[net.politics] The real issue about nuclear weapons

renner@uiucdcs.UUCP (11/26/84)

>  I happen to think that Doctors and biologists are far more qualified to
>  judge the health effects of Nuclear War than people who know how much
>  bang you can get with given weapons but know nothing about biology.
>  Let's listen to the experts-let's stop the arms race NOW!
>  				-- Tim Sevener (orb@whuxl)

Tim's argument is as follows:
    1.  Doctors and biologists are the best judge of the health effects
	of nuclear war.
    2.  Doctors and biologists agree that a nuclear war would have
	disasterous effects on health care.
Therefore:
    3.  A nuclear war should be avoided.

    4.  Stopping the arms race NOW (ie., the nuclear "Freeze") is the
	best way to avoid a nuclear war.
Therefore:
    5.  Let's stop the arms race NOW!

This is sloppy thinking at best, deliberate propagandizing at worst.  All
of us agree on point #3.  Many of us disagree with Tim on point #4.  The
real issue is not, "should we have a nuclear war," but rather, "what is the
best way to avoid nuclear war?"

I'd like to talk about this, but it's really hard to generate
discussion about a point that some people accept with an
almost-religious intensity.  Articles like the one I quoted only direct
the discussion away from the issue.  Articles with factual errors
("cruise missiles are first-strike weapons") and irrelevancies ("the US
has 30,000 warheads, the Soviet Union only 25,000") also get in the
way.  It's a losing battle trying to correct these -- by the time you
point out the errors in one article, the author has usually written 3
more with *new* mistakes.

We all agree that nuclear war is a bad thing.  Now let's talk about the
real issue.

Scott Renner
{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!renner

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (11/27/84)

> Scott Renner writes:
> Tim's argument is as follows:
>     1.  Doctors and biologists are the best judge of the health effects
> 	of nuclear war.
>     2.  Doctors and biologists agree that a nuclear war would have
> 	disasterous effects on health care.
> Therefore:
>     3.  A nuclear war should be avoided.
>
>     4.  Stopping the arms race NOW (ie., the nuclear "Freeze") is the
> 	best way to avoid a nuclear war.
> Therefore:
>     5.  Let's stop the arms race NOW!
>
> This is sloppy thinking at best, deliberate propagandizing at worst.  All
> of us agree on point #3.  Many of us disagree with Tim on point #4.  The
> real issue is not, "should we have a nuclear war," but rather, "what is the
> best way to avoid nuclear war?"
>
> Articles with factual errors
> ("cruise missiles are first-strike weapons") and irrelevancies ("the US
> has 30,000 warheads, the Soviet Union only 25,000") also get in the way.
>
> We all agree that nuclear war is a bad thing.  Now let's talk about the
> real issue.
>
> Scott Renner
> {pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!renner

I think this is an apt summary of my argument. I also think it is a good
statement of the true question: how do we prevent nuclear war?
Does continuing the nuclear arms race make nuclear war more or less likely?
If continuing the nuclear arms race is ,at best , neutral and at worst,
detrimental with respect to preventing nuclear war, then what is the point
for both sides to waste hundreds of billions of dollars on the arms race?
I happen to agree that it is ultimately irrelevant exactly how many warheads
either side has when either side has enough to thoroughly devastate the other.
Unfortunately some people on the net do not accede to that point.
SO: Scott, do you really think that building more nuclear arms makes nuclear
war any less likely?
IF both sides would agree to stop building or developing new nuclear weapons
wouldn't the whole world be better off?
We can consider this problem historically: imagine that both sides had
stopped the nuclear arms race at bombers equipped with nuclear weapons.
Wouldn't we all be safer? We would have far less chance of an accidental
nuclear war--there would be a longer lag time before bombers could reach
their targets--and they *could* be recalled.
Or imagine that Nixon and Kissinger had been more farsighted and agreed to
stop MIRVed weapons before they were deployed by both sides.  We
would not find either sides ICBM forces threatened by a potential
first-strike capability.
Do you have some better answer to preventing nuclear war than stopping
the arms race?

tim sevener whuxl!orb

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (11/28/84)

> We all agree that nuclear war is a bad thing.  Now let's talk about the
> real issue.

The problem is that we   d o n ' t  all agree that nuclear war is a bad thing,
and certainly don't agree as to  h o w  bad it would be.  Didn't you see that
ridiculous article a couple of days back from the fellow who thought that the
"with enough shovels" doctrine was correct?

What Physicians for Social Responsibility and similar groups are trying to do
is sorely needed -- to rub the public's nose in just how serious the threat of
nuclear war really is.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (11/29/84)

In article <333@ut-sally.UUCP> riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
>What Physicians for Social Responsibility and similar groups are trying to do
>is sorely needed -- to rub the public's nose in just how serious the threat of
>nuclear war really is.

Yes indeed, the most important thing to be done *is* to make people aware
of the threat of nuclear weapons. In Europe I think some progress is being
made. That's why we are begining to see more and more protests over here about
the deploying of US nuclear weapons in Europe (for instance by the Greenham
Common women). I would be happier if I heard of more protests about the
British and French nuclear weapons too. The old saying about glass houses
is all too true.

However several doccumentaries about the effects of nuclear war have been
recently screened in top viewing time on television in several European
countries. I remember that in 1968 (?) in Britain a film about the effect
of nuclear war (produced by the BBC) was banned for showing on television
because it was "too frightening". I doubt that this would happen today.
Hopefully the nuclear threat will soon become an election issue. The Labour
party in Britain is committed to removing all US bases and from Britain and
getting rid of the British nuclear weapons. In Sweden (where I now live)
both the public and political opinion is both against nuclear weapons. This
means that Sweden is neither a member of Nato, nor does Sweden have nuclear
weapons.

Do the American people *really* know what the effect of a nuclear war would
be? Not just the size of the bang, but what life would be like afterwards?
Are any serious attempts being made to tell them? Commercials at peak viewing
times etc? These are serious questions, I would like to know.

Mike Williams

robertsb@ttidcb.UUCP (Robin Roberts) (11/29/84)

>> We all agree that nuclear war is a bad thing.  Now let's talk about the
>> real issue.

>The problem is that we   d o n ' t  all agree that nuclear war is a bad thing,
>and certainly don't agree as to  h o w  bad it would be.  Didn't you see that
>ridiculous article a couple of days back from the fellow who thought that the
>"with enough shovels" doctrine was correct?

>What Physicians for Social Responsibility and similar groups are trying to do
>is sorely needed -- to rub the public's nose in just how serious the threat of
>nuclear war really is.

>--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")

WRONG. Quite simply wrong. What is occuring here is what is a historically
repeated mistake. These activist groups are confusing restricted weaponry
with peace. NO treaty agreement restricting type or number of weapons has
ever reduced the suffering of war at any time in our very long history of war.

Nuclear weapons do NOT bring with them any new type of destruction that humans
were not already capable of. The devices in question bring on more of it no
doubt but no fundamentally new suffering ( even nuclear winter is just ANOTHER
in the many ways we alter our environment ). All those who piously exclaim the
horrors of nuclear weapons may be salvaging their social conscience but they
do little other good.

The problem, dear ignorant people, is that man makes war on his neighbors.
That is it. The weapons are insignificant. All those who emphasis the evils
of a particular weapon. Be it chemical, biological or nuclear are nearsighted
fools who make other kinds of war more acceptable by default. Yes, you
read it! They make conventional warfare somewhat MORE acceptable.

Now the first argument from some self appointed apostle is going to be that
at least without nuclear weapons we as a world would have a better chance of
surviving. Baloney. Humanity has survived calamities equal or greater
( relatively ) than a nuclear war and will I'm sure survive far more in the
future. That isn't to say no one will suffer. To the contrary, the human
condition IS suffering some tell us. No, if these "activists" want to aid
humanity then they must change the nature of humanity, its evil nature,
not declaim the evil nature of some weapon type.

Until then I'm afraid I can not take the anti-nuke types seriously because I
don't think they take reality seriously.
--

    Robin D. Roberts                     (213) 450 9111 x 2916
    TTI     Zone V4                     aka Buskirk the Valerian

 UUCP: ..!ucbvax!ihnp4!vortex!ttidca!ttidcb!robertsb
 or  {cadovax,flick,philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex,wtux2}!ttidca!ttidcb!robertsb
 or   ttidca!ttidcb!robertsb@RAND-UNIX.ARPA

renner@uiucdcs.UUCP (11/30/84)

>  Do you have some better answer to preventing nuclear war than stopping
>  the arms race? 		-- Tim Sevener (orb@whuxl)

I believe that to prevent nuclear war we must guard against two things:

    1.  Deliberate first strike by the Soviet Union.
    2.  Accidental war started by either side.

Taken together, these mean that the United States must:

    1.  Maintain a credible second-strike capability.  The Soviet Union
	must be certain that their attack will result in their destruction.

    2.  Avoid constructing a first-strike capability.  The Soviet Union
	must also have a second-strike capability; deterrance must work
	both ways.

My objection to the bilateral, verifiable nuclear freeze is that it is
inferior to the "build-down" proposition.  In order to maintain a
second-strike capability in the face of changing non-nuclear
technology, the US may need to build different weapons.  If the weapons
built are second-strike only, and the weapons removed have first-strike
uses, then the risk of nuclear war is reduced in a fashion impossible
under a freeze.  Indeed, a freeze agreement might *increase* the risk of
war by prohibiting a switch to less-dangerous weapons.

(An example:  our second-strike capability relies heavily on the presumed
invulnerability of the submarine fleet.  SSBNs are "invulnerable" only
because the enemy cannot find them at sea.  But this may not last; a
technique called "synthetic aperture radar" can locate objects at
considerable depths.  We may need to switch from a few large Trident-class
SSBNs to a larger number of smaller, "stealth" submarines.  "Build-down"
would permit this; a freeze would not.)

Now it's up to the freeze proponents.  You need to show why a nuclear
freeze would be better at preventing nuclear war than the "build-down"
approach.  I wish you luck; I believe you will find that *demonstrating*
the advantages of a freeze is more difficult than *assuming* them.

Scott Renner
{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!renner

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (11/30/84)

> > We all agree that nuclear war is a bad thing.  Now let's talk about the
> > real issue.
>
> What Physicians for Social Responsibility and similar groups are trying to do
> is sorely needed -- to rub the public's nose in just how serious the threat of
> nuclear war really is.
>
> --- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")

I disagree with this: all the gruesome depictions of megadeath proffered
by PSR and others do is needlessly frighten people without showing them
any useful action to take.  Psychologists have amply documented the
adverse affects resulting from the helpless fear of nuclear war.  But a
lot of that fear comes from misunderstandings and misinformation provided
by the very people who claim to be most against nuclear war.

The natural response to fear is flight or denial; it seems a lot of
people don't realize this.  Many peace groups certainly don't.  Instead
of rationally trying to figure out how to reduce the danger of nuclear
war, they promulgate terror and offer simplistic solutions without
reasonable plans for implementing them.  Except for a lukewarm support
of the Freeze or some other of these solutions, the average person is
so scared out of her/his wits as to not want to *think* about the
problem.

Not all peace groups are of the ``scare the wits out of them and maybe
they'll *do* something'' school.  Physicians for Social Responsibility
tend to follow this line, however, and with an unbending fervor matched
only by certain anti-abortion groups and the National Rifle Association.

In short, a lot of these discussions seem to be generating a lot of
heat, but little light.  I wish there was an easy solution to the
problem of nuclear weapons, but there isn't.

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

[For those of you who question the objectivity of anyone who works for
The Rand Corporation, let me remind you that (1) I speak for myself,
and not my organization, and (2) a freeze, or an arms reduction,
probably wouldn't affect Rand much in general terms, and might even
bring Rand some contracts studying the various issues implicit in
such things.  In particular, my job would be unaffected.  And for
those of you who don't realize it yet, (3) Rand does *not* produce
nuclear weapons or other weapons systems.]

emks@uokvax.UUCP (12/01/84)

>> Scott Renner writes:
>> Tim's argument is as follows:
>>     1.  Doctors and biologists are the best judge of the health effects
>> 	of nuclear war.
>>     2.  Doctors and biologists agree that a nuclear war would have
>> 	disasterous effects on health care.
>> Therefore:
>>     3.  A nuclear war should be avoided.
>>
>>     4.  Stopping the arms race NOW (ie., the nuclear "Freeze") is the
>> 	best way to avoid a nuclear war.
>> Therefore:
>>     5.  Let's stop the arms race NOW!
>>
>> This is sloppy thinking at best, deliberate propagandizing at worst.  All
>> of us agree on point #3.  Many of us disagree with Tim on point #4.  The
>> real issue is not, "should we have a nuclear war," but rather, "what is the
>> best way to avoid nuclear war?"

>> Scott Renner
>> {pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!renner
>
>I think this is an apt summary of my argument. I also think it is a good
>statement of the true question: how do we prevent nuclear war?
>Does continuing the nuclear arms race make nuclear war more or less likely?
>If continuing the nuclear arms race is ,at best , neutral and at worst,
>detrimental with respect to preventing nuclear war, then what is the point
>for both sides to waste hundreds of billions of dollars on the arms race?

Even your question is begging!  First of all, you haven't convinced me in
your myriad of postings that the "arms race," "government contractors,"
or anyone in the defense establishment is to blame for some possible nuclear
war.  When weapons sit, they age.  Once they age, there's a tendency to
at least consider their use before their effectiveness is lost to better
construction technology or sheer age of equipment.  [I'm not TRYING to paint
a concrete argument against the freeze.]

>I happen to agree that it is ultimately irrelevant exactly how many warheads
>either side has when either side has enough to thoroughly devastate the other.
>Unfortunately some people on the net do not accede to that point.

I don't accede either.  You've been spouting your "expertise" just as much
as Milo has.  So, you "know" that we can thoroughly devastate the other?
The n x Hiroshima argument is thoroughly flawed--even if you won't admit it.
There are many problems which are unknown, not the least is PTP and WSR which
are truely unknowns [i.e. probably (hopefully) will never be known].  Others
are less difficult, but still "tough," like the fratricide-at-hard-targets
problem.

>SO: Scott, do you really think that building more nuclear arms makes nuclear
>war any less likely?
>IF both sides would agree to stop building or developing new nuclear weapons
>wouldn't the whole world be better off?
>We can consider this problem historically: imagine that both sides had
>stopped the nuclear arms race at bombers equipped with nuclear weapons.
>Wouldn't we all be safer? We would have far less chance of an accidental
>nuclear war--there would be a longer lag time before bombers could reach
>their targets--and they *could* be recalled.

Yes, that would be "nice," but there are bad side effects to be considered,
too.  Imagine that Kremlin leaders sit down one morning, under the conditions
you just laid out, and said "Ve haf decided to bomb poopski out of U.S.A.
and extend our control to include Western Europe."  Well, NATO changed their
strategy many moons ago to call for nuclear [weap] power to substitute for
a large standing army which the NATO-member countries could not afford.
This means that the S.U. could send some divisions across the borders and
be countered by a NATO force which is certainly inferior in numbers.

The U.S. threatens and eventually launches its B-52s or whatever and strikes
in appropriate measure.

The Kremlin leaders would be sitting around discussing what would be "accept-
able losses" from the strike, and would probably decline to negotiate.  The
intelligence lead time of bombers is tremendous, and C-C functions can be
transferred to sites deemed not at risk.  In addition, by using bombers
without an initial nuclear strike (much as the "softening of the beaches"
during the invasion of Gold beach), the PTP and related factors decrease
tremendously.

>Or imagine that Nixon and Kissinger had been more farsighted and agreed to
>stop MIRVed weapons before they were deployed by both sides.  We
>would not find either sides ICBM forces threatened by a potential
>first-strike capability.

Wrong, flame-bait-breath.  MIRVed weapons are more "attractive" targets
than, say, a Titan II, since one hit kills (for example) three warheads.
But eliminating MIRVed weapons doesn't eliminate the potential first strike.
Large weapons systems, special SIGINT, C-C centers, or other sites would
become more attractive.  Some of them are probably located near your home town,
Tim.

>Do you have some better answer to preventing nuclear war than stopping
>the arms race?

Yes.  Rational thinking, negotiations, and perhaps build-down.  (I haven't had
time to give that last one a lot of thought, yet.  I intend to devote some
vacation time to it soon...)

		kurt <emks@uokvax>

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (12/02/84)

> Now it's up to the freeze proponents.  You need to show why a nuclear
> freeze would be better at preventing nuclear war than the "build-down"
> approach.  I wish you luck; I believe you will find that *demonstrating*
> the advantages of a freeze is more difficult than *assuming* them.
>
> Scott Renner
> {pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!renner

What advantage does build-down have over tear-down?  Keeps the companies
building bombs happy, I s'pose.

Current weapons have decent accuracy and tremendous destructive capability.
If you are interested in reducing nuclear weapons to a "safe" level, why take
the "two steps forward, one step back" approach?

Admittedly, a freeze followed by a tear-down would need to keep in
consideration the fact that weapons may simply get old.  This might be taken
care of by building weapons identical to the ones wearing out.  Introducing
physically smaller, more accurate weaponry will hardly help reduce tensions.

However, it may come to light after a negotiated freeze that some kind of new
weapons system does have stability enhancing effects.  In that case, an
exception to the freeze could be negotiated if both sides developed such a
weapon in cooperation.  This scenario seems rather unlikely, in my opinion.
It would be better if we collaborated on growing food more efficiently, or
setting up a lunar colony.

Now it's up to the build-down proponents.  How is building weapons which
are better at destroying things going to make the world safer?  How does
building newer, better weapons aid stability?

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of my employers.

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (12/05/84)

================
 ... Baloney. Humanity has survived calamities equal or greater
( relatively ) than a nuclear war and will I'm sure survive far more in the
future....

Until then I'm afraid I can not take the anti-nuke types seriously because I
don't think they take reality seriously.
--

    Robin D. Roberts                     (213) 450 9111 x 2916
================
Please give an example of a catastrophe greater than Nuclear Winter
that humanity has survived (even relatively).  And don't weasel out of it by
claiming WWII was a nuclear war because the USA dropped its whole
nuclear arsenal in that war.  We are talking about the possible
elimination of animal life from the world, here, and the certain
elimination of civilization.

Who is it that should take reality seriously?
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

robertsb@ttidcb.UUCP (Robin Roberts) (12/10/84)

>================
> ... Baloney. Humanity has survived calamities equal or greater
>( relatively ) than a nuclear war and will I'm sure survive far more in the
>future....

>Until then I'm afraid I can not take the anti-nuke types seriously because I
>don't think they take reality seriously.
>--

>    Robin D. Roberts
>================
>Please give an example of a catastrophe greater than Nuclear Winter
>that humanity has survived (even relatively).  And don't weasel out of it by
>claiming WWII was a nuclear war because the USA dropped its whole
>nuclear arsenal in that war.  We are talking about the possible
>elimination of animal life from the world, here, and the certain
>elimination of civilization.

>Who is it that should take reality seriously?
>--

>Martin Taylor
>{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt
>{uw-beaver,qucis,watmath}!utcsrgv!dciem!mmt

You should pay more attention to reality than irrational slogans.

Examples of worst catastrophes that humans have survived:
	The last Ice Age.

But that is not the point of the article that Mr Taylor so easily ignores.
The point is that weapons aren't significant. Nuclear devices introduce NO
fundamentally new form of suffering to mankind that we haven't already
experienced. The peoples of sub-Saharan Africa are today suffering from what
would probably kill more people after a world-wide nuclear war than the blast
effects and radiation that form the basis of most irrational fears. And the
disruption of economy and agriculture that causes famine certainly wasn't
introduced by nuclear weapons.

WWII DID bring death, famine and maiming injuries to probably over 100 million
people and all with conventional human destruction. The bombs of Hiroshima and
Nagasaki are insignificant.

People who loudly declaim nuclear weapons and ignoring the real issue in favor
of assuaging their upper class guilt with irrationality.

If they wanted peace as much as they claimed they would fight for it and
freedom but instead they truly seek superficial causes with slogans they can
comprehend. Peace requires an investment of time in understanding not a $2.00
bumper sticker.
--

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (12/14/84)

>>Please give an example of a catastrophe greater than Nuclear Winter
>>that humanity has survived (even relatively).  And don't weasel out of it by
>>claiming WWII was a nuclear war because the USA dropped its whole
>>nuclear arsenal in that war.  We are talking about the possible
>>elimination of animal life from the world, here, and the certain
>>elimination of civilization.
>
>>Who is it that should take reality seriously?
>>--
>
>>Martin Taylor
>You should pay more attention to reality than irrational slogans.
>
>Examples of worst catastrophes that humans have survived:
>        The last Ice Age.
>
>But that is not the point of the article that Mr Taylor so easily ignores.
>The point is that weapons aren't significant. Nuclear devices introduce NO
>fundamentally new form of suffering to mankind that we haven't already
>experienced. The peoples of sub-Saharan Africa are today suffering from what
>would probably kill more people after a world-wide nuclear war than the blast
>effects and radiation that form the basis of most irrational fears. And the
>disruption of economy and agriculture that causes famine certainly wasn't
>>introduced by nuclear weapons.
>
>WWII DID bring death, famine and maiming injuries to probably over 100 million
>people and all with conventional human destruction. The bombs of Hiroshima and
>Nagasaki are insignificant.
>
>People who loudly declaim nuclear weapons and ignoring the real issue in favor
>of assuaging their upper class guilt with irrationality.
>
>    Robin D. Roberts                     (213) 450 9111 x 2916

Isn't there a degree of irrationality in proclaiming the last Ice Age
(during which the climate was quite good over much of the world) as
a greater disaster than the possible elimination of all animal life?

Granted we all will die in the end, perhaps it doesn't matter that we
may all do it in the same few months.  But from the point of view of
humanity (or animalkind), I think dying along with all our children
is a worse disaster than famines or Ice Ages.

The fact that the Nuclear Winter simulations are not perfect does not
mean that they are false.  The better the simulations since the original
publication, the worse seem to be the results.