[net.politics] 3rd world savages

raghu@rlgvax.UUCP (Raghu Raghunathan) (11/14/84)

> Listen, turkey, my family comes from the 3rd world (Libya and Turkey  to
> be  exact).   The  3rd  world  sucks,  and  we  are glad not to be there
> anymore.

	Just because your family comes from the 3rd world is no excuse or
	justification for your obnoxious statements. Your posting was
	obnoxious regardless of which part of the world your family comes
	from.

> A large part of my family was killed from 1948-1968 for the crime of not
> being Muslim so tell me these people are not savages.

	I am sorry a large part of your family was killed, but again that
	is no reason to brand all 3rd world as savages. I know a lot of
	Indians (including some of my closest family friends and relations)
	killed by the British in the Indian struggle for independence,
	for absoultely no valid reason but you don't see me calling the
	British savages.

> Perhaps,  India  should be returned to British
> rule.  The Brits seem to have done a  lot  better  job  at  running  the
> subcontinent than the locals are doing now.

	That vividly displays your ignorance of Indian history. A lot more
	innocent Indians were killed by the British (for non-violent non-
	cooperation). In contrast only a handful of British soldiers were
	killed in the independence struggle. (Remember Jalianwalla Bagh
	massacre - I would be glad to refresh your memory). Please confine
	your postings to things that you know for sure; it's obivious that
	you don't know a whole lot about the conflicts in India - so stay off
	that topic.

	In summary, I don't think anyone in the world deserves to be called
	a savage (though I can think of one exception right now).

	(PS: My original posting had nothing to do with India, and your
	reference to it in your reply was unwarranted. But, if you really
	want to start a discussion on the details of the Indian conflicts
	through history, I'll be glad to oblige and bring you to your knees)

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (11/15/84)

Good for you, putting him in his place.

Nevertheless, and not wanting to minimize the sufferings of your family, you
can't deny that, while the British did maintain their hold over India by
occasionally brutal (dare I say thuggish?) means, the real massacres, I
mean the hundreds-of-thousands-killed massacres, took place between
Indians, or Indians and Pakistanis, *after* the British left. Say what
you like about imperialists, they do tend to keep the natives from each
others' throats.

myers@uwvax.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (11/16/84)

> Good for you, putting him in his place.
>
> Nevertheless, and not wanting to minimize the sufferings of your family, you
> can't deny that, while the British did maintain their hold over India by
> occasionally brutal (dare I say thuggish?) means, the real massacres, I
> mean the hundreds-of-thousands-killed massacres, took place between
> Indians, or Indians and Pakistanis, *after* the British left. Say what
> you like about imperialists, they do tend to keep the natives from each
> others' throats.

Hmm.  Yes, I suppose that external aggression tends to unite a country's
people, as evidenced by the recent elections in Nicaragua, which have been
conclusively shown to have been fair (from all I have read, e.g. the New York
Times).

An example of "natives" being at each other's throat is, of course, the battle
of blue and grey in the US Civil War.  I must admit that although I am an
avowed enemy of the militarism in today's societies, I am fascinated by the
strategic and tactical aspects of war, especially the Civil War.
Goddam 1st world savages and their "civilized" wars!

Love / Hate relationship I suppose...

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of my employers.

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (11/16/84)

Well, turkey, if you had read the original article, you would have noted
I said Reagan has given 3rd world savages the kick in the ass they
deserve.  I did not say all people from the third world are savages.

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (11/16/84)

By the way,  whilemore Indians were killed by British than British by
Indians.  The number of these deaths was far exceded by the number of
Indians killed by Indians during the  ensuing disorders when the British
granted independence.

raghu@rlgvax.UUCP (Raghu Raghunathan) (11/16/84)

> > Say what
> > you like about imperialists, they do tend to keep the natives from each
> > others' throats.

	Agreed. But they kept "peace" through complete dominance and with
	a heavy handed rule. In my opinion conflicts and blood-shed are part
	of the growth of every free country and in the long run better than
	"peace thru dominance".

	I could argue that Abraham Lincoln, had he imposed military rule
	in America just before the civil war and ruled as a dictator (assuming
	that is possible in America), could have maintained "peace" and
	avioded all the violence and killing that went with the civil war.
	But I am sure everyone will agree that having a civil war and getting
	the differences out in the open was far better in the long run.

	It is a similar case now in many 3rd world countries. You must keep in
	mind that Independent India is less than 40 years old, and as such
	is experiencing growing pains and the turmoil that go with it. As
	things get consolidated and the people become more mature, things will
	stabilize just as they did in America. America may be a "almost perfect
	democracy" now, but it wasn't so not too many years back.

	What bugs me about the American government is that they go about
	criticizing the "human rights violation" in 3rd world countries without
	stopping to consider that America has had a good human rights record
	only in the past few decades. Americans should be more understanding
	and give the 3rd world countries a chance to grow up and mature. I am
	sure after 200 years of democracy, India will become a far better
	society than it is now, just as did America.

ram@decvax.UUCP (Ram Rao) (11/17/84)

In article <mit-herm.2231> jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) writes:
>Good for you, putting him in his place.
>
>Nevertheless, and not wanting to minimize the sufferings of your family, you
>can't deny that, while the British did maintain their hold over India by
>occasionally brutal (dare I say thuggish?) means, the real massacres, I
>mean the hundreds-of-thousands-killed massacres, took place between
>Indians, or Indians and Pakistanis, *after* the British left. Say what
>you like about imperialists, they do tend to keep the natives from each
>others' throats.

On the contrary, the British kept the "natives" at each others throats.

The British are (at least partly) to blame for the Hindu-Muslim massacres
that killed hundreds-of-thousands.  In the period following the Muslim
invasion in the 15th century and preceding British colonial rule in the
18th century, how many documented instances are there of communal strife?
The strategy of "divided they fall" was a major vehicle for Britain retaining
control over India.  As India was heading for independence under the
leadership of freedom fighters such as Mahatma Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru and
Mohammed Ali Jinnah (among others), it was the British that planted seeds
of distrust in Jinnah's mind.  They questioned the status minority (25%)
Muslims would have in an independent India where Hindus were the majority;
despite the secular constitution that had been promised.  The result:
Jinnah demanded a separate Muslim state and Pakistan was carved out of
India (consisting of the areas of high Muslim population).  The massive
relocations of tens of millions of people who happened to live in an
area which would become a country they did not care for, ignited the
massacres.

Prior to independence, a fellow officer of my (Indian) dad (who happened
to be British) remarked: if you Indians would only spit together, Britain
would be drowned.

Ram Rao
decvax!ram

raghu@rlgvax.UUCP (Raghu Raghunathan) (11/18/84)

> On the contrary, the British kept the "natives" at each others throats.
>
> The strategy of "divided they fall" was a major vehicle for Britain retaining
> control over India.

	The major policy of the British Rule in India was "Divide and Rule",
	a dictum well known to any student of Indian (or British?) history.
	They tried hard to foster suspicion and distrust among Indians in
	different parts of the country and thus keep them separate. There
	are many instances where the British would befriend a small Indian
	kingdom and encourage it to attack its neighbouring kingdom. A bitter
	war would follow. And at the end of it, when both the kingdoms were
	exhausted and spent, the British would move in and take them both
	over. (A policy not unlike the one the CIA and the KGB are following
	now with small third world nations)

	The British were probably afraid (and rightly so) that if Indians were
	allowed to join forces against them, they wouldn't have a ghost of
	a chance.

	Whether this is envisioned as "keeping natives at each others throats"
	or "keeping natives away from each others throats" is a moot point.

								- raghu

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (11/18/84)

The  British  would  not have been successful in poisoning Muhammed `Ali
Jinnah's mind against the Muslims if he did not have legitimate  grounds
for worry about Hindu (and Sikh) feelings about Muslims.

The  history  of  Muslim/Hindu  relations  in  Western  India before the
British is particularly replete with Muslim  slaughter  of  Hindus.   In
fact,  the  Islamicization  of Sindh is replete with some of the largest
massacres in history.

This is perhaps  an  example  of  the  most  successful  imperialism  in
history.   The  descendents  of  the  conquered  and  colonized  Sindhis
consider themselves to have been saved from their own native culture!.

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (11/20/84)

	It is a similar case now in many 3rd world countries. You must keep in
	mind that Independent India is less than 40 years old, and as such
	is experiencing growing pains and the turmoil that go with it. As
	things get consolidated and the people become more mature, things will
	stabilize ...

That is, savagery in India should be excused because after  all  Indians
are  primitive savages who have only had a nation for 40 years.  Well, I
don't buy it.  Indian civilization is thousands of years old and demands
much  better  behavior  of Indians than they have shown.  To expect less
from Indians is condescending.

					Americans should be more understanding
	and give the 3rd world countries a chance to grow up and mature. I am
	sure after 200 years of democracy, India will become a far better
	society than it is now, just as did America.

Truly,  less  than  50  years ago, a large part of the Western World was
acting  like  animalistic  barbarians.   Yet  nowadays  in  first  world
countries such savagery is practically unknown, and in the few instances
where  such  barbarism  has  appeared  large  sections  of  first  world
populations  have  striven  to  stamp  it out.  No similar opposition or
remorse for 3rd world savagery appears in 3rd world nations.

There is no excuse for such absence.  The West  only  has  technological
competence  over the Eastern cultures which are generally older and more
sophisticated in many  respects.   Rationalizations  and  apologies  for
third world behavior is insipid and insulting to 3rd worlders.

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (11/22/84)

If  Wayne  read the articles, I said Islam would have to undergo a major
reform or the  religion  would  have  to  be  stamped  out  (not  Muslim
peoples).

Having  requirements  to  conquer  your non-Muslim neighbors (if you can
win) and then to degrade and humiliate  non-Muslim  subjects  definitely
makes Islam religio non grata.

One  could  argue  that  Christianity  had  to wait until the eighteenth
century to overcome many similar  prejudices.   But  even  though  Islam
became  a  state religion several centuries later than Christianity, the
sort of ethical development I would like to  see  is  a  fairly  obvious
reform even for a young religion.

By the way, my mother's family a few decades ago were troglodytes living
in Southern Libya.  None of us engage in or would try to  apologize  for
or  rationalize  the  type  of disgusting barbarism which takes place in
large parts of the third-world.

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (11/29/84)

John Purbrick writes:

> imperialists do give their former
> subjects something worth having; the concept of individual rights

Whoa!  Hasty generalization!  German (in Africa), Belgian (Congo), Dutch
(East Indies) imperialism notably gave their colonies NOTHING in the way
of ethical ideas or political institutions.  In the wake of the genocidal
result of the Spanish conquest & its colonial system (which virtually en-
slaved Indians), not much can be credited to Spanish rule, either.

The French "mission civilistrice" was more savage than British imperial-
ism, & any "good effects" it may have had are certainly moot, to say the
least.  I'm not sure how Portugese colonies fared (Brazil was one of the
last countries to abolish slavery) but Mozambique & Angola weren't left
with much of a legacy, as far as I can see.

What about the British empire?  A lot of the details of conquest & colonial
rule are not widely known.  One particularly obscure horror story is the
British destruction of the city-state of Benin in West Africa: it had over
a million inhabitants, & was one of the largest urban centers in the world
at the time.  I believe the British slaughtered all adult males, sold
everyone else into slavery, & razed the city.  Most of the historical
records describing the holocaust are in Spanish; & until the late 60s,
scholars apparently didn't see fit to make them available in English, if
they knew about the event at all.  In Tasmania, aboriginal inhabitants
were hunted like animals to extinction by early settlers.

For a fictional view of the annihilatory war that Germans waged against
natives in Southwest Africa at the turn of century, see Thomas Pynchon's
novel V.

After destruction & slaughter on such a scale, does it make much sense
to "weigh" possibly beneficial effects of imperialism?

A second point I'd like to rebut concerns JP's remarks on "divide & rule":

"Divide & rule" was a policy EXPLICITLY used by British conquerors (Clive
in India) and the succeeding colonial rulers, both to initially conquer &
to later assure colonial rule.  I believe it was fairly common for admini-
strators to publically cite "divide & rule" as a technique for ruling.

Some of the later conflicts between ethnic groups were created in fact
by the artificial unions & boundaries created by British conquest: Ni-
geria is probably the most famous example.  How about "divide & conquer,
then rule & divide & rule" ?

					Ron Rizzo

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (11/30/84)

Nice theory that the colonial powers are responsible for third world
civil wars by playing up animosities between various factions. Let's
conduct a quick thought experiment to check it.  If this were indeed
the case, it would be expected that third world countries without
lengthy domination by colonial powers would be relatively free of
factional violence. There are a few of those countries, (e.g.
Ethiopia, Thailand), and they appear as violent as the third world in
general. Thus, we can conclude that the EVIDENCE does not warrant
assigning the blame exclusively to Imperialism.

					David Rubin

donn@utah-gr.UUCP (Donn Seeley) (12/05/84)

From David Rubin:

	Nice theory that the colonial powers are responsible for third
	world civil wars by playing up animosities between various
	factions. Let's conduct a quick thought experiment to check
	it.  If this were indeed the case, it would be expected that
	third world countries without lengthy domination by colonial
	powers would be relatively free of factional violence. There
	are a few of those countries, (e.g.  Ethiopia, Thailand), and
	they appear as violent as the third world in general. Thus, we
	can conclude that the EVIDENCE does not warrant assigning the
	blame exclusively to Imperialism.

Assuming my argument is the one being discussed here, I want to say
first that I never claimed that the blame for factional violence
belongs 'exclusively to Imperialism.' I simply said that imperialism
aggravates post-independence violence.  Perhaps I should make it clear
that the kind of violence I am referring to is the kind of massive
bloodshed that makes people go out and kill their neighbors because
they belong to a different religion or political party; society goes
temporarily insane and people get butchered right and left.  The kind
of violence based on regional differences has gone on for centuries and
will undoubtedly continue as long as men make war.  Societies often
fight each other, but they typically don't commit suicide; it's the
latter kind of violence that seems to be the result of colonialism.

To take one of your examples, Thailand has suffered from the violence
of secessionist hill tribes in the north and secessionist Malays and
Chinese in the south, but it has avoided the mass slaughter that took
place in Indonesia during and especially at the end of Sukarno's
'presidency', or the bloodbaths in Bangladesh or Cambodia or Uganda or
Zaire, etc.  Thailand is far safer than any of its neighbors.  It seems
to me that Ethiopia has suffered mainly from secessionists in Eritrea
and the Ogaden, but I don't know as much about the country.  I notice
you didn't mention Japan or Tonga or Nepal in your examples...

I will agree that it's easy to oversimplify these problems, and I
perhaps I have done so to a small degree, but these responses are
attempting to treat the extreme oversimplification of the original
postings...

Donn Seeley    University of Utah CS Dept    donn@utah-cs.arpa
40 46' 6"N 111 50' 34"W    (801) 581-5668    decvax!utah-cs!donn

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (12/15/84)

>> If  Wayne  read the articles, I said Islam would have to undergo a major
>> reform or the  religion  would  have  to  be  stamped  out  (not  Muslim
>> peoples).
>>
>> Having  requirements  to  conquer  your non-Muslim neighbors (if you can
>> win) and then to degrade and humiliate  non-Muslim  subjects  definitely
>> makes Islam religio non grata.
>>
>> One  could  argue  that  Christianity  had  to wait until the eighteenth
>> century to overcome many similar  prejudices.   But  even  though  Islam
>> became  a  state religion several centuries later than Christianity, the
>> sort of ethical development I would like to  see  is  a  fairly  obvious
>> reform even for a young religion.
>>
>> By the way, my mother's family a few decades ago were troglodytes living
>> in Southern Libya.  None of us engage in or would try to  apologize  for
>> or  rationalize  the  type  of disgusting barbarism which takes place in
>> large parts of the third-world.

>You've been making a lot of statements to the effect that "Islam should
>be wiped out", but here you say that this means the religon, not the
>people. How do you propose to do it? The only way you will ever be able
>to bring this about is by eliminating the practicers of Islam. (At least
>within any reasonable time.) The Moslems who you are criticizing are
>certainly a minority -- there are lots of perfectly peaceful and reasonable
>people of every religon. Any way you look at it, what you are calling for
>is genocide.

Because  of  historical and current Muslim mistreat of nonMuslims, after
Khomeini's seizure of  power,  after  the  assassination  of  Sadat  and
because  of numerous other incidents in Muslim nations, I am not so sure
of the minority status of the crazies although I  will  concede  Wayne's
opinion  was the common wisdom as little as ten years ago.  I know there
are many peaceful and reasonable Muslims.   My  father  does  a  lot  of
business  in Muslim countries and we have many Muslim family friends.  I
simply suspect that peaceful and reasonable  Muslims  are  peaceful  and
reasonable despite Islam.  A popular turn of the century Ottoman opinion
blamed Islam for almost everything  that  was  wrong  with  the  Ottoman
Empire  and  with  the  Islamic  world  in  general.  Careful reading of
Al-Afghani and `Abdu suggest that neither would  have  been  particulary
opposed  to  a  thorough-going  reform  of  Islam  as  I have suggested.

In  the  19th  century  noone  was willing to pander the crazies the way
people do nowadays.