[net.politics] Waiting for consistency

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (01/03/85)

[]
From: faustus@ucbcad.UUCP 	Wayne
> Take the following basis for law: no entity, except the government, may
> INITIATE force, period. Maybe we will allow the government to initiate force,
> but even if we don't we can still have a consistent system. There are a lot
> of police around whose job is to respond with force to people who initiate
> force. Where's the problem?  [emphasis added --pvt]

The problem is this:  is such a government claiming a special, monopoly
priveledge for itself on the right to decide when *non-initiative* force
may be used, as well?  If not, it is no government.  It will allow the
existence of competing rights-enforcement agencies over which it claims
no special authority.  Now, you might want to call all such agencies
"governments", but then you are stretching the word "govt." too far.

If it does claim such a monopoly priveledge, then it must (at least be
prepared to) initiate force, and therefore cannot be a *libertarian* govt.
For it is then claiming that it may get rid of other, competing, rights-
enforcement organizations.  If those competitors only use force in
retaliatory ways, then to forcibly disband them is to initiate force.

Therefore, "libertarian govt." is an oxymoron.  Now, if all you meant
to defend was govt., not libertarian govt., I have no argument.  (Walter
Wego would, but this is me speaking.)

				--Paul V Torek, umcp-cs!flink
	(until 1/11, then	ihnp4!wucs!wucec1!pvt1047	)