[net.politics] Bastille... actually about gun control

ryan@fremen.DEC (12/04/84)

Jeff Hull says (quoting the Official NRA Cliche Handbook):

>	To repeat a simple truth, guns do not kill people, PEOPLE KILL
>	PEOPLE. (No? Really? You mean to tell me that hammer built that
>	house? (:-)

	No, the hammer did not build the house alone. However, try banning
hammers and see how many houses get built (hint:  you don't see too many
brick houses built these days :-).

	The point, of course, is that guns alone do not kill people, but
they make it much easier to kill people (in more ways than one - keep
reading).

>	The only difference a gun makes is that with a gun a person who
>	is physically smaller and weaker has a much better chance of
>	winning a violent argument than without a gun.

	No, there are other differences.  For one thing, a gun can be used
from a distance, therefore removing the responses of fight or flight which
are possible against other weapons (knives, blunt objects, etc.).  If you're
standing 30 feet from me and want to kill me, I'd much rather you tried it
with a knife than with a gun.

	Also (and this is a point which doesn't receive much attention), it
is psychologically much easier to kill with a gun than with a knife.  You
don't have to get too close to the victim (no blood on your hands), and it's
almost as if you're not directly attacking them at all - you pull a trigger
here, the victim falls down over there.  Plunging a knife into someone or
beating their head in is much more difficult to do, both physically and
psychologically.

	Finally, I'd like to ask what good a gun really does a law-abiding
citizen?  You may say it's for self-defense, but the fact remains that if
it gets used at all, it will be for
A. The shooting of a family member or friend either accidentally ("Honestly,
officer, I didn't know it was loaded...") or in the heat of the moment ("You
two-timing no-good *&($*$...").
B. Against you by a burglar (you know, the guy who it was going to protect
you from).
C. If you do get to it first, the burglar is not likely to waste time in
preventing you from using it.
D. Ah yes, there is a slim possibility of your actually using it against a
burglar.  Of course, this means you will go to prison for manslaughter (or
justifiable homicide if you're lucky).  Please remember, burglary is not
a capital crime in this country.

	I still don't know of any valid justification for the ownership
of handguns by law-abiding citizens.

	Oh, I almost forgot NRA top 10 cliche #2: If you outlaw guns, only
outlaws will have guns.  Well, as I've tried to point out above, no one else
really has any need for guns anyway.  At first, it would be true.  However,
it would make it much harder for new outlaws to get guns and for old outlaws
to replace their guns, and in time the number of guns and the resultant
bloodshed would diminish.

	Mike Ryan, DEC, Merrimack, NH
Need I say it? The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those
of DEC, its employees, its customers, residents of New Hampshire, or any
Celtics fans.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (12/04/84)

***
	Time to post this again!!

	. . .

	The premise that handguns do not deter crime is not valid.

	The "Wall Street Journal", Aug. 17, 1983,
page 1, has an article titlted "Can We Deny Citizens Both Guns
and Protection?" by Don B. Kates. Jr.

	The article discusses a court ruling that the police were not required
to protect citizens against criminals.  They pointed out that in District
of Columbia, where the incident took place (three women were robbed,
terrorized, and repeatedly raped and police did not respond to any of
the calls), gun control is in effect.

	They say that in the five years before gun control went into effect
the murder rate had dropped almost 36%, in the five subsequent years it
rose 16%.

  . . .

	"The only homicide rate that fell was justifiable killing
of felons by citizens which dropped to virtually nothing."

	"Anti-gun lobbyists claim that such justifiable homicides
are rare, but this turns out to be based on 20-year-old artificially
truncated statictics from just two cities.  Nationwide, 1981 FBI
statistics show that citizens justifiably kill 30% more criminals
than do police.  Even this statistic substantially underrepresents
the phenomena: it counts only robbers and burglers killed,
excluding personal self-defense - for example a woman who kills
a boyfriend to keep him from beating her to death.  The whole range of
1981 California statistics show citizens justifibly kill twice as many felons
as do police; in Chicago and Cleveland it is three times as many.

 . . .

	"Even justifiable homicide statictics are only a crude index
to the value of civilian handguns.  We don't, after all, measure
the value of police guns by the number of criminals they kill.
The number, wounded, captured, or driven off is far more important.

 . . .

	" ... the number of defensive handgun uses by civilians each year far
exceed criminal misuses."

 . . .

	"Faced with a dramatic increase in rape, Florida police in
Orlando instituted a highly-publicized program in 1966
in which 3,000 women received handgun defense training.
Rape statics were down [which presumablbly means there were less rapes]
90% in 1967, while aggrivated assults dropped 25% and burglary fell 24%.
Although rape began to increase again when the one-year program ended,
even five years later it was still 13% below the 1966 figure.  In the
same period, rape in the surrounding areas increased 308%.  When a defensive
firearms program for Detroit grocers received wide publicity from the
police chief's denunciations and the shooting of seven robbers,
grocery robberies dropped 90%.  Comparative programs for retail
merchents Highland Park, Mich., and for pahrmacists in New Orleans
are credited with similiarly dramatic robbery decreases.

 . . .

	"A burglar has a numerically greater chance of being confronted
by an armed householder then he has of being arrested and of actually
serving time.

	" ... recall the Atlanta suburb that reacted to the Morton-Grove
Ill. handgun ban by requiring every sane, responsible, head of household
to keep a firearm.  Compared to the preceding year, burglary rose
slightly in Morton-Grove, but fell 73% in the Atlanta suburb.

 ------ Wall Street Journal - Can We Deny Citizens Both Guns and Protection?
	Don B. Kates, Jr.
	August 17, 1983

	One person that decides to shoot it out with police in society
the way it is right now wouldn't have much luck.   On the other hand,
the Nazis had disarmed everyone and made it illegal to possess
weapons, which made it hard on the resistance at the time.    If, by referendum
and other means, the bill of rights is so eroded in 10 years that some
religious group could try to force others to share their beliefs, the fact
that there are large groups of armed people in this country that disagree with
them might moderate their actions.  What else could?  The United States
is a wonderful place to live right now, but how long can this "utopia"
last?  In many countries in this world the knock on the door means it is
all over.  Historically governments have not been benevolent things,
or if they are benevolent for a time they do not remain that way.
Bullys are less likely to run roughshod over someone that might
kill them.

	Deterents are psychological.  Rape did not go down in Orlando
because women were pasting large numbers of rapists left and right,
it went down because a rapist's chances of getting pasted increased
dramatically.  Likewise, our right to arm ourselves is a deterant against
a police state, not because we would go around shooting police but because
we COULD.

	"An armed society is a polite one."

		Robert A. Heinlein

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

robertsb@ttidcb.UUCP (Robin Roberts) (12/06/84)

>From: ttidca!philabs!cmcl2!seismo!hao!hplabs!hpda!fortune!amdcad!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-fremen!ryan Mon Dec  3 15:20:2

>Jeff Hull says (quoting the Official NRA Cliche Handbook):

>>	To repeat a simple truth, guns do not kill people, PEOPLE KILL
>>	PEOPLE. (No? Really? You mean to tell me that hammer built that
>>	house? (:-)

>	No, the hammer did not build the house alone. However, try banning
>hammers and see how many houses get built (hint:  you don't see too many
>brick houses built these days :-).

>	Also (and this is a point which doesn't receive much attention), it
>is psychologically much easier to kill with a gun than with a knife.  You
>don't have to get too close to the victim (no blood on your hands), and it's
>almost as if you're not directly attacking them at all - you pull a trigger
>here, the victim falls down over there.  Plunging a knife into someone or
>beating their head in is much more difficult to do, both physically and
>psychologically.

	This argument is really getting quite ridiculous. There are plenty
of very violent criminals in our society who are perfectly overjoyed at
plunging a knife into someone else with their bare hands. It remains true that
the average citizen should have access to the means to defend himself from this
violent people and the fact remains that guns are the most efficient and
effective tool to SAVE lives, namely your own!

>	Finally, I'd like to ask what good a gun really does a law-abiding
>citizen?  You may say it's for self-defense, but the fact remains that if
>it gets used at all, it will be for
>A. The shooting of a family member or friend either accidentally ("Honestly,
>officer, I didn't know it was loaded...") or in the heat of the moment ("You
>two-timing no-good *&($*$...").
	So will knives, clubs, and bare hands, despite cute sayings, guns do
not cause violence. They are merely tools. One of my favorite statistics comes
from the anti-handgun people, they frequently claim that the number of handguns
in America is between 40 million and 200 million. Well this statistic can be
turned around against the argument, because with the homicide rates we can
calculate that greater than 99.9% of all handguns ARE being used legally.

>B. Against you by a burglar (you know, the guy who it was going to protect
>you from).
Not that common, criminals frequently bring their own weapons. This is a
silly excuse not to defend yourself. What are you going to do? Trust the
criminal not to bring a weapons?? :-) This isn't a nuclear freeze discussion!

:-) :-)

>C. If you do get to it first, the burglar is not likely to waste time in
>preventing you from using it.
Huh?
>D. Ah yes, there is a slim possibility of your actually using it against a
>burglar.  Of course, this means you will go to prison for manslaughter (or
>justifiable homicide if you're lucky).  Please remember, burglary is not
>a capital crime in this country.

It is legal to use deadly force when you are in reasonable fear for your life,
the life of another or grave bodily harm. This is the only time when deadly
force would be used by any moral person.
The publication of the NRA for years reprinted newspaper articles from across
the country of incidents where citizens legally and responsibly used firearms
to defend themselves and their families against criminals. For five years they
even restricted articles to those where the citizen didn't injure or kill the
felon. They never ran out of incidents to cite.

>	I still don't know of any valid justification for the ownership
>of handguns by law-abiding citizens.

	The police can not protect you. You must protect yourself. Court
decisions have even held that police departments are not responsible when they
fail to protect you. You MUST be responsible for your own safety. Whether or
not firearms are a part of your program is a personal decision and most
definitly not one to be taken lightly. I have frequently advised people that
it is a decision requiring much thought and preparation. But I surely don't
want someone telling me I don't have that decision "for my own good". There is
little difference between this guy and moral majority people who would take
away my right to reproduction choice.

>	Oh, I almost forgot NRA top 10 cliche #2: If you outlaw guns, only
>outlaws will have guns.  Well, as I've tried to point out above, no one else
>really has any need for guns anyway.  At first, it would be true.  However,
>it would make it much harder for new outlaws to get guns and for old outlaws
>to replace their guns, and in time the number of guns and the resultant
>bloodshed would diminish.

	Isn't ignorance a sad thing?

	In truth criminal acts will continue to go on in our world until
we address the problem of criminal behavior not something so meaningless as
a neutral tool. Crime has actually dropped in the last few years. A new gun
control act? Of course not. Merely a drop in the population most likely to
commit criminal acts. Treat diseases, not symptoms.

>	Mike Ryan, DEC, Merrimack, NH
>Need I say it? The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those
>of DEC, its employees, its customers, residents of New Hampshire, or any
>Celtics fans.

	Nor most especially me, don't compromise my safety with your cute
concepts with no reality reference.

--

    Robin D. Roberts                     (213) 450 9111 x 2916
    TTI     Zone V4                     aka Buskirk the Valerian

 UUCP: ..!ucbvax!ihnp4!vortex!ttidca!ttidcb!robertsb
 or  {cadovax,flick,philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex,wtux2}!ttidca!ttidcb!robertsb
 or   ttidca!ttidcb!robertsb@RAND-UNIX.ARPA

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (12/07/84)

Most countries in Western Europe have restrictions concerning the private
ownership of guns. In some countries (eg Britain) even the police don't carry
guns. The result of this is that statistics show that far fewer people die by
shooting in Europe than do in the USA. To most Europeans the restrictions on
gun ownership seems sane and sensible. There may be people in Europe who
advocate the private ownership of guns but I am sure that they represent a
small minority.

Most Western Europeans regard the semi religious fury with which the gun
lobbies in the USA defend the right of private individuals to own guns with
bewilderment. The only explanation which I can see for this religious fervour
is that violence is culturaly more acceptable in the USA than it is in Europe.
Can this really be true? I know many Americans and they don't seem to be more
violent than the average European. If it is true then I am even more
frightened about the possibility of nuclear war than I am already. If a
country is culturaly prepared to accept violence then the possibility of
their using nuclear weapons is higher.