[net.politics] School taxes -- defining the problem

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (12/01/84)

There are really three separate issues to be considered
when thinking about education:

	1. Should the government be in the school business?

	2. Should everyone be required to go to school?

	3. Should people be forced to pay for others' education?

Question 1 is completely independent of 2 and 3.  An answer of
"yes" to question 2 implies an answer of "yes" to question 3,
because some people would otherwise not be able to pay for their
compulsory education. On the other hand, if your answer to
question 2 is "no", then you might answer "yes" or "no" to 3.

I think any discussion of these issues will be better conceived
if it takes this separation into account.

Further discussion in net.politics, please.

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (12/02/84)

> There are really three separate issues to be considered
> when thinking about education:
>
> 	1. Should the government be in the school business?
>
> 	2. Should everyone be required to go to school?
>
> 	3. Should people be forced to pay for others' education?

Yes to 2. I don't think that the merits of universal literacy need to
be brought up -- an end to compulsory education would mean a return
to the dark ages. 3 follows from 2, and I think 1 also follows from
2. If anybody has any ideas about how to do this without government
support, I'd be happy to hear them.

	Wayne

wjb@burl.UUCP (Bill Buie) (12/03/84)

At the risk of becoming a target...

1) The simple fact is that in terms of raw ability, all men are NOT
   created equal.

2) The ideal society allows each man an equal opportunity to rise to
   his own level of competence.  Everybody deserves a chance.

There is no way to avoid perpetuating unfairness without public
education.  Them what has, gets.  Note also that it is in the best
interests of society in general that the most talented people (as
opposed to the people with the wealthiest parents, which isn't the
same thing) get the education to be engineers, managers, doctors,
etc.

If everybody had a fair chance, then everybody would deserve what
they got as a result of it.
--

				--Bill Buie

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (12/13/84)

In article <ucbcad.2> faustus@ucbcad.UUCP writes:
>> There are really three separate issues to be considered
>> when thinking about education:
>>
>> 	1. Should the government be in the school business?
>>
>> 	2. Should everyone be required to go to school?
>>
>> 	3. Should people be forced to pay for others' education?
>
>Yes to 2. I don't think that the merits of universal literacy need to
>be brought up -- an end to compulsory education would mean a return
>to the dark ages. 3 follows from 2, and I think 1 also follows from
>2. If anybody has any ideas about how to do this without government
>support, I'd be happy to hear them.
>
>	Wayne

I say no to 2.  By compulsory education do you mean compulsory attendance at
a day school? A number of educators (John Holt and Raymond Moore among others)
have pointed out that literacy in this country has actually declined since
the advent of "compulsory education/attendance".  If you
don't believe me read what these people are saying.

We tend to have a rather short-sighted view of education and
forget from whence we came.  John Adams said in 1765 that "a native
of America, especially of New England, who cannot read and write
is as rare a Phenomenon as a Comet."[1]   We may want to adopt a
broader definition of the word "literacy" to include other
necessary functionality, but strictly speaking, the 18th and
19th centuries were not what you would call "dark ages".

The public schools are, by and large, failing our youth today.  Their
promises are much more than they can reasonably deliver.  My wife and
I chose to remove our son from the public schools and educate
him ourselves.  It wasn't an easy decision, and we certainly are
getting a lot of flack from our school officials, but believe me it
was well worth it.  We have constructed an individualized
curriculum for him and he has responded well to the personal
attention he is now getting.  Home-schooling isn't an option for
everyone, but it is one worth looking into if you really care for
your child's well-being.

[1] Diary and Autobiography of John Adams (L. Butterfield, ed.,
    Cambridge, MA: Harvard U. Press, 1961)

--
Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl