> governments on this net.  If there are many people who don't, they
> must show their opinions elsewhere.  Or do you assume that criticism
> of the US implies satisfaction with the Soviets?
> --
>
> Martin Taylor
> {allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt
> {uw-beaver,qucis,watmath}!utcsrgv!dciem!mmt

I was referring to my personal acquaintances.  I have talked a little with
some Spartacus Youth League members in the Boston area...

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (11/27/84)

> I haven't seen any difference of opinion about detesting the Soviet
> governments on this net.  If there are many people who don't, they
> must show their opinions elsewhere.  Or do you assume that criticism
> of the US implies satisfaction with the Soviets?

When people criticize the US for doing things that are essential in
opposing the USSR, and say that we shouldn't be doing them, then either
they are satisfied with the USSR or pretty stupid... I suspect mainly
the latter...

	Wayne

steven@mcvax.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) (11/29/84)

In article <2817@ucbcad.UUCP> faustus@ucbcad.UUCP writes:
> When people criticize the US for doing things that are essential in
> opposing the USSR, and say that we shouldn't be doing them, then either
> they are satisfied with the USSR or pretty stupid... I suspect mainly
> the latter...

This is of course untrue. There are more than two sides to most situations,
and so you can disagree with the US and the USSR simultaneously.

And when are people going to stop all this worthless name-calling in
net.politics? I propose that we adopt a resolution: anyone who name-calls
is regarded as having run out of arguments, and so the name-calling only
applies to themselves. Thus someone who calls others stupid is stupid for
having said it, someone who calls others fuzzy-headed should clear up their
thinking, someone who calls others loud-mouthed should keep quiet etc etc.