[net.politics] Don"t blame me

daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) (11/30/84)

> I too voted for Mondale.

Well I'm glad there aren't too many people around like you. I voted for Reagan
in 1980 & 1984. I think he is a great President. I can't honestly see how any-
one can say otherwise. Sure, he's not perfect, but no one is. Especially that
idiot Mondale. Reagan is getting this country on its feet again & that's fine
with me.
                                                  Shawn P. Daly
                                                  New York, N.Y.

mcgill@uiucdcs.UUCP (12/04/84)

It's people like you who really amaze me.

After all the facts, after all the arguments, after all the discussion
of the ISSUES, I am still finding out how blind people can be.

You call Reagen a good president?  Personally, I have two favorite
topics when it comes to discussing our *wonderful* President.

One's the budget deficit.  Ron's such a great guy, you know.  You know
they are discussing this week which campaign promises he will have to
break JUST TO START cutting the deficit.  But enough has been said about
the deficit.  We all know it's their.  I guess I must have a better under-
standing of what it means.

Take my second favorite topic, for example.  Education.  One of the most
important things in this world.  Where would we be without it?  Well,
we are already starting to get an idea of a world without it.  Teacher
strikes...what kind of affect do you think this has on children?  Positive
affects?  Doubtful.

As a college student, I can't even get a student loan.  Do you know where
this leaves me?  Have you ever tried going to a highly competitive college
and try to maintain grades high enough to get you into grad school, and
while doing so juggle two jobs?  I work on the average 25 hours a week.
And now are *wonderful* president is very heavily leaning towards cutting
aid to students.  Gosh, golly gee!  Was Mondale an idiot because he
was realized that education was important?  Am I an idiot because
I believe that education is important?  Am I an idiot because I know
that my father is about to lose his job because his company has been
fighting to stay alive ever since our god**mned *wonderful* president
imposed an embargo against the Soviets.

Sir, not to be snide or anything, but please, if you ever go to Peoria, IL,
in the near future, ask any Caterpillar worker what they think of
your so-called wonderful president.  My father has worked for Cat for
over 32 years.  But he goes to work wondering if he will he have

a job next week, next month, or next year.

One more thing.  Right now all economic indications point to a recession.
Give it a few months.  I think you may have a different opinion about
Reagen.  Actually, I take that back.  If you were blind to all the other
issues, I doubt if your eyes will open until your life style is
threatened or rocked in an extremely stressful way.

....of course, then you will probably blame it on those idiot Democrats....

					Don't blame me,

					Monica M. McGill

*opinions above are my own and in no way should reflect the University
of Illinois (excluding the Psych department:-)).*
(uiucdcs)
.

muth@amdahl.UUCP (John A. Muth) (12/07/84)

In article <29200168@uiucdcs.UUCP>, uiucdcs!mcgill states:

> As a college student, I can't even get a student loan.  Do you know where
> this leaves me?  Have you ever tried going to a highly competitive college
> and try to maintain grades high enough to get you into grad school, and
> while doing so juggle two jobs?  I work on the average 25 hours a week.
> And now are *wonderful* president is very heavily leaning towards cutting
> aid to students.  Gosh, golly gee!

(The violins swell)
I'm sorry that you can't get a student loan. I'm sorry that keeping
your grades up while working is hard. Who told you it was going to be
easy?  I don't think you are the first person that found working and
going to college difficult, nor will you be the last.

What do you suggest as an alternative? Perhaps a national policy stating:

   "Every college student is entitled to grants and loans sufficient
    to allow them to concentrate totally on their education."

That sound like the kind of hare-brained scheme that Mondale would
endorse whole-heartedly. Just becuase you decided to get educated
is no reason for society to support you while you do it.

> Was Mondale an idiot because he
> was realized that education was important?

Mondale was an idiot because he didn't seem to realize that when
you give somebody something for nothing, you have take it from
someone else. When the productive members of society are not
enjoying an increasing standard of living, they are reluctant
to increase the share of their incomes going to the un-productive.

> Sir, not to be snide or anything, but please, if you ever go to Peoria, IL,
> in the near future, ask any Caterpillar worker what they think of
> your so-called wonderful president.  My father has worked for Cat for
> over 32 years.  But he goes to work wondering if he will he have
>
> a job next week, next month, or next year.

I work for a moderately successful computer company. Will I have a job
next week, next month, next year? I don't know. That's the way capitalism
works. Nobody is guaranteed anything.

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I voted for Reagan. I held my
nose and voted for Mondale. I did so because I think Ronald Reagan
is dangerous and out of touch. I did not vote for Mondale because
he promised more goodies for everyone.

If you want to talk about how bad Reagan is, how about this item from
the news.

    "Organized Bombing of Abortion Clinics is NOT Terrorism, says FBI"

What the hell is it? Legitimate political opposition? Does the Reagan
administration support the bombing of the clinics, or are they
just afraid to offend their pro-life supporters?

I await your reply, my flame-proof suit is ready.
--
				John Muth
				(408) 746-6069

[The opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily
those of Amdahl Corporation, its management, or employees.]

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (12/07/84)

In article <688@amdahl.UUCP> muth@amdahl.UUCP (John A. Muth) writes:

>If you want to talk about how bad Reagan is, how about this item from
>the news.
>
>    "Organized Bombing of Abortion Clinics is NOT Terrorism, says FBI"

Suddenly, everyone seems to be noticing this pecadillo of the Reagan
administration.  In today's Wall Street Journal there was a "Viewpoint"
on this subject.  The closing sentence said: "If the administration very
obviously reserves 'terrorist' as an epithet for socio-political violence
it dislikes, then the conclusion must be that there are forms of socio-
political violence--such as anti-abortion bombings--that it views in a
tolerant and sympathetic light, and which it refuses to denounce."

I remember thinking during the debates, when Reagan mentioned terrorism,
that Mondale ought to have jumped on Reagan's tacit encouragement of
clinic bombings.  But he let that opportunity go by, as he did a few
other opportunities that I'd have liked to see him use.  Maybe it wouldn't
have changed the outcome, but it would have made more explicit exactly
what people were voting for.
--
Richard Mateosian
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA