[net.politics] BYE FRITZ

rfs@loral.UUCP () (11/07/84)

What do	I hear!	 Theres	a WHIRLING, SWIRLING ,GURGLING sound in	the
back ground.  F	L U S H	!  there goes Fritz Mondale out	of the american
political system FOR GOOD!

BUSH in	'88

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (11/09/84)

Hey Ralph!

Did you hear what George Will had to say about Bush's behavior during
the campaign? Besides terming his excesses "despicable", Will noted
that Bush was serving his own Presidential ambitions rather that
helping his boss's reelection.  He noted that Bush had converted the
'84 election into the first '88 primary, ran unopposed, and lost!

Why does he remind me of Nixon?

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (11/12/84)

> Did you hear what George Will had to say about Bush's behavior during
> the campaign? Besides terming his excesses "despicable", Will noted
> that Bush was serving his own Presidential ambitions rather that
> helping his boss's reelection.  He noted that Bush had converted the
> '84 election into the first '88 primary, ran unopposed, and lost!
>
> Why does he remind me of Nixon?

I can think of another parallel between Bush and Nixon -- he's the only
person in the administration who knows the first thing about foreign
affairs. Besides, after Bush's performance in the debate, where he claimed
to be completely in agreement with RR in every respect, how can you imagine
that he was serving his own interests...

	Wayne

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (11/18/84)

It's really no surprise that Mondale lost.  The US has a long tradition
of rejecting decent intelligent people in favour of those that don't
make them feel intellectually uncomfortable, or in favour of stage
presence.  Look at Stevenson (3 times including his loss to Kennedy),
Humphrey, McGovern.  Then they compound the folly by re-electing the
same person AFTER they have had a chance to see what he does or does
not do (Eisenhower, Nixon!!, Reagan!!!).

This is a country that yearns for international respect, and knows
how to get it only with guns and threats.  It is also a country
pretends to support individual liberty, but shows that liberty to be
OK only for itself.  As quoted earlier here "The US has no friends,
only interests."
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (11/29/84)

In article <1205@dciem.UUCP> mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) writes:
>It's really no surprise that Mondale lost.  The US has a long tradition
>of rejecting decent intelligent people in favour of those that don't
>make them feel intellectually uncomfortable, or in favour of stage
>presence.  Look at Stevenson (3 times including his loss to Kennedy),
>Humphrey, McGovern.  Then they compound the folly by re-electing the
>same person AFTER they have had a chance to see what he does or does
>not do (Eisenhower, Nixon!!, Reagan!!!).
>
>This is a country that yearns for international respect, and knows
>how to get it only with guns and threats.  It is also a country
>pretends to support individual liberty, but shows that liberty to be
>OK only for itself.  As quoted earlier here "The US has no friends,
>only interests."
>--
>
>Martin Taylor
>{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt
>{uw-beaver,qucis,watmath}!utcsrgv!dciem!mmt

Pretty big talk, considering you are so unfortunate as to live in
Canada.  Tell me about Trudeau -- I promise not to laugh.
--
"But Dinsdale...Dinsdale used <pause> sarcasm!"
	we all know where this quote came from, don't we?

Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706

{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

scroggs@uiucdcsp.UUCP (12/01/84)

oh poo

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (12/03/84)

===================
Pretty big talk, considering you are so unfortunate as to live in
Canada.  Tell me about Trudeau -- I promise not to laugh.
===================
Some people may call it unlucky to live in Canada,  but those who have
the (mis?)fortune to do so don't think themselves unlucky.

Tell you about Trudeau? OK... You are talking about the politician who
more clearly than any current leader could see what was necessary in
the current state of the world.  Unfortunately, his personality did
not appeal to those who initially elected him as a God.  He turned out
to be human, which was a big let-down to those people, and naturally
they turned against him.  No human is strong enough or clever enough
to run a country single-handed, and Trudeau's intellectual power and
learned arrogance tended to drive away the second-best from his Cabinet.
Those people might well have been best, in other company.  Trudeau's
problem was not in poor judgment of what to do, but inability to get
it across in ways people could understand.  He did not pander.

I don't think my opinion of Trudeau has changed very much since he
was first elected.  I never succumbed to Trudeaumania, and I never
reviled him when he was down, either.  I think he is the best we have
had in actual power for a long time. His story is worthy of a
Greek tragedy, in that his own strength was his undoing.

Now Trudeau has gone, I expect an inward turning of Canada, with less
emphasis on the North-South dialogue that is essential to both the
economy and the politics of the West; I expect less concern with
foreign aid and appropriate development;  I expect more concern for
the short-term interests of big business in foreign trade and less
with the long-term interests of civilization.