[net.politics] Guns DO kill -- a different analysis

pal@crystal.UUCP (12/29/84)

     Anybody who reads this newsgroup must have  heard  that
"Guns  don't kill, people do." I present here what I believe
to be a strong argument that guns, at the very least, facil-
itate killing.  The ideas presented here are not my own, the
idea and the figures are taken from "The honest politician's
giude to crime control" by Norval Morris and Gordon Hawkins,
published by The University of Chicago Press, 1970 (the fig-
ures  are  hence  somewhat dated; if someone has more recent
statistics, please post them).  The article is a little long
but I have  not seen this  particular  analysis on  the  net
before.

     The assumption  behind the "guns don't  kill"  argument
is  that  equally dangerous  alternative weapons are readily
available and would be used by potential  criminals  to  the
same  effect  as firearms.  This assumption is not borne out
by the available evidence, as seems reasonable in  light  of
the  greater range, potency and functionality of firearms in
conflict situations.  The use of a gun does not require phy-
sical contact with the victim and requires considerably less
strength, agility and skill than does the  use  of,  say,  a
knife.

     As an alternative assumption, consider  the  hypothesis
that  the difference between homicide and aggravated assault
is more a matter of outcome than of intent.  To  quote  from
my reference (pp. 57-8):

    "The line between willful  homicide  and  aggravated
    assault  is  uncertain;  other  than in terms of the
    outcome of violence.  The speed  of  the  ambulance,
    the  competence  of  the surgeon, and the fortuitous
    point of impact of the missile or weapon do more  to
    distinguish  between  these  crimes  than  does  any
    analysis of states of mind of the assailants."

Further, on page 66:

    "...the available evidence shows that there is great
    homogeneity  in the pattern of most homicide and ag-
    gravated assault cases in respect of such  variables
    as time of occurence, location, situational context,
    ofender-victim  relationship,   and   prior   arrest
    records.   THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO LIES
    IN THE FACT THAT A FIREARM IS MORE COMMON  IN  HOMI-
    CIDES WHILE A KNIFE IS MORE COMMON IN ASSAULTS; this
    fact, in the absence of evidence  that  firearm  at-
    tacks  are  generally  more  seriously intended than
    knife or other types of attacks, may  be  attributed
    to  the  greater lethal potential of the gun.  More-
    over ... a recent investigation of physical patterns
    of  knife  and gun wounding in Chicago suggests that
    roughly the same proportion of each is seriously in-
    tended,  and so THE DIFFERENTIAL FATALITY RATES CAN-
    NOT BE ATTRIBUTED TO VARIANCE OF INTENT."  [Emphases
    mine]

     The authors go on to give more arguments in support  of
the  claim  that the difference between homicide and assault
is not generally attributable to motive or the nature of the
aggressors.   If  you can get hold of the book, you may want
to read it.

     Given this assumption, it is reasonable to compare  the
outcomes  of  attacks  with different weapons.  The fatality
rates for the three most common modes of attack are:

             Mode of attack     Fatality Rate (%)
           Gun                        13
           Knife                       3
           Fists, hands, feet          1.7

     To me, at least, the argument appears  compelling.   Of
course,  other  arguments  remain,  primarily  regarding the
feasibility of gun control, but I think the myth that  "Guns
don't kill" can be laid to rest.

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (12/29/84)

>              Mode of attack     Fatality Rate (%)
>            Gun                        13
>            Knife                       3
>            Fists, hands, feet          1.7

An interesting argument and an interesting statistic.

We've also seen statistics posted recently listing the number of handgun-
related deaths per year in the U.S. and in various nations with handgun
control laws.  It would also be interesting to see the non-handgun-related
homicide statistics for those same countries.  Does anyone have them handy,
or know where I can look them up?

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle

shindman@utcs.UUCP (Paul Shindman) (01/03/85)

<quote follows at end of article>

The annual murder statistics were published this week in the Toronto
newspapers for 1984.  Although I don't have the articles handy, Toronto
had about 50 murders in 1984, of which only a few were committed with
firearms.  Toronto has a population of about 2.1 million, and is often
compared to cities like Detroit or others of similar size.
(I know I'm digressing a bit here, but since everyone likes to talk
about numbers...)

Anybody have murder stats for other cities in the 1.5 to 3 million range???