[net.politics] Reagan's re-election

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (11/07/84)

<...>

Herewith I want to express my deepest feelings for all those poor and
innocent people who are going to die in the next four years throughout
the world and specifically in Central America.... only because of the
re-election of Reagan.
I also want to express my disgust for all those Americans who, by voting
for this man, are co-responsible for the deaths of all those people.

America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
have to be proud of.

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (11/09/84)

> Herewith I want to express my deepest feelings for all those poor and
> innocent people who are going to die in the next four years throughout
> the world and specifically in Central America.... only because of the
> re-election of Reagan.
> I also want to express my disgust for all those Americans who, by voting
> for this man, are co-responsible for the deaths of all those people.
>
> America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
> have to be proud of.
>
> --
> 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
> 	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

I wish you would try to avoid this sort of nationalistic cross-Atlantic
name calling. I wouldn't say that Reagan's victory made me very happy
either, but I think that calling this a black day in America's history
and saying that Americans have nothing to be proud of is pretty strong
language from somebody who is leading a comfortable life and not
working in the slave-mines in Siberia only because of American power.
I could spend a lot of time criticizing the Dutch government and such
things as legalized prostitution and drugs in the Netherlands, but I
think that this sort of discussion has no place on an international
network, and I hope I don't see any more of it.

	Wayne

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (11/09/84)

'balckest day in history'?  Come on now!  You guys across the ditch
must have inhaled something  Reagan will act on behalf of US National
interests, just as mondale would have.  All this garbage about
Central America ais hysterics.  You people have little right to
criticize defense policy as we pay for yours!

					Milo

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (11/10/84)

> Herewith I want to express my deepest feelings for all those poor and
> innocent people who are going to die in the next four years throughout
> the world and specifically in Central America.... only because of the
> re-election of Reagan.

    I share Piet's frustration and helplessness. It looks like our
government is hell-bent on treating Central America like they were a
small businessman who stopped paying his protection. ("Those are nice
teachers and children you have there...")

Analytically though, I have to disagree with Piet on two points:

1) It is not *only* because of Reagan. This is not a matter of personal pre-
   ference on his part: our government's control in its sphere of influence
   is at stake. A Democrat might have brought a different personal
   style to the job, but he still would hve had the same job to do (defend
   the sphere of influence) and the same resources to do it with (money and
   weapons). The problem here is the system of domination, not the senile
   chief salesman for the system.

> I also want to express my disgust for all those Americans who, by voting
> for this man, are co-responsible for the deaths of all those people.
>
> America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
> have to be proud of.

2) Our country has dragged our government kicking and screaming out of
   Nicaragua before. (1930's) We also dragged presidents Johnson and Nixon
   kicking and screaming out of Vietnam. I expect we'll do it again.

   [The Nicaraguan people understand this. While travelling there
   I heard a lot of bitter complaints about my government, but
   nobody ever took it out on me as an American. Nor did anybody
   suggest counter-terrorism against *our* country.]

   But unfortunately it takes time. Enough time to do bad harm to
hundreds of thousands of victims (including the marines who will be
told that they are dying for our country, and the middle class here
who will be ripped off for an obscene amount of our paychecks, and of
course the Central Americans themselves).

Finally, some of our own history, in hopes of remembering more and
re-living less:

    Our ministers accredited to the five little republics... have been
    advisors whose advice has been accepted virtually as law... We do
    control the destinies of Central America and we do so for the simple
    reason that the national interest absolutely dictates such a course...
    Until now, Central America has always understood that governments
    which we recognize and support stay in power, while those we do
    not recognize and support fall.
			-- State Department memorandum, 1927
			   quoted in El Salvador, the Face of Revolution
			   Armstrong & Schenk, South End Press, Boston

    Sure He[Somoza]'s a son of a bitch, but he's *our* son of a bitch.
			-- Franklin D Roosevelt
--
	Dr Memory
	...{amd,ucbvax,ihnp4}!qubix!jdb

vassos@utcsrgv.UUCP (Vassos Hadzilacos) (11/10/84)

>  You people have little right to
> criticize defense policy as we pay for yours!
>

> 					Milo

Thank you very much Mr. Medin for paying for `our' defence.
We feel we are in eternal debt to You for being oh, so generous.
We hope Your magnanimous kindness did not cause You any great
inconvenience.

Now, it might not have crossed You mind (pardon the thought)
that we aren't very happy that You are paying for our
defence, and that we would very much like to get rid of
various aspects of Your trully selfless kindness, such as
Pershing II peacekeepers, Cruise liberators, F-18 freedom fighters
etc. Of course, it's always difficult to refuse expensive gifts
from one's good friends but really, Mr. Medin, it wasn't worth
Your trouble, You know what I mean?

May I humbly suggest that You would make us much, oh so
much happier, if You kept Your expensive gifts and
spent Your precious money on activities less frivolous than
the defense of ungrateful barbarians. We feel we're big
kids now, we can sort of take care of ourselves. Thank You.

Vassos Hadzilacos
Another ungrateful military aid welfare bum.

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (11/11/84)

In article <6166@mcvax.UUCP> piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) writes:
>Herewith I want to express my deepest feelings for all those poor and
>innocent people who are going to die in the next four years throughout
>the world and specifically in Central America.... only because of the
>re-election of Reagan.
>I also want to express my disgust for all those Americans who, by voting
>for this man, are co-responsible for the deaths of all those people.
>
>America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
>have to be proud of.

	Statements such as this that offer an utter absence of support
or justification for the sentiments expressed remind me of a statement
of Winston Churchill's, regarding an MP:

	"He has the gift for compressing a maximum of words into
a minimum of thought."

(Quoted as closely as memory serves)

--

[     I am not a stranger, but a friend you haven't met yet     ]

Ray Simard
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!simard

...Though we may sometimes disagree,
   You are still a friend to me!

myers@uwvax.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (11/12/84)

> 'balckest day in history'?  Come on now!  You guys across the ditch
> must have inhaled something  Reagan will act on behalf of US National
> interests, just as mondale would have.  All this garbage about
> Central America ais hysterics.  You people have little right to
> criticize defense policy as we pay for yours!
>

> 					Milo

Europeans have every right to criticize our defense policies, as it is much
more likely to directly affect them than us.  How would you like it if France
(for instance) intended to house nuclear-tipped cruise missles in your town?

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of my employers.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/14/84)

> Europeans have every right to criticize our defense policies, as it is much
> more likely to directly affect them than us.  How would you like it if France
> (for instance) intended to house nuclear-tipped cruise missles in your town?

What is odd in this case is that the Europeans are more critical of their
allies than they are of their adversaries.  Going on with your analogy, yes
I would be concerned if France did that.  I would be much more concerned,
however, if Cuba pointed high-yield, MIRVed ICBM's *at* my home town.  Yet
few Europeanse that I've met are very concerned about those inconspicuous
SS-20's...
--
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"His mind is like a steel trap: full of mice" -Foghorn Leghorn

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (11/14/84)

In article <106@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:

>> Europeans have every right to criticize our defense policies, as it is much
>> more likely to directly affect them than us.  How would you like it if France
>> (for instance) intended to house nuclear-tipped cruise missles in your town?
>>

>What is odd in this case is that the Europeans are more critical of their
>allies than they are of their adversaries.  Going on with your analogy, yes
>I would be concerned if France did that.  I would be much more concerned,
>however, if Cuba pointed high-yield, MIRVed ICBM's *at* my home town.  Yet
>few Europeanse that I've met are very concerned about those inconspicuous
>SS-20's...
>--
>			Greg Kuperberg

Not odd at all, Greg!  Some Europeans of this day, (unfortunately some
of the more vocal ones, both on the net, and in the populace at large),
seem to have the typical European attitude, of "Well, if I don't annoy
the bear by holding this rifle here, he won't try to have me for dinner,
you see".

This is also called the Neville Chamberlain policy, and strangely enough,
Europe has been seriously afflicted with it, (with occasionaly outbreaks
in the US), before BOTH World Wars in this century.

Of course, they don't have to worry too hard, there's always the U.S.
across the sea to bail them out...  (may not be time for that this
time though!)

						-JCP-

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (11/15/84)

<...>

	>All this garbage about Central America ais hysterics.
I'll come back on it.... as soon as US terrorists have invaded Nicaragua.

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (11/15/84)

	>I could spend a lot of time criticizing the Dutch government and such
	>things as legalized prostitution and drugs in the Netherlands
Where? Facts please!

--

vassos@utcsrgv.UUCP (Vassos Hadzilacos) (11/16/84)

>> Europeans have every right to criticize our defense policies, as it is much
>> more likely to directly affect them than us.
>
> What is odd in this case is that the Europeans are more critical of their
> allies than they are of their adversaries [...]
> few Europeanse that I've met are very concerned about those inconspicuous
> SS-20's...

Maybe Europeans (as well as other `U.S. allies' who feel the same way)
have reasons not to be `very concerned about those incospicuous SS-20's'?
Maybe you've been taken for a ride all along about the `Soviet threat'?

I don't know if you realize how arrogant and patronizing it is to be
telling others what they should be concerend with, especially when
it is clear (from their viewpoint, anyhow) that your suggestions of
who they should consider their friends and who their enemies are hardly
disinterested.

Vassos Hadzilacos

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (11/16/84)

In article <106@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:

>What is odd in this case is that the Europeans are more critical of their
>allies than they are of their adversaries.

Sorry, I don't think that the placement of US nuclear weapons in Europe is
being done to defend Western Europe. I believe that whereas these weapons
might possibly be regarded as a part of the US defence, their presence in
Western Europe is a threat to us over here.

We would be better off defending ourselves from the Eastern Block (which I
detest) by ourselves without any so called "help" from the other side of the
Atlantic. Please keep your missiles where they belong - over there.

Mike Williams
Stockholm, Sweden.

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (11/17/84)

> 	>I could spend a lot of time criticizing the Dutch government and such
> 	>things as legalized prostitution and drugs in the Netherlands
> Where? Facts please!
>
> --
> 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
> 	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

Facts? I've walked through Amsterdam, and I've seen the heroin pushers that
hang out near the police station... Also the 1/5 of Dutch citizens that are
on welfare... But I'm not supposed to be criticizing -- maybe you are the
sort of person who enjoys nationalistic self-righteousness, but I'd rather
discuss substantial matters and not resort to the sort of name-calling that
you enjoy subjecting people to.

	Wayne

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/17/84)

> Sorry, I don't think that the placement of US nuclear weapons in Europe is
> being done to defend Western Europe. I believe that whereas these weapons
> might possibly be regarded as a part of the US defence, their presence in
> Western Europe is a threat to us over here.
>
> We would be better off defending ourselves from the Eastern Block (which I
> detest) by ourselves without any so called "help" from the other side of the
> Atlantic. Please keep your missiles where they belong - over there.
>
> Mike Williams
> Stockholm, Sweden.

That is precisely what the missiles are there for.  Granted that we can
already demolish the Russian cities with the missiles on our continent, the
cruise missiles are there to hit Russian missile silos.  In turn, these
Russian missile silos are pointed at Western Europe and are in fact too far
away to hit the U.S.

You may ask at this point, "If the U.S. can hit the U.S.S.R from North
America, why do they have missiles in Europe?"  The answer is
detectability.  Cruise missiles are designed to get by the radar, and they
are not long range.  On the other hand, since Pershings are detectable,
they have to be able to strike quickly, which again means that they need to
be close to the Soviet border.

May I remind you of the politics of just a year or two ago?  The Soviets
offered the zero option, which meant that the U.S. would have zero missiles
in Europe while the Soviets would not.  The Reagan Administration then
countered with the zero-zero option, whereby both the U.S. and the Soviet
Union would have zero missiles in Europe.  The Soviet reply was:  "If we
aren't allowed any missiles in Europe, then not only the U.S., but also
France and England should not be allowed any missiles either."  NATO forces
disagreed, and that was the end of it.  Hardly a matter of U.S. defense.

Now you may argue that this is a stupid way to defend Western Europe, that
conventional forces are a lot safer, and so on.  You may well be right
(although I'm not completely sure).  The point is that at least the U.S.'s
goal in the this affair (which is to be able to defend Western Europe if
necessary) should be more palatable than the Soviet goal (which is to be
able to destroy Western Europe if necessary).  Yet as a rule, peace
demonstrations in the West are very anti-American, and are anti-Soviet to a
much lesser degree.

Finally, may I commend you for detesting the governments of the Eastern
Bloc.  Not everyone on this side of the Iron Curtain shares your views.

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (11/18/84)

> In article <106@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:
> >
> >What is odd in this case is that the Europeans are more critical of their
> >allies than they are of their adversaries.
> >
> Sorry, I don't think that the placement of US nuclear weapons in Europe is
> being done to defend Western Europe. I believe that whereas these weapons
> might possibly be regarded as a part of the US defence, their presence in
> Western Europe is a threat to us over here.
>
> We would be better off defending ourselves from the Eastern Block (which I
> detest) by ourselves without any so called "help" from the other side of the
> Atlantic. Please keep your missiles where they belong - over there.

If the weapons are in Western Europe, it is because the elected heads of
state of these countries saw fit to have them put there. If it were truly
against the self-interest of Western Europe to have the missles there,
the European governments wouldn't allow it. And I'm sure that the leaders
of the governments understand the situation a lot better than most of
the knee-jerk pacifists who have been making most of the protests.

	Wayne

vassos@utcsrgv.UUCP (Vassos Hadzilacos) (11/19/84)

> May I remind you of the politics of just a year or two ago?  The Soviets
> offered the zero option, which meant that the U.S. would have zero missiles
> in Europe while the Soviets would not.  The Reagan Administration then
> countered with the zero-zero option, whereby both the U.S. and the Soviet
> Union would have zero missiles in Europe.

The Soviet Union never offered anything called "the zero option".
The "zero option" was a proposal of Reagan's; there was no such thing as
as "zero-zero" option, just plain old "zero". Reagan's zero option
did not say that the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. should both not have
any missiles in Europe, it only said there should be no such LAND-BASED
missiles in Europe.

The "zero option" was presented with substatial fanfare in the U.S.
(Reagan, you see, had to convince the American people that he was
concerened with peace and negotiations.) It got a rather lukewarm
reception elsewhere (U.S. European "allies" included) because its
hypocricy was rather transparent: it just so happens that the
overwhelming majority of Soviet nuclear power is land-based,
while U.S., French and British nuclear power is more evenly
distributed in the tree modes (land-, air- and submarine-based).

[One of the great U.S. presidents -- where are they now? -- said
something like:

"You can fool all of the people some of the time and
some people all of the time; but you can't fool
all the people all the time." ]

Vassos Hadzilacos

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (11/19/84)

To say that it was "Neville Chamberlainism" that caused World War ONE
is a gross distortion of history.  World War One was fought over an
issue that was only critical to one of the principals--the Austrians--
and important to only one other--the Russians.  After all, it was not
a pacifist who stated that the Balkans were not worth the bones of a
single Pommeranian Grenadier! (Ans: Bismarck)

WWI and WWII do NOT teach us the same diplomatic lesson, but rather
the danger of BOTH extremes.

					Promoting Radical Centrism,

						David Rubin

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (11/19/84)

Mike Williams is probably right. Western Europe would probably be
better off defending itself--if it could gather the will to do so.
However, it cannot, as evidenced by the REQUEST by the Europeans for
the Cruise missiles.  As Europe is unwilling to spend sufficient funds
to insure its own defense, it seeks to use US assets for its own
benefit.  Fortunately for them, we perceive it to be in our own
interests, as well as the right thing to do, to support them.

However, I digress.  My point is that the installation of intermediate
range missiles is for Europe's benefit, not America's. It is part of
the continued strategy of "linking" US and European defenses. Whether
such moves convince the Soviets that our nuclear defenses are linked
is debatable (the French have concluded that it is not convincing, and
I agree), it was the European governments which desired to press for
their deployment.

What evidently scared the Europeans was not so much the installation
of the missiles as the saber-rattling early in the Reagan
administration. While Carter was President, there was no protest, and
I suspect had Reagan handled himself better there would have been
little protest in 1981-3.

					David Rubin

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/19/84)

> >> Europeans have every right to criticize our defense policies, as it is much
> >> more likely to directly affect them than us.
> >
> > What is odd in this case is that the Europeans are more critical of their
> > allies than they are of their adversaries [...]
> > few Europeanse that I've met are very concerned about those inconspicuous
> > SS-20's...
>
> Maybe Europeans (as well as other `U.S. allies' who feel the same way)
> have reasons not to be `very concerned about those incospicuous SS-20's'?
> Maybe you've been taken for a ride all along about the `Soviet threat'?
>
> I don't know if you realize how arrogant and patronizing it is to be
> telling others what they should be concerend with, especially when
> it is clear (from their viewpoint, anyhow) that your suggestions of
> who they should consider their friends and who their enemies are hardly
> disinterested.
>
> Vassos Hadzilacos

I stand corrected:  the majority of Europeans are indeed very concerned
about SS-20's.  It happens to be the case, however, that those who choose
to ignore the existence of the SS-20's are more likely to be political
loud-mouths.  Some of there so-called pacifists actually do not know that
their own governments actually *want* U.S. military support.  Don't you
remember who originally drafted the plan to put Pershing  II's and cruise
missiles in Europe?  (Well, Thatcher, Schmidt, and Giscard all had a big part
in it...)

What is it that makes you so unconcerned with an SS-20 anyway?  The fact
that there are over 300 of them?  The fact that they are triple-MIRV'ed?
The fact that they can hit almost anything in Europe?

Look, I'm no Reagan dupe, as you seem to imply.  I simply don't get my
information from the President, or for that matter from anywhere in the
Federal Government.  I read Time and Scientific American, I watch the news
on T.V., and I talk to people of all political persuasions.  I don't know
how you can say that I've been "taken for a ride."

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (11/20/84)

>We would be better off defending ourselves from the Eastern Block (which I
>detest) by ourselves without any so called "help" from the other side of the
>Atlantic. Please keep your missiles where they belong - over there.
>
>Mike Williams
>Stockholm, Sweden.

	Okay all you American taxpayers out there, remember this statement!
If we could get similar statements from authorized representatives of other
European powers, (lets start with England, Holland, and Germany), we could
save ourselves LOTS of money.  But remember all you anti-American-defense
people in Europe, you have to smile at the Soviet tanks...

	(no fair screaming for US aid AFTER the Russian invasion now!)

						-JCP-

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (11/20/84)

	>You may ask at this point, "If the U.S. can hit the U.S.S.R from North
	>America, why do they have missiles in Europe?"  The answer is
	>detectability.  Cruise missiles are designed to get by the radar, and
	>they are not long range.
So your answer hides the reality: those missiles are placed here to give the
USA a possibility to fight out a "limited" (?) nuclear war far from their own
territory. That means: in Europe. And in the view of the US a "limited" nuclear
war will not lead to a global nuclear exchange. So: Europe gone, USSR severely
weakened, USA survives without major damage. That's US policy.....

--

jhull@spp2.UUCP (11/21/84)

In article <6166@mcvax.UUCP> piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) writes:
><...>
>
>Herewith I want to express my deepest feelings for all those poor and
>innocent people who are going to die in the next four years throughout
>the world and specifically in Central America.... only because of the
>re-election of Reagan.
>I also want to express my disgust for all those Americans who, by voting
>for this man, are co-responsible for the deaths of all those people.
>
>America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
>have to be proud of.
>
>--
>	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
>	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

Piet,
	You make the absolutely unwarranted assumption that Walter
Mondale would have done "better," whatever that means.

	Furthermore, America has many things to be proud of, even if
this were not one of them.

--
					Blessed Be,

 jhull@spp2.UUCP			Jeff Hull
 trwspp!spp2!jhull@trwrb.UUCP		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (11/21/84)

	 	>>>I could spend a lot of time criticizing the Dutch government
		>>>and such things as legalized prostitution and drugs in the
		>>>Netherlands
	    >>Where? Facts please!
	>Facts? I've walked through Amsterdam, and I've seen the heroin pushers
	>that hang out near the police station... Also the 1/5 of Dutch citizens
	>that are on welfare...
1/5? Which malinformed person did tell you that? Reagan?
Anyway I fail to see any relationship between your statements and "*legalized*
prostitution and drugs".

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

rs55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Robert E. Schleicher) (11/21/84)

European criticism of US deployment of missiles in Europe is more
properly directed at the European governments (or at least the parties
in power) than at the US.  If the people in Europe are so universally
opposed to US missiles, why haven't their elected representatives
refused to allow US missiles in their countries?  The answer just might be
that most Europeans support the US presence in Eorope, and that this attit-
ude is reflected by the elected governments of the various countries.

Bob Schleicher
ihuxk!rs55611

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (11/23/84)

> If the weapons are in Western Europe, it is because the elected heads of
> state of these countries saw fit to have them put there. If it were truly
> against the self-interest of Western Europe to have the missles there,
> the European governments wouldn't allow it. And I'm sure that the leaders
> of the governments understand the situation a lot better than most of
> the knee-jerk pacifists who have been making most of the protests.
>
> 	Wayne

Wayne must have been reading alot of Jefferson lately.  All power to the
elite!

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of my employers.
Madison Academic Computing Center
ARPA: uwmacc!myers@wisc-rsch.arpa
uucp: ..!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,uwm-evax}!uwvax!myers

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/26/84)

> 	>Facts? I've walked through Amsterdam, and I've seen the heroin pushers
> 	>that hang out near the police station... Also the 1/5 of Dutch citizens
> 	>that are on welfare...
> 1/5? Which malinformed person did tell you that? Reagan?
> 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam

I have only heard about five sentences uttered by Reagan this semester.  To
think that he is my source of information is preposterous.  The same is
true for most Americans, probably including Wayne.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/26/84)

In article <6166@mcvax.UUCP> piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) writes:
><...>
>
>America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
>have to be proud of.
>
>--
> 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
>	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

America is a great country.  You may criticize Ronald Reagan if you wish.
He is not America.  You may criticize the U.S. Government, if you feel so
inclined.  It is not what makes America great.  But if you simply complain
about the U.S. and its people, then as an American citizen, I am personally
insulted.  Please keep your rantings in Sweden.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/26/84)

> 	>You may ask at this point, "If the U.S. can hit the U.S.S.R from North
> 	>America, why do they have missiles in Europe?"  The answer is
> 	>detectability.  Cruise missiles are designed to get by the radar, and
> 	>they are not long range.
> So your answer hides the reality: those missiles are placed here to give the
> USA a possibility to fight out a "limited" (?) nuclear war far from their own
> territory. That means: in Europe. And in the view of the US a "limited" nuclear
> war will not lead to a global nuclear exchange. So: Europe gone, USSR severely
> weakened, USA survives without major damage. That's US policy.....
>
> --
> 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
> 	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

Yes, but why would Margaret Thatcher, Helmut Schmidt, and Helmut Kohl want
this?  Believe it or not, those missiles are for the defense of Western
Europe.  The cruise missiles can't even hit Moscow.  And it's not U.S.
policy, it's NATO policy.

marti@hplabsc.UUCP (Robert Marti) (11/27/84)

                            =========
>>	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

> America is a great country.  You may criticize Ronald Reagan if you wish.
> He is not America.  You may criticize the U.S. Government, if you feel so
> inclined.  It is not what makes America great.  But if you simply complain
> about the U.S. and its people, then as an American citizen, I am personally
> insulted.  Please keep your rantings in Sweden.
                                          ======

I always thought that Amsterdam was in Holland rather than in Sweden ... :-)

But then again, as you say, America is a great country, so why should
one of its great citizens care about anything as remote and unimportant
as Europe ...

                Bob Marti, HP Labs (not Dutch, not Swedish, but European)

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (11/27/84)

	>America is a great country.  You may criticize Ronald Reagan if you
	>wish.
Thank you!

	>He is not America.  You may criticize the U.S. Government, if you
	>feel so inclined.  It is not what makes America great.
No, on the contrary!

	>But if you simply complain about the U.S. and its people,
I seem to remember that I was speaking about America in the context of
Reagan's re-election.

	>then as an American citizen, I am personally insulted.
Oh poor! Now watcha gonna do? Send the Marines?

	>Please keep your rantings in Sweden.
Geography doesn't seem to be your strongest point. Amsterdam happens to
lie in Holland, officially known as "The Netherlands". But apart from
that I feel free to speak up anywhere I want to, just as you can feel
free to skip my messages.

--

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) (11/28/84)

--
>America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
>have to be proud of.
>
>--
> 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam

>> America is a great country.  You may criticize Ronald Reagan if you
>> wish.  He is not America.  You may criticize the U.S. Government, if
>> you feel so inclined.  It is not what makes America great.  But if
>> you simply complain about the U.S. and its people, then as an American
>> citizen, I am personally insulted.  Please keep your rantings in Sweden.

Ain't that the quintessential American reply?  True blue, he puts his
heart in the right place, but he has a little trouble with Amsterdam.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

jim@haring.UUCP (11/28/84)

	> >--
	> > 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	> >	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet
	>
	> ...insulted.  Please keep your rantings in Sweden.

Is it any wonder we worry where these offensive weapons are being placed?

Jim McKie    Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, Amsterdam    mcvax!jim

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (11/28/84)

In article <127@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:
> Please keep your rantings in Sweden.

In Sweden???? Why would Piet Beertema want to rant in Sweden when he both
comes from and lives in Holland. Anyway I don't think he is ranting. He's
just saying what many of us Europeans think. You may not like it, but you
it's better that you actually know what other people think.

Mike Williams

reza@ihuxb.UUCP (Reza Taheri) (11/28/84)

In article <127@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:

> In article <6166@mcvax.UUCP> piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) writes:
> ><...>
> >
> >America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
> >have to be proud of.
> >
> >--
> > 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
> >	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet
>
> America is a great country.  You may criticize Ronald Reagan if you wish.
> He is not America.  You may criticize the U.S. Government, if you feel so
> inclined.  It is not what makes America great.  But if you simply complain
> about the U.S. and its people, then as an American citizen, I am personally
> insulted.  Please keep your rantings in Sweden.

   Funny, I remember about 5 years ago right before the hostage situation
in Iran, we (Iranian students) had a demonstration on campus protesting
the US government's letting the Shah of Iran here.  What ensued was about
1,500 American students surrounding us (about 25 of us) telling us that
"America is a great country, US presidents ARE the American people, and
the US government IS America."  We were told the atrocities committed by
Shah, with full knowledge of the US government, were right because
"That's the way it is".  And if we didn't believe them, they would gladly
"prove" it to us.  We were rescued by the police and ... but that's another
story.

   I am not saying that what you say is wrong.  Actually that's the way
it should be.  You can never expect a government (even in a democracy)
to do exactly what the people want, and no more.  But you at least want
the people to be aware of this.

   The mentality in this country is changing and is becoming more and
more of a bully mentality.  The Iranian situation probably was the
turning point.  Now Americans either blindly approve of what their
government does, or just don't want to know about it.  "Remember Iran"
is becoming a catch phrase.

H. Reza Taheri
...!ihnp4!ihuxb!reza
(312)-979-7473

steven@mcvax.UUCP (Steven Pemberton) (11/29/84)

In article <805@ihuxk.UUCP> rs55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Robert E. Schleicher) writes:
> European criticism of US deployment of missiles in Europe is more
> properly directed at the European governments (or at least the parties
> in power) than at the US.
Most of it is, though it may be that the American press only covers the
protests that most affect the US.

> If the people in Europe are so universally opposed to US missiles, why
> haven't their elected representatives refused to allow US missiles in their
> countries?
We're not universally opposed, just most of us. Still, it's a question I too
would like answered: since so many of the people they represent are
opposed to the missiles, why haven't they refused them?

> The answer just might be that most Europeans support the US presence in
> Europe, and that this attitude is reflected by the elected governments of
> the various countries.
Since this is not the case, perhaps it's that democracy is not yet strong
enough.

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam, Sweden; steven@mcvax.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/29/84)

> >> America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
> >> have to be proud of.
> >>
> >> --
> >> 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
>                             =========
> >>	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet
>
> > America is a great country.  You may criticize Ronald Reagan if you wish.
> > He is not America.  You may criticize the U.S. Government, if you feel so
> > inclined.  It is not what makes America great.  But if you simply complain
> > about the U.S. and its people, then as an American citizen, I am personally
> > insulted.  Please keep your rantings in Sweden.
>                                           ======
>
> I always thought that Amsterdam was in Holland rather than in Sweden ... :-)
>
> But then again, as you say, America is a great country, so why should
> one of its great citizens care about anything as remote and unimportant
> as Europe ...
>
>                 Bob Marti, HP Labs (not Dutch, not Swedish, but European)

Oops.  I confused Piet with Steve Pemberton, who is indeed in Sweden.  You
may still think that I'm really uneducated, but in fact I actually lived
in Sweden for three years, and I do know about these things.

Nevertheless, I don't go around saying things like, "Europe, you have
nothing to be proud of."

And although I am now an American citizen, this has only been for the past
four years.  I'm really a Pole.
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"Eureka!" -Archimedes

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (11/29/84)

Say Peit, ever taken a walk down Canal Street in your city.  Try it
sometime.  Go down there about midnight and then tell us there is
no prostitution in Amsterdam.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (11/30/84)

> In article <127@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:
> > Please keep your rantings in Sweden.
>
> In Sweden???? Why would Piet Beertema want to rant in Sweden when he both
> comes from and lives in Holland. Anyway I don't think he is ranting. He's
> just saying what many of us Europeans think. You may not like it, but you
> it's better that you actually know what other people think.
>
> Mike Williams

Yeah, yeah, that's about the tenth comment about the typo I made.  See
my other article for an explanation.

I know damn well that many Europeans think this way.  And I think that it's
a bad attitude.

I mean, what would *you* think of an American tourist that goes over to a
random European country and simply criticizes it?  I think that you'd
have a lot of contempt for the person.

Remember, this is an American network that your posting to.  I have not
seen one positive comment about the U.S. coming from Europe in
net.politics.

Any government does good things and bad things.  I could make any country
look bad by simply listing its bad qualities.  Now, a friend of mine
seriously said, "I don't believe you.  Name something good that the U.S.
Government does."  Here's a small example:  the millions of illegal aliens
in the States.  These aliens, although not as well of as American citizens,
are much better off than their friends in their home countries.  We could
just kick them all out and send them back to their respective Latin
American countries, but we're not doing this.  We're hardly even requiring
them to become legal aliens.

You may think at this point that I'm simply an American that's awful proud
of his own society.  No, I'm speaking as a Pole who's awfully impressed
with the country that his parents moved him to long ago.  I'm also speaking
for the many foreign friends that I have that are also very happy with
their life in the U.S.A.

But if you really want to have a smear campaign, Mike, Steven, Piet, and
the rest of you, here goes:

Sweden (home of Mike and Steven) is a terrible country.  I know, I lived
there.  At first, my family was on welfare.  Since this career was not
upwardly mobile, my dad got a position at Stockholm University (perhaps it
was University of Stockholm;  I don't remember [it was long ago]).  The
Swedish Government apparantly didn't like this;  they put him in a 47% tax
bracket, so that he made less money working than he did on welfare.  After
three years, he got discouraged and left.  Too bad.

In any case, despite all their efforts (their efforts being 70% of the
Swedish GNP), the wealthy are still *very* wealthy in Sweden.  In fact, the
wealthiest 5% of the population makes more than three times as much as the
poorest 20%, while the same ratio in the U.S. is less than three.  I guess
they are just an inferior society.

There, how does that make you feel?
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"Eureka!" -Archimedes

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (11/30/84)

	>Oops.  I confused Piet with Steve Pemberton, who is indeed in Sweden.
	>You may still think that I'm really uneducated, but in fact I actually
	>lived in Sweden for three years, and I do know about these things.
	>Nevertheless, I don't go around saying things like, "Europe, you have
	>nothing to be proud of."
Boy, are you asking for this reply!:
Of course not. Europe's got Amsterdam. Plus Steve Pemberton, who lives
here.....

--

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (12/01/84)

> Boy, are you asking for this reply!:
> Of course not. Europe's got Amsterdam. Plus Steve Pemberton, who lives
> here.....
>
> --
> 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
> 	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

Ok, maybe a joke will fix things up:

Q: How do you sink the Belgian Navy?

A: Put it in water.
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"Belgium is somewhere near the Netherlands, right?" :-)

simard@loral.UUCP (Ray Simard) (12/03/84)

    Just a mild flame.  Please read the following:

>	>Oops.  I confused Piet with Steve Pemberton, who is indeed in Sweden.
>	>You may still think that I'm really uneducated, but in fact I actually
>	>lived in Sweden for three years, and I do know about these things.
>	>Nevertheless, I don't go around saying things like, "Europe, you have
>	>nothing to be proud of."
>Boy, are you asking for this reply!:
>Of course not. Europe's got Amsterdam. Plus Steve Pemberton, who lives
>here.....
>
>--
>	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
>	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

   Now, having read the quoted text, take a moment and note the
Subject: line.

   Now, if my point is not yet in place, please re-read the quoted
text...

   (Let us quietly note that there is no real problem editing subject
lines to maintain at least some semblance of relationship to it and
the subject of the posting.)

  Thank you.
  Kindly.
--

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (12/03/84)

In article <146@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:

>I mean, what would *you* think of an American tourist that goes over to a
>random European country and simply criticises it?  I think that you'd
>have a lot of contempt for the person.

Lots of Americans do just this. I think they have a right to do so and don't
object at all. Critisism of one's own country by foreigners often brings out
the worst of the nationalistics traits in us all.

>Remember, this is an American network that your posting to.

This is NOT an American network. Most of the sites are in the USA. But there
are plenty elsewhere. This is an international network and that's why it is
important that net.politics should be used to promote international debate.

>I have not seen one positive comment about the U.S. coming from Europe in
>net.politics.

OK. I like the USA and enjoy my sporadic visits. I infinitely prefer the USA
to the eastern block countries. But that doesn't mean that I think that
everything in the USA is perfect. I'm sure you don't think so either.

>Sweden (home of Mike and Steven) is a terrible country.

Ooops. Steven lives in Holland. I am British (I think that Steven is too)
and live in Sweden.

>I know, I lived
>there.  At first, my family was on welfare.  Since this career was not
>upwardly mobile, my dad got a position at Stockholm University (perhaps it
>was University of Stockholm;  I don't remember [it was long ago]).  The
>Swedish Government apparantly didn't like this;  they put him in a 47% tax
>bracket, so that he made less money working than he did on welfare.  After
>three years, he got discouraged and left.  Too bad.
>
>In any case, despite all their efforts (their efforts being 70% of the
>Swedish GNP), the wealthy are still *very* wealthy in Sweden.  In fact, the
>wealthiest 5% of the population makes more than three times as much as the
>poorest 20%, while the same ratio in the U.S. is less than three.  I guess
>they are just an inferior society.

Good. You have dared to critisise Sweden. I'm glad that the network is being
used properly for international exchanges of opinion. Do you wish me to
reply to your criticism or are you just not interested in life outside the
USA?

Mike Williams

mjk@tty3b.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (12/03/84)

 >I mean, what would *you* think of an American tourist that goes over to a
 >random European country and simply criticizes it?  I think that you'd
 >have a lot of contempt for the person.

It's not a fair comparison.  Most Americans are very ignorant about the world
around them.  Many Europeans know more about American foreign policy than
Americans do.  Further, these particular Europeans are making a very pointed
criticism; they are not just "going over and simply criticizing."

 >Here's a small example [of a 'good thing' America does]:
 >the millions of illegal aliens
 >in the States.  These aliens, although not as well of as American citizens,
 >are much better off than their friends in their home countries.  We could
 >just kick them all out and send them back to their respective Latin
 >American countries, but we're not doing this.  We're hardly even requiring
 >them to become legal aliens.

Greg, you picked the wrong example.  You really don't think that Immigration
doesn't just round people up and send them back home?  They often get sent the
very day they are arrested, with no chance to contact family or friends here in
the U.S.  You can argue that that's justified, but don't tell me it doesn't
happen, because it certainly does.  To me, most of the examples of "good things"
that "America" does are examples of things individual Americans do, not things
our government does.  For example, the Peace Corps is run as a large propaganda
machine, but that doesn't prevent individual Peace Corps volunteers from rising
above the bureaucracy to do truly worthwhile things in the field.

The government as a government, though, does very little to be proud of,
especially with Reagan's gang in charge.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (12/05/84)

>  >I mean, what would *you* think of an American tourist that goes over to a
>  >random European country and simply criticizes it?  I think that you'd
>  >have a lot of contempt for the person.
>  >

> It's not a fair comparison.  Most Americans are very ignorant about the world
> around them.  Many Europeans know more about American foreign policy than
> Americans do.  Further, these particular Europeans are making a very pointed
> criticism; they are not just "going over and simply criticizing."

Your sweeping generalities are unsubstantiated.
>  >Here's a small example [of a 'good thing' America does]:
>  >the millions of illegal aliens
>  >in the States.  These aliens, although not as well of as American citizens,
>  >are much better off than their friends in their home countries.  We could
>  >just kick them all out and send them back to their respective Latin
>  >American countries, but we're not doing this.  We're hardly even requiring
>  >them to become legal aliens.
>
> Greg, you picked the wrong example. You really don't think that Immigration
> doesn't just round people up and send them back home? They often get sent the
> very day they are arrested,with no chance to contact family or friends here in
> the U.S...

There is implicit confusion here between the concepts of "some","most", and
"all".  Some illegal aliens get kicked out immediately.  Most stay for
free.  Almost all are better off here than in Latin America.

> The government as a government, though, does very little to be proud of,
> especially with Reagan's gang in charge.

That I agree with.  Unfortunately, there is implicit confusion between the
American goverment and America.  The American goverment is only 33% of the
American GNP, one of the smallest percentages in the deloped world.  With
the amount of money that the U.S. has, and the amount of weaponry that we
*could* build, the U.S. goverment is not very large.  This is what I like
about America.
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"Madam, there is only one important question facing us, and that is the
question whether the white race will survive."  -Leonid Breshnev, speaking
to Margaret Thatcher.

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (12/07/84)

	>I mean, what would *you* think of an American tourist that goes over
	>to a random European country and simply criticizes it?
	>Remember, this is an American network that your posting to.
Oh come on! You should know better. This is a worldwide network, reaching
the USA, Europe, Australia, Korea and Japan. So far from being "tourists"
we're just members of this network.

	>Any government does good things and bad things.
Sure, but some make a lot more abuse of their power than others.

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (12/07/84)

	>Say Peit, ever taken a walk down Canal Street in your city.
No. The reason being there's no "Canal Street" in Amsterdam....

	>Go down there about midnight and then tell us there is
	>no prostitution in Amsterdam.
When and where did I tell so??? Yes, there *is* prostitution in Amsterdam,
like there is prostitution in many other places in Holland, Germany, the USA,
etc. etc. That's part of Western "civilization", you know. But prostitution
that's *tolerated* is quite something else than *legalized* prostitution,
which is what the discussion was about.

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (12/07/84)

	>The government as a government, though, does very little to be proud
	>of, especially with Reagan's gang in charge.
And that's exactly what I was saying in my original article.... for those
who can read and thus know how to judge a remark *in its context*.

--

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (12/09/84)

> Yes, there *is* prostitution in Amsterdam,
> like there is prostitution in many other places in Holland, Germany, the USA,
> etc. etc. That's part of Western "civilization", you know. But prostitution
> that's *tolerated* is quite something else than *legalized* prostitution,
> which is what the discussion was about.

When there is such a huge gap between what is legal and what it
tolerated you wonder what the judicial system spends all their time
doing...

	Wayne

blossom@dspo.UUCP (12/13/84)

> In article <127@talcott.UUCP> gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) writes:
>
> > In article <6166@mcvax.UUCP> piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) writes:
> > ><...>
> > >
> > >America, this is one more black day in your history. There's nothing you
> > >have to be proud of.
> > >
> > >--
> > > 	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
> > >	...{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet
> >
> > America is a great country.  You may criticize Ronald Reagan if you wish.
> > He is not America.  You may criticize the U.S. Government, if you feel so
> > inclined.  It is not what makes America great.  But if you simply complain
> > about the U.S. and its people, then as an American citizen, I am personally
> > insulted.  Please keep your rantings in Sweden.
>
>    Funny, I remember about 5 years ago right before the hostage situation
> in Iran, we (Iranian students) had a demonstration on campus protesting
> the US government's letting the Shah of Iran here.  What ensued was about
> 1,500 American students surrounding us (about 25 of us) telling us that
> "America is a great country, US presidents ARE the American people, and
> the US government IS America."  We were told the atrocities committed by
> Shah, with full knowledge of the US government, were right because
> "That's the way it is".  And if we didn't believe them, they would gladly
> "prove" it to us.  We were rescued by the police and ... but that's another
> story.
>
>    I am not saying that what you say is wrong.  Actually that's the way
> it should be.  You can never expect a government (even in a democracy)
> to do exactly what the people want, and no more.  But you at least want
> the people to be aware of this.
>
>    The mentality in this country is changing and is becoming more and
> more of a bully mentality.  The Iranian situation probably was the
> turning point.  Now Americans either blindly approve of what their
> government does, or just don't want to know about it.  "Remember Iran"
> is becoming a catch phrase.
>
> H. Reza Taheri
> ...!ihnp4!ihuxb!reza
> (312)-979-7473

 Has it possible dawned on you that you were *guests* in the US, and
 that the protest you conducted was extremely ill mannered? Iranians
 would never have put up with any of the actions ...flag burning,etc
 that you were guilty of. My own feeling is that Americans have the
 option of changing our government if we dont like it, but as for
 barbarians coming here to take advantage of the oportunities in the
 USA , and running thier loud mouths about our country, PLEASE LEAVE
 and go jump on an Iraqi mine field where your opinions carry more
 "wieght"    the rantings above have no connection to any known
	     intellegent life form, least of all my employers.
	     j. blossom @ LANL

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (12/13/84)

> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>  Has it possible dawned on you that you were *guests* in the US, and
>  that the protest you conducted was extremely ill mannered? Iranians
>  would never have put up with any of the actions ...flag burning,etc
>  that you were guilty of. My own feeling is that Americans have the
>  option of changing our government if we dont like it, but as for
>  barbarians coming here to take advantage of the oportunities in the
>  USA , and running thier loud mouths about our country, PLEASE LEAVE
>  and go jump on an Iraqi mine field where your opinions carry more
>  "wieght"    the rantings above have no connection to any known
> 	     intellegent life form, least of all my employers.
> 	     j. blossom @ LANL

We're all human beings first, citizens of some nation second.

Our policies have drastic effects on countries all over the world.
We seem to have this nasty habit of supporting very nasty dictators.
As far as I'm concerned, foreign nationals have every right to protest
in the US.

This is one US barbarian telling another to f*ck off (note that I don't
rant at you by suggesting you kill yourself, I want you to have fun).

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of my employers.
Madison Academic Computing Center
ARPA: uwmacc!myers@wisc-rsch.arpa
uucp: ..!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,uwm-evax}!uwvax!myers

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (12/15/84)

[]

	From dspo!blossom:

>>    Funny, I remember about 5 years ago right before the hostage situation
>> in Iran, we (Iranian students) had a demonstration on campus protesting
>> the US government's letting the Shah of Iran here.  What ensued was about
>> 1,500 American students surrounding us (about 25 of us) telling us that
>> "America is a great country, US presidents ARE the American people, and
>> the US government IS America."  We were told the atrocities committed by
>> Shah, with full knowledge of the US government, were right because
>> "That's the way it is".  And if we didn't believe them, they would gladly
>> "prove" it to us.  We were rescued by the police and ... but that's another
>> story.
>> H. Reza Taheri
>
> Has it possible dawned on you that you were *guests* in the US, and
> that the protest you conducted was extremely ill mannered? Iranians
> would never have put up with any of the actions ...flag burning,etc
> that you were guilty of. My own feeling is that Americans have the
> option of changing our government if we dont like it, but as for
> barbarians coming here to take advantage of the oportunities in the
> USA , and running thier loud mouths about our country, PLEASE LEAVE
> and go jump on an Iraqi mine field where your opinions carry more
> "wieght"    the rantings above have no connection to any known
>	     intellegent life form, least of all my employers.
>	     j. blossom @ LANL

	OK, lemme get this straight:

	1) American Constitution guarantees right of peacable assembly
	   for redress of grievances to all, including foreigners.
	2) Per j. blossom, Iran does not put up with such things.
	3) j. blossom also doesn't want to put up with such things.

	So, tell me again: who should we advise to leave the country?

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	USENET:		 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry
	SOURCE:	         ST7891

reza@ihuxb.UUCP (Reza Taheri) (12/18/84)

There was an article on the net a while back stating that Americans
and the US government are two different entities and Americans don't
always agree with what their government does.  I replied to that article
and said that as far as foreign policy goes, that is not quite so anymore
and a bully mentality is taking over.  In response to my article,
blossom@dspo.UUCP (j. blossom @ LANL) in <188@dspo.UUCP> writes:

> Has it possible dawned on you that you were *guests* in the US, and
> that the protest you conducted was extremely ill mannered? Iranians
> would never have put up with any of the actions ...flag burning,etc
> that you were guilty of. My own feeling is that Americans have the
> option of changing our government if we dont like it, but as for
> barbarians coming here to take advantage of the oportunities in the
> USA , and running thier loud mouths about our country, PLEASE LEAVE
> and go jump on an Iraqi mine field where your opinions carry more
> "wieght"

   After reading the above, I was very tempted to answer his/her charges,
especially the ones based on the stereotypes that some people seem
to believe in.  But then, I read the following:

> the rantings above have no connection to any known
> 	     intellegent life form, least of all my employers.
> 	     j. blossom @ LANL

   You hit the nail right on the head, j.blossom.  Anybody with half a
brain would have re-read my article before ranting like that.  My article
gives you no evidence of my involvement in the actions you accuse me of.
I'd just like to thank you for a) being so irrational that I don't have
to respond and thus save time; and b) showing that people like you exist
and proving the point of my original article.

H. Reza Taheri
...!ihnp4!ihuxb!reza
(312)-979-7473

emks@uokvax.UUCP (12/20/84)

>    Funny, I remember about 5 years ago right before the hostage situation
> in Iran, we (Iranian students) had a demonstration on campus protesting
> the US government's letting the Shah of Iran here.  What ensued was about
> 1,500 American students surrounding us (about 25 of us) telling us that
> "America is a great country, US presidents ARE the American people, and
> the US government IS America."  We were told the atrocities committed by
> Shah, with full knowledge of the US government, were right because
> "That's the way it is".  And if we didn't believe them, they would gladly
> "prove" it to us.  We were rescued by the police and ... but that's another
> story.
>
>    I am not saying that what you say is wrong.  Actually that's the way
> it should be.  You can never expect a government (even in a democracy)
> to do exactly what the people want, and no more.  But you at least want
> the people to be aware of this.
>
>    The mentality in this country is changing and is becoming more and
> more of a bully mentality.  The Iranian situation probably was the
> turning point.  Now Americans either blindly approve of what their
> government does, or just don't want to know about it.  "Remember Iran"
> is becoming a catch phrase.
>
> H. Reza Taheri
> ...!ihnp4!ihuxb!reza
> (312)-979-7473

Mr. Taheri (that sounds too formal, perhaps "Reza" is okay?)

I was a college student at the University of Tulsa during the hostage "crisis."
I didn't see any protests--probably because I spent most of my time at the
"North Campus," which is somewhat removed from the "real" campus.

What I did see was a lot of Iranian nationals (and people who *appeared* to
be Iranian at first glance) disappear.  In fact, most did not reappear in
classes until the next semester.

Let me put one thing up front.  I didn't support Khomeini's (*PLEASE don't
flame me if I spelled his name wrong.  I DO read the newspapers, but I'm
TERRIBLE with name spellings...  [fodder from an earlier argument]) supporters'
actions against the U.S. government and it's employees at the U.S. Embassy.
In fact, I would have gleefully supported military actions against Iran--
but that is another issue, and I guess I shouldn't have brought it up since
it's a complicated issue as well.

But instead, let's refocus on treatment of Iranian students within the U.S.
If my experience is anything approximating "typical," I'll explain that I
felt like a "hostage," too.  I understood that a foreign government had
overrun our embassy (i.e. with government sanction) and there wasn't a
damn thing I could do about it.

Now, my reaction was different than some of the overzealous types; they
went so far as to take the "law in their own hands" and "teach those damn
'sand niggers' a lesson."  Talk about revulsion.

I may disagree vehemently with a person's, a group of people's, or a nation's
stated (or taken) position, but that doesn't sanction my cutting them down
by class-slander [for lack of a better term], not to mention physical abuse.
And a great deal of physical abuse took place.

By the way, burning the American flag is a federal offense and, probably,
a state offense as well.  I know it is in Oklahoma.  I'd arrest someone in
a heartbeat if they burned a flag in my presence (except for worn-out flags
using proper procedure).  That flag represents something which I've pleged
to "support and defend":  the U.S. Constitution and the people for which it
stands.

Have a safe holiday season.

		kurt