[net.politics] Those Marksist-Lennonist Sandanistas

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (12/05/84)

----
In article <> emks@uokvax.UUCP writes:
>I think it's about every 6 months or so that we seem to get this spelling
>thing on the net.  Why don't we take it to net.spell or something.

   My posting on the spelling of "Sandinista" was, rather obviously, not a
spelling flame but an IGNORANCE flame.  If I were to write an article about
the "Marksist-Lennonists" in Central America, my spelling error would show
something more than mere carelessness.  A person who is capable of writing
"Sandanistas" has apparently never heard of Augusto Cesar Sandino, and shows
about the same level of understanding of Nicaragua as the writer on
Marksism-Lennonism would show of leftist revolutionary movements.  The
difference between the contras and the Contadora nations is also not a
trivial one.  I am NOT complaining about the rampant spelling errors on the
net.  I find them useful:  they help me sort out the true idiots from the
merely incompetent.

   In my experience, those who support Reagan's approach to dealing
with the turmoil in Central America are generally those who don't know
doodlysquat about the region.  Conversely, it is hard to find an expert on
the region's history who supports the Administration's policies.  Here is
some homework for Reaganites:  read a few of the following books, and then
come back and tell me that Reagan has been pursuing wise policies in Central
America.  (Each of the authors has his/her biases, of course, and I do not
claim that each book contains the whole truth and nothing but the truth.)

   On Central America in general:

Walter LaFeber, _Inevitable Revolutions_ (a good place to start)
Penny Lernoux, _Cry of the People_ (on the persecution of the Catholic
	Church in Latin America)
Raymond Bonner, _Weakness and Deceit_ (US involvement in El Salvador)
Roger Burbach & P. Flynn, eds., _The Politics of Intervention:  The US in
	Central America_
M. Diskin, ed., _Trouble in Our Backyard_
S. Kinzer & Schlesinger (I think), _Bitter Fruit_
E. Baloyra, _El Salvador_

   On Nicaragua:

Rius, _Nicaragua for Beginners_ (a comic book!!!)
Tomas Borge et al., _Sandinistas Speak_
Bernard Diederich, _Somoza and the Legacy of US Involvement in Central
	America_
F.M. Lappe & J. Collins, _Now We Can Speak:  A Journey Through the New
	Nicaragua_
J. Collins, _What Difference Could a Revolution Make?_
Richard Millett, _Guardians of the Dynasty:  History of the US-Created
	Guardia Nacional of Nicaragua and the Somoza Family_
Margaret Randall, _Sandino's Daughters:  Testimonies of Nicaraguan Women in
	Struggle_
Peter Rossett & J. Vandermeer, eds., _The Nicaragua Reader:  Documents of a
	Revolution Under Fire_
Gregorio Selser, _Sandino_
Thomas W. Walker, _Nicaragua:  The Land of Sandino_
Thomas W. Walker, _Nicaragua in Revolution_
Henri Weber, _Nicaragua: The Sandinist Revolution_
Eduardo Crawley, _Nicaragua in Perspective_
Sheryl Hirshon, _And Also Teach Them to Read_ (on the literacy program)
Karl Grossman, _Nicaragua:  America's New Vietnam?_
G. Black, _Triumph of the People:  The Sandinista Revolution in Nicaragua_
J.A. Booth, _The End and the Beginning:  The Nicaraguan Revolution_

			Richard Carnes
			Staff Grammarian, U. Chicago CS Dept.
			ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

Golden Rule for the Reagan Eighties:  Let's do it unto them before they do
it unto us.

emks@uokvax.UUCP (12/08/84)

/***** uokvax:net.politics / gargoyle!carnes /  7:16 pm  Dec  4, 1984 */
   My posting on the spelling of "Sandinista" was, rather obviously, not a
spelling flame but an IGNORANCE flame.  If I were to write an article about
the "Marksist-Lennonists" in Central America, my spelling error would show
something more than mere carelessness.  A person who is capable of writing
"Sandanistas" has apparently never heard of Augusto Cesar Sandino, and shows
about the same level of understanding of Nicaragua as the writer on
Marksism-Lennonism would show of leftist revolutionary movements.  The
difference between the contras and the Contadora nations is also not a
trivial one.  I am NOT complaining about the rampant spelling errors on the
net.  I find them useful:  they help me sort out the true idiots from the
merely incompetent.

Oh, so I guess those who mispronounce "nuclear" as "new-culer" (with a long
u) just don't know what the hell they're talking about.  I don't buy your
argument one bit.

I guess Ph.D. receipients never misspell intraoffice memos dealing with
technical matters?  And I guess you can sit on your pious seat and dictate
who is and who isn't an idiot.

Go take a Greyhound.

		kurt