[net.politics] An American invented the phone, thus this is an American net

steven@mcvax.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) (12/09/84)

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) wrote:
> Remember, this is an American network that your posting to.

to which I (amongst others) replied:
> No it's not.

To which he replied:
> Ok, how many UUCP hosts are there?  And how many of them are in the U.S.?
> And where was UUCP started anyway?  And where was Unix invented?  And
> the vax?  And the silicon chip?  And the telephone?

And who discovered electricity? And who developed the English language??
And who discovered America in the first place??? And what a blind bit of
difference does it make anyway?

How many nations are there on the net? And how many of them are the USA?

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam; steven@mcvax

dxp@pyuxhh.UUCP (D Peak) (12/11/84)

Actually, the subject line lies !

A.G. Bell was a Scot, a citizen of the U.K., when he invented the principle
of telephonic speech in 1876.
He did not become a citizen of the US until 1882.
So it was a Scot who invented the telephone.
Admittedly his basic work was in the US from 1874-76(when he received an
american patent).
However the first "telephone call" was from Paris to Bradford(both in
Ontario), so the telephone was invented in Canada ?

Sounds like an international conspiracy to me !!!!!

--
    Dave Peak (pyuxhh!dxp)

"Don't just stand there DROOLING - charm the hell out of me !"

jbtubman@water.UUCP (Jim Tubman) (12/11/84)

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) wrote:
> Remember, this is an American network that your posting to.

And in reply to Steven Pemberton, he observed:

> Ok, how many UUCP hosts are there?  And how many of them are in the U.S.?
> And where was UUCP started anyway?  And where was Unix invented?  And
> the vax?  And the silicon chip?  And the telephone?

As far as an American inventing the telephone goes, it is interesting to
note that the U.S., Britain, and Canada have all claimed A. G. Bell as their
own, by reasons of birth, citizenship, place of residence, and site of his
crucial work.  The telephone itself was undoubtedly invented in the U.S.;
however, American chauvinists might be surprised to learn that the first
long-distance phone call took place in Canada and was also a project of
Bell's.  The net would not be much if it were not for the long-distance
lines that link the sites together.

So does the fundamental nature of this important Canadian invention give
those of us here in Snowland a right to denounce what foreigners say on this
(international) net, as Greg J. Kuperberg would have us believe?  I do not
think so.  Just as the list of marvellous American inventions (Unix, the
Vax, etc.) does not give Mr. Kuperberg a similar right.

Arguments should be refuted by reason, not by nationalism and other
emotional ranting.

					Jim Tubman
					University of Waterloo