[net.politics] Central America

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (12/07/84)

-----
Jeff Hull, blessed be he, writes:
> And don't tell me the domino theory doesn't work, tell it to the people in
> Cambodia, Laos, etc.

The domino theory doesn't work.  I heard it from the people in Thailand,
Malaysia, etc.

> Now will all of you who want to lobby, protest, etc., against American
> military involvement in Central America please start coming up with some
> substantive suggestions about ANY positive actions the US or the
> Contadora Group or ANYONE can take to relieve the situation there.

With pleasure.  To avert a wider war in Central America, the US should take
the following short-range steps:

NICARAGUA:  Cease backing the counterrevolutionary forces based in
Honduras and Costa Rica, and support Contadora efforts to normalize
relations between Nicaragua and its neighbors.

EL SALVADOR:  Cut off military aid, and support efforts for a negotiated
settlement involving power-sharing among the contending forces.

HONDURAS:  Dismantle the US bases in Honduras, withdraw US troops and
warships and participate in development aid.

GUATEMALA:  Express disapproval of the government's repressive policies
toward indigenous people, maintain the cutoff of military assistance and
provide aid for Guatemalan refugees in Mexico who have fled from the
violence there.

COSTA RICA:  Oppose militarization and extend economic assistance.

CUBA:  Begin a process designed to achieve normal diplomatic and
commercial relations.

A longer-range program for development:

AID:  US economic assistance should flow towards those regional programs and
governments that are narrowing the gulf between rich and poor, as well as to
grassroots institutions and projects that diversify the economic base of
each country.

TRADE:  US trade should be liberalized alongside support of limited
commodity agreements to help Central American countries stabilize earnings
from their commodity exports.

DEBT:  The US should support regional plans for renegotiation of external
debt.

WORKERS AND MIGRANTS:  The US should develop programs to compensate and
retrain US workers affected by liberalized imports and guarantee rights to
immigrant workers.

The above program is to be found in _Changing Course_ by a group called
Policy Alternatives for the Caribbean and Central America (PACCA).  This is
the best short (~100 pp.) analysis of the Central American situation that I
know of.  It also contains a response to the Kissinger Commission's report.
With all due respect to Dr. Kissinger, he is the last person who should
have been chosen to head the commission, with the possible exception of Gen.
Pinochet.  His disposition to see world politics as a chess game between the
superpowers prevents him from understanding Central America (and much of the
Third World).  He once told the Chilean foreign minister, "You come here
speaking of Latin America, but this is not important.  Nothing important can
come from the South.  History has never been produced in the South.  The
axis of history starts in Moscow, goes to Bonn, crosses over to Washington,
and then goes to Tokyo.  What happens in the South is of no importance."
Deep thinker, that Henry.

The Reagan Administration continues to commit the classic error of post-WWII
American foreign policy, which has been well described by Richard J. Barnet
in _Intervention and Revolution_:

"Revolutionary movements grow in the soil of exploitation and injustice....
The danger in treating local revolutions as part of a worldwide conspiracy
and not as expressions of nationalistic feeling and indigenous political
sentiment is that so faulty an analysis cannot be the basis of a practical
strategy.  That lesson became clear in Vietnam and, I fear, will be taught
to us again.  Where the greatest power in the world scares itself with a set
of beliefs that have at best only a tangential connection with the reality
of revolution, that nation becomes a menace to itself and to others."

Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

jhull@spp2.UUCP (12/12/84)

In article <247@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
>-----
>Jeff Hull, blessed be he, writes:
>> And don't tell me the domino theory doesn't work, tell it to the people in
>> Cambodia, Laos, etc.
>
>The domino theory doesn't work.  I heard it from the people in Thailand,
>Malaysia, etc.

By your logic, I could claim the domino theory doesn't work because
Iran isn't communist. (:-)  Seriously, the domino theory relates to
interlocking socioeconomic structures, and, while Thailand was a part
of the structure referred to, Malaysia was not.  A discussion of why
Thailand didn't fall to the communists would be a) beyond me, b) very
lengthy, c) inappropriate here.  The domino theory predicted the fall
of Cambodia, Laos, the massive killing there and in South Viet Nam,
North Viet Namese dominance in the area, and the falling out between
the North Viet Namese and the Red Chinese.  Not a bad track record.

>> Now will all of you who want to lobby, protest, etc., against American
>> military involvement in Central America please start coming up with some
>> substantive suggestions about ANY positive actions the US or the
>> Contadora Group or ANYONE can take to relieve the situation there.
>
>With pleasure.  To avert a wider war in Central America, the US should take
>the following short-range steps:

Thank you very much.  This kind of response provides the basis for why
I bother reading net.politics at all.  I placed these general comments
here so I could also comment specifically on each of the suggestions
immediately adjacent to it.

These suggestions seem to me to offer a sound basis for debate here in
net.politics to become the basis of an alternative US policy in
Central America.  Each one seems to me to eminently supportable.

I am somewhat disturbed by these suggestions (taken as a group),
because they seem to withdraw support from governments that are or
feel threatened by external forces, e.g., El Salvadoran guerillas
supported by Nicaragua (at least I have never heard that Nicaraguan
support of El Salvadoran guerillas was predicated and preceded by US
instigation of guerilla activity against Nicaragua based from El
Salvador.)  I do not claim ANY expertise in Central American affairs
and my information about situations there is pretty much limited to
what I hear & read in the US media (I occasionally read some major
European English language papers, but no Central or South American
ones.)  Still, I have not heard anyone, even on this net, suggest that
the US, rather than Cuba, is the prime exporter of revolution and
terrorism in this area.

I remember, bitterly, the activities of Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden
in mobilizing the country against our support of South Viet Nam
followed by silence from them when the North Viet Namese and
the Pol Pot regime in Cambodia began slaughtering their conquered
opponents.

>NICARAGUA:  Cease backing the counterrevolutionary forces based in
>Honduras and Costa Rica, and support Contadora efforts to normalize
>relations between Nicaragua and its neighbors.

I can wholeheartedly support this suggestion. I feel it should be
contingent on Nicaragua ceasing their support of guerillas and
terrorists anywhere in Central America, especially El Salvador.

>EL SALVADOR:  Cut off military aid, and support efforts for a negotiated
>settlement involving power-sharing among the contending forces.

I don't know about this one.  A lot of what I read indicates that the
guerillas are not willing to adhere to non-violent methods even when
that possibility is available.  I DO NOT support offering anyone a
larger piece of the pie simply because the pick up a gun to ask for
it.  Likewise, when people are denied legitimate rights, I support
their demanding those rights by any means necessary.  What is the
truth here?  The stuff I read indicates the government of El Salvador
is moving to expand civil liberty and trying to provide the basis for
a fair and representative government and that the guerillas are
holding out for a larger share of the goodies than they will get
under a fair and representative government.

>HONDURAS:  Dismantle the US bases in Honduras, withdraw US troops and
>warships and participate in development aid.

I wholeheartedly support this idea.

>GUATEMALA:  Express disapproval of the government's repressive policies
>toward indigenous people, maintain the cutoff of military assistance and
>provide aid for Guatemalan refugees in Mexico who have fled from the
>violence there.

I have no opinion.  I haven't been following events in Guatemala.

>COSTA RICA:  Oppose militarization and extend economic assistance.

I wholeheartedly support this idea.

>CUBA:  Begin a process designed to achieve normal diplomatic and
>commercial relations.

I support this idea but I think it should be combined with agreements
to prevent further Cuban military adventurism and to reduce current
Cuban military involvement in Central America (notice that I ignore
Cuban involvement in Africa.  I think that is a separate problem that
should NOT be linked to Cuban participation in the Western Hemisphere
community).  I think continued advocation of and financial and
military support to violent overthrow of other governments is adequate
justification for ostracism of Cuba.  Note that I do not advocate
ostracising Cuba.  Far from it!  I think that getting Cuba back into
the mainstream of Caribbean and Central American activities (has she
ever really been out of it?) should be a prime goal of US foreign
policy.  I just don't like Cuba supporting violent revolutions in
other countries.

>A longer-range program for development:
>
>AID:  US economic assistance should flow towards those regional programs and
>governments that are narrowing the gulf between rich and poor, as well as to
>grassroots institutions and projects that diversify the economic base of
>each country.

I think US aid should flow toward those regional programs and
governments that support the principles on which this country was
founded, and those have NOTHING to do with "narrowing the gulf between
rich and poor."  Those principles revolve around providing equal
opportunity for each individual to make whatever he or she wants to
make of her life.  They include the notion of minimal government
interference in the lives of individuals and the domestic economy.
For some time to come, this direction will coincide with that
suggested above because the entrenched power structures in these
countries is and will continue to resist change.  But we should never
forget the basic goal (which I think should be as I have stated
above).

>DEBT:  The US should support regional plans for renegotiation of external
>debt.

Perhaps for renegotiation of repayment of external debt, but not for
renegotiation of the debt itself.

>TRADE:  US trade should be liberalized alongside support of limited
>commodity agreements to help Central American countries stabilize earnings
>from their commodity exports.
>
>WORKERS AND MIGRANTS:  The US should develop programs to compensate and
>retrain US workers affected by liberalized imports and guarantee rights to
>immigrant workers.

These two must be considered together.  They also have significant
impact on US domestic policy which should be carefully considered.
This is a call for comments from everyone.

The following quotation is so important, I have included it.

>"Revolutionary movements grow in the soil of exploitation and injustice....
>The danger in treating local revolutions as part of a worldwide conspiracy
>and not as expressions of nationalistic feeling and indigenous political
>sentiment is that so faulty an analysis cannot be the basis of a practical
>strategy.  That lesson became clear in Vietnam and, I fear, will be taught
>to us again.  Where the greatest power in the world scares itself with a set
>of beliefs that have at best only a tangential connection with the reality
>of revolution, that nation becomes a menace to itself and to others."

_Intervention and Revolution_: Richard J. Barnet

--
					Blessed Be,

 jhull@spp2.UUCP			Jeff Hull
 trwspp!spp2!jhull@trwrb.UUCP		13817 Yukon Ave.