[net.politics] A fresh new supply of organs!

varne@druxu.UUCP (VarnetEJ) (11/29/84)

.nf
>Though I don't at all agree with his ideas, I must confess
>there are times when killing humans seems to be the most humane
>thing to do.
>A case in point: the starving children of Ethiopia and other
>African countries. Scientists tell us that these children are already
>so severly malnourished that even if they were to survive and grow up,
>they would be so severly retarted
>isn't it the most humane thing to kill those children (who would
>otherwise grow up retarded) and end the misery now, rather than
>propagate it for generations to come?

	A much better solution would be to keep them alive in
special care centers where they would be available as donors
for organ transplants.  Thousands of people, many of them children,
die each year because of a lack of ready (fresh) donors.
Hospitals and prospective organ recipients would be more than
willing to foot the bills for the center.
	I am sure that the people who objected to the Baby Fae
experiment because it was cruel to the baboon would welcome alternative
organ sources.  In fact, maybe it makes sense to do away with
animals for experimentation all together!  Retarded Ethiopian
children would make much better subjects in laboratory experiments.
	Now if there was only some way to save human fetuses for
the same purpose ...

	Maybe if we require abortions to be postponed until
the third month.  That wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for
the mother (or temporary life support system) and would give
doctors the opportunity to save some percent of the abortions
for future use.

					Ed Hummel
	{ihnp4,cmcl2,burl,allegra,...}!clyde!bonnie!emh
Good idea Ed. ( glad to see U signed your name! indicating
that you not like some of our shy people from Ill.)
  Now How about American retards?  We can keep them in
cattle pens and feed them well then execute them
for their organs!! The idea of killing fetus for organs is
a logical extension another logical extension would be the
care and killing of unwanted adults-after all wouldn't they
be better off? What a good supply of organs??
				Down with birth control
                                  via murder! ED.
.fi

mwm@ea.UUCP (12/03/84)

/***** ea:net.politics / druxu!varne /  4:43 pm  Nov 29, 1984 */
  Now How about American retards?  We can keep them in
cattle pens and feed them well then execute them
for their organs!! The idea of killing fetus for organs is
a logical extension another logical extension would be the
care and killing of unwanted adults-after all wouldn't they
be better off? What a good supply of organs??
				Down with birth control
                                  via murder! ED.
/* ---------- */

Using unwanted adults as an organ supply has already been suggested.  The
basis is that condemned criminals would lose the "right" to control what
happens to their body after their death, and all their organs would be
available for transplants. The idea is that they just may save more lives
than they destroyed.

When the politicians get hold of this, it will undoubtedly become law.
After all, the "people" can extend their lifes with it. It will also doom
the movement to do away with the death penalty. Finally, you can expect the
death penalty to be applied to steadily less severe crimes, until to many
moving violations gets you sent to the organ banks.

Isn't the will of the majority fun?

	<mike

jrh@hou5g.UUCP (John Hutchinson) (12/05/84)

Hmm - Larry Niven has explored what might happen if the organs of
condemed criminals are used for transplants in a number of science-
fiction short stories and novellas. They make for interesting (and in
the context of the current debate, scary) reading. Imagine being
put to death for too many speeding tickets.

		John Hutchinson
		ihnp4!hou5g!jrh

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (12/06/84)

In article <22400056@ea.UUCP> mwm@ea.UUCP writes:

>Finally, you can expect the
>death penalty to be applied to steadily less severe crimes, until too many
>moving violations gets you sent to the organ banks.

I remember reading a short story with this theme.  I don't remember who
wrote it or where I read it.
--
Richard Mateosian
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

lkt@ukc.UUCP (L.K.Turner) (12/07/84)

< Line eater : I'aint afraid of no mail -> ...munch...munch... >

In article <1987@nsc.UUCP> srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) writes:

>In article <22400056@ea.UUCP> mwm@ea.UUCP writes:
>
>>Finally, you can expect the
>>death penalty to be applied to steadily less severe crimes, until too many
>>moving violations gets you sent to the organ banks.
>
>I remember reading a short story with this theme.  I don't remember who
>wrote it or where I read it.
>--
>Richard Mateosian
>{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

 The short story you refer to was written by Larry Niven , collected
stories on this theme may be found in "The long ARM of Gill Hamilton",
also in other Niven collections.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (12/07/84)

> In article <22400056@ea.UUCP> mwm@ea.UUCP writes:
>
> >Finally, you can expect the
> >death penalty to be applied to steadily less severe crimes, until too many
> >moving violations gets you sent to the organ banks.
>
> I remember reading a short story with this theme.  I don't remember who
> wrote it or where I read it.
> --
> Richard Mateosian
> {cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

Well, you can get electric organs pretty cheaply from Hammond.  Some
Japanese companies probably sell them too... :-) 8-)
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"Madam, there is only one important question facing us, and that is the
question whether the white race will survive."  -Leonid Breshnev, speaking
to Margaret Thatcher.

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (12/10/84)

Reference also the story "Coma", both a movie and a book.  Not quite
the same idea, but along the same lines.

bwm@ccice2.UUCP (Brad Miller) (12/12/84)

> Using unwanted adults as an organ supply has already been suggested.  The
> basis is that condemned criminals would lose the "right" to control what
> happens to their body after their death, and all their organs would be
> available for transplants. The idea is that they just may save more lives
> than they destroyed.
>
> When the politicians get hold of this, it will undoubtedly become law.
> After all, the "people" can extend their lifes with it. It will also doom
> the movement to do away with the death penalty. Finally, you can expect the
> death penalty to be applied to steadily less severe crimes, until to many
> moving violations gets you sent to the organ banks.
>
> Isn't the will of the majority fun?
>
> 	<mike

Didn't I read about this in a Larry Niven novel - 'the long arm of Gil Hamilton'
or some such?

Brad Miller
--
...[rochester, cbrma, rlgvax, ritcv]!ccice5!ccice2!bwm