[net.politics] Boy, is net.politics busy these days...

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/29/84)

In fact, net.politics is about eight times as busy as, say, net.math or
net.physics.  I suggest we split it up into some or all of the following:

		net.politics.abortion
		net.politics.economic
		net.politics.foreign
		net.politics.nukes
		net.politics.rights
		net.politics.sevener :-)

Yes, I think that net.abortion should really be part of net.politics.  In
any case, whether or not my choices for subgroups are appropriate,
net.politics really is getting too much traffic these days.  Lobbying from
others would be appreciated.
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"Eureka!" -Archimedes

steven@mcvax.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) (11/30/84)

In article <137@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:
> In fact, net.politics is about eight times as busy as, say, net.math or
> net.physics.  I suggest we split it up into some or all of the following:
>
> 		net.politics.abortion
> 		net.politics.economic
> 		net.politics.foreign
> 		net.politics.nukes
> 		net.politics.rights
> 		net.politics.sevener :-)

Well, perhaps it's because I use rn and so can kill a whole subject that the
traffic in net.politics doesn't bother me. For instance I never read
anything on libertarianism, which seems to cause a lot of traffic.
But still I'm very unsure about this division; another abortion group?
And what does 'politics.foreign' mean in the context of an international net?

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam, apparently in Sweden :-)

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/30/84)

> In article <137@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:
> > In fact, net.politics is about eight times as busy as, say, net.math or
> > net.physics.  I suggest we split it up into some or all of the following:
> >
> > 		net.politics.abortion
> > 		net.politics.economic
> > 		net.politics.foreign
> > 		net.politics.nukes
> > 		net.politics.rights
> > 		net.politics.sevener :-)

> But still I'm very unsure about this division; another abortion group?
> And what does 'politics.foreign' mean in the context of an international net?
>
> Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam, apparently in Sweden :-)

No, I think we should get rid of the old abortion group.  It is really a
political subject.  By net.politics.foreign I mean international politics,
not politics of foreign countries.  I was thinking of the term "foreign
politics," which is almost synonymous with international politics.

Oh no!!!! You're in Amsterdam also?  I seemed to think that you were in
Stockholm.  Surely *someone* is in Stockholm.  I'm so confused...
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"Everyone's a critic!"

robert@erix.UUCP (Robert Virding) (11/30/84)

In article <137@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:
>In fact, net.politics is about eight times as busy as, say, net.math or
>net.physics.  I suggest we split it up into some or all of the following:
>
>		net.politics.abortion
>		net.politics.economic
>		net.politics.foreign
>		net.politics.nukes
>		net.politics.rights
>		net.politics.sevener :-)

As net is distributed world-wide, what is net.politics.foreign foreign to?
Wouldn't it be more logical to create a us.politics for for strictly local
politics in the USA. Unfortunately much of US politics is not local as we
(the rest of the world) are expected to follow it if we want to be kept
safe from the evils of Communism (N.B. capital 'C').

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (12/01/84)

> In fact, net.politics is about eight times as busy as, say, net.math or
> net.physics.  I suggest we split it up into some or all of the following:
>
> 		net.politics.abortion
> 		net.politics.economic
> 		net.politics.foreign
> 		net.politics.nukes
> 		net.politics.rights
> 		net.politics.sevener :-)
>
> Yes, I think that net.abortion should really be part of net.politics.  In
> any case, whether or not my choices for subgroups are appropriate,
> net.politics really is getting too much traffic these days.  Lobbying from
> others would be appreciated.
> ---
> 			Greg Kuperberg
> 		     harvard!talcott!gjk

I agree. Of course, one subgroup has to be net.politics.libertarianism...

	Wayne

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (12/01/84)

----------
>In fact, net.politics is about eight times as busy as, say, net.math or
>net.physics.  I suggest we split it up into some or all of the following:
>
>		[several subtopics of politics]
>
>...net.politics really is getting too much traffic these days.  Lobbying from
>others would be appreciated.
---------
A good idea. I  just  got  to  net.politics,  and  I  find that there are 40
articles for me to wade through today. This is a rather large number in view
of the fact that it's Saturday  afternoon  at 3pm, and I last read news last
evening arond 9pm.

If I get behind on  net.politics  for  a week  (which  has  happened several
times; I can't afford to read it every single day), it sometimes takes me  3
or 4 weeks to catch up completely. Splitting it sounds good to me.
--
From the badly beaten keyboards of                       best address---+
him who speaks in _*_T_y_P_e_* _f-_O-_n-_T-_s...                                   |

jhull@spp2.UUCP (12/04/84)

In article <137@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:
>In fact, net.politics is about eight times as busy as, say, net.math or
>net.physics.  I suggest we split it up into some or all of the following:
>
>		net.politics.abortion
>		net.politics.economic
>		net.politics.foreign
>		net.politics.nukes
>		net.politics.rights
>		net.politics.sevener :-)
>
>			Greg Kuperberg

I agree!  I don't know what subgroups are appropriate, either, but I
sure would like some way to exclude the articles I'm not interested in
while keeping up with the others.

--
					Blessed Be,

 jhull@spp2.UUCP			Jeff Hull
 trwspp!spp2!jhull@trwrb.UUCP		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250

rohn@randvax.UUCP (Laurinda Rohn) (12/04/84)

>In fact, net.politics is about eight times as busy as, say, net.math or
>net.physics.  I suggest we split it up into some or all of the following:
>
>             net.politics.abortion
>             net.politics.economic
>             net.politics.foreign
>             net.politics.nukes
>             net.politics.rights
>             net.politics.sevener :-)
>
>                     Greg Kuperberg

I think creating a subgroup or two might not be a bad idea.  As an
initial experiment, I would propose creating net.politics.libertarian.
This might cut down the traffic substantially.  I don't think
net.politics.abortion would help much.  Abortion isn't strictly a
political issue.  I don't think anything is wrong with keeping net.
abortion as it is.

					Lauri